Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Tyson has had diarrhea for a few days now but it didnt worry me too much, until today, when I SAW BLOOD come out with his runny poop!! I rushed him straight to the vets (which happened to be his first visit with me) because I was freaking out. He gave him a check all over and said he seems to be bright eyed and appears to be happy so told me to feed him on a very bland diet for a few days or so and if thats still not helping to bring him back for a poop sample.
Next thing ya know, right on cue, Tyson has the squirts all over the consult room floor so the vet took a poop sample right there and then! Talk about perfect timing on Tysons behalf!!!
After he took his poop to examine, he came back to the waiting room and gave me antibiotics for Tyson.
Is antibiotics the right way to go with this?

And also for bland food, I know to feed boiled chicken and rice, but is there any alternative to just this mixture? Chicken is rather expensive to feed every meal  :?
Thanks for your help in advance everybody!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Aaww, poor baby! :(   Depending on what was in the poo analysis, antibiotics may very well be the way to go.

For the bland diet, you could try plain, unseasoned ground beef or lamb, as well as the chicken.  I personally would do more rice than meat.  He needs meat for protien purposes, but not much.

Others on here are more experienced with this than I am.
Good luck and let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you- will keep ya updated.
Missioned the first pill in him tonight, although he didn't want to eat his dinner  :cry:
Has anyone fed cottage cheese + something else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
You could try a teaspoon of plain, low-fat yogurt.  It helps settle an upset tummy and puts good bacteria back into the gut.

You could cook the rice in low sodium chicken broth, he'd probably eat that better.  Just subsitute the broth for water when cooking. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was told to feed a spoonful of pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not the pie filling) with each meal to help the diahrea. It worked like a charm with us when Harleigh had the squirts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts