Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a little trouble with Mavericks potty training as of late. When we take him out he will go pee but many times we wait forever and he refuses to go number 2. Once we bring him back in there is a present left on the carpet for me to clean up. I clean it and ignore him and take him out but he is still doing it. we clean the mess with natures miracle. He is still having some accidents with pee but is getting better it just seems the pooping isnt getting better. I am wondering if maybe it is getting cold so he hates to go out to do his business?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think it is too early to give Maverick free roam. If you can't crate him when inside, keep him tethered to you with a leash so he can't slip away from you. When he does go #2 outside throw a party! He will get it, just takes time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's been some time since I house trained a puppy so I don't have any recent experiences to offer.  There a lot of new puppy owners on here so I'm sure you'll get some good tips.   Some have had luck with keeping the pup on the leash and keeping them close by so you can catch them in the act.   That way you can bring them outside as soon as they signal that they are getting ready to poop.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You might want to chart the times that Mav goes #2.  You will soon get a sense when he goes, like after eating, upon waking in the morning, after playing hard.  I found with my puppies that they go after exercise, so maybe you need to do more than just go out and stand there.  Play with him and get him moving so that his insides get some stimulation.  After a few days you will be able to sense when he need to go.  There is light at the end of the tunnel and you'll get there. Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Also when he goes poop inside pick it up and take it outside where you want him to go.  Then when you take him outside take him to that spot and let him sniff the poop....I did this with Fiona and she got it pretty quick...Now at 6 months she is house trained (cant remember the last accident) but when she goes out to poop she only goes to that one spot I picked to place the poop when she was a puppy....Makes it great for clean up too.....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Sharon, that is a great idea. i used that with his pee and he started to get the idea. sometimes he still has accidents but those are my fault for not recognizing the signs soon enough. He circles before he poops but i mean the SECOND before he poops there is one circle and then boom....he just goes lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts