Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a contrast...Mic and Indy both went in for surgery today...Indigo was up and moving around RIGHT after surgery...no swelling, no problem except he hates the elizabethan collar he has to wear since he is licking and trying to bite at his stitches...on the other hand...

Mic has had nothing but a doggie nightmare...he has swelled all up (HUGE...I will include pics) and he's been bleeding...we got home and discovered the swelling(we got him to the car and just let him lay on the seat, so we missed it) when I saw it, I called immediately and was told to come back for sedatives...he started shaking and getting VERY cold(cold to the touch...his mouth was cold) so I piled him in and we went right back...all they did was check his temp(normal) and give us sedatives...no other instructions really...just "keep him quiet"  he is still oozing blood...it's aweful!

Sharon~  Is there anything else we can do for him? He's miserable!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
wow that looks so painful. Is it normal for it to be purple etc after the surgery? My goodness i hope he starts to feel better ASAP. send him lots of love from me and Maverick. He is so big now btw.

G

·
0 Posts
The purple I would imagine would be normal, bruising and all from the incision, but boy...that looks painful...I feel bad for dogs in a way...not looking forward to Bo's snip snip in a month or so...but can you imagine waking up from surgery and missing "your boys?" lol not to mention the discomfort, itching etc.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donya\";p=\"58459 said:
wow that looks so painful. Is it normal for it to be purple etc after the surgery? My goodness i hope he starts to feel better ASAP. send him lots of love from me and Maverick. He is so big now btw.
Well, Indy isn't purple and he is NOT swollen at all...I don't think it is normal at all...the reason they say to keep them quiet is to avoid swelling like that...his ouchy area is FULL of blood!  I'm hoping to hear soon and find out if there is anything else we can do for him!

G

·
0 Posts
it just seems Mic keeps getting the short end of the straw health-wise doesn't it?  Wasn't he the one with the seizure thing awhile back? Poor baby...he just can't win can he?  Bo and Jetta give him a great big boxer hug!

I read that putting a warm compress on it for 5 minutes every few hours can help with some of the discomfort...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
That doesnt look normal to me...or at least doesnt look like any surgery i have seen. Lord... :signeek: ...looks so painful. please keep us posted on how he is doing.

·
Registered
462 Posts
OMG Did he get fixed...Gunner was fixed last week and did NOT look like that. That is NOT normal. Poor thing.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leanne\";p=\"58489 said:
OMG Did he get fixed...Gunner was fixed last week and did NOT look like that. That is NOT normal. Poor thing.
Yes...and his brother does NOT look like that(they both went in today for surgery...we figured we had a better chance of them resting if we did both at once...anyway, Mic is not a happy boy...and the vet didn't offer much advice...just said that it wasn't bleeding(at the time, in the office) and he didn't think they wanted to reopen it...the body will "reabsorb" most of it in a couple of days...

Mic has gotten up long enough to go outside and pee and drink a bit of water...that was encouraging...but, he still oozes a few drops of blood whenever he gets up...

It's gonna be a long couple of days, I guess...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Felix was swollen like that after his surgery, but not purple just really red. He wasn't bleeding either.  I was like, wait- did they neuter him???
He was very quiet the whole night, didn't want to get out of his crate or get up. The next morning he was much better, a little stiff but up and about.  the day after that- back to normal.  

It took a few weeks for the swelling to go down all the way though.  there is still a flap of skin there but just its just a flat piece of extra skin.

So let us know how he is doing today, hopefully much better!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hector says "I know how you feel, mate!"

Jeanene, we went through the exact same thing with Hector, and while it's not fun or pleasant, it's not as serious as it looks, so try not to worry about it.

Hector actually had to stay in the vet's for 3 nights after his surgery, they wouldn't let him home because he was so badly swollen.  His stitches ended up staying in for almost 3 weeks and he had to do two courses of antibiotics.  It was an absolute nightmare at the time and the poor little guy was in so much pain and discomfort, but now he is like nothing ever happened to him.  His scrotal sac still hasn't disappeared completely, but it's getting there - it kinda looks like he only has one nut in there at the moment!  But I was like you, when he first came out of the vet's I was like "Christ almighty, did they take something out or give him implants???"

I know it's very hard for you at the moment because you feel helpless not being able to help him out, but the reaction he's having isn't uncommon (the vet told us about 1 in 150 dogs will react to the surgery like this) and in a few weeks time he won't even remember it.  In the meantime, we did find that an ice pack wrapped in a towel seemed to soothe Hector a little bit, and when he was going to sleep we put a pillow between his knees so that his scrotum wasn't getting squashed between his legs (he only ever lay on his side the whole time he was sick).  Just make sure you use an old pillowcase, because it will get bloody!

Good luck to you and Mic, he'll be fine.

And for comparison, here's what Hector looked like, and bear in mind that this was taken about 5 days after the actual surgery - it had already gone down a LOT.

·
Registered
186 Posts
OMG that looks so painful. I think I am going to take some days off when we get Loki fixed (if we have my way) just in case. I don't want to leave him alone.  >:D<  From the family on this side. I hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my goodness, poor Mic...He just can't seem to catch a break....He looks so darn pitiful and boy does that look painful.......Hoping he's feeling better today..As Eimear just went thru this with Hector, I think you got some good advice....Give that sweetheart a nice gentle hug for me, bless his heart....

·
Registered
893 Posts
No wonder my husband refused to have a vasectomy. LOL I hope your boy feels better today, I would call my vet if I were you just to make sure everything is ok. I am sure the swelling will go down with the use of an ice pack. Try one, it won't hurt.  In the meantime
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hope Mic feels better this morning.  Kiah and I send hugs and kisses.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yowser!  8O  I hope Mic is feeling better, poor boy! I'm sure he will be back to his old self in no time. Gentle hugs being sent your way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts