Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post but definitely not my first boxer. However, I believe she may be my biggest one. She turned one Saturday July 7th and she's weighing in at a whopping 70 lbs and I love her dearly!! Her goofiness, like all boxers, keeps me completely entertained.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a few more pictures of her being goofy alone and with my American bulldog, Big Head. Her bond with him is unbreakable which is so typical of the breed!!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
OMG that's an American Bull Dog??? OK from that picture ... I would have sworn that was a White Boxer??? Need more pictures!!

And your Brindle girl is 70 pounds?? That is Hugh for a girl but she looks great so ... yet again ...more pictures and oh yeah ... "Welcome Aboard!" :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG that's a American Bull Dog??? Ok from that picture ... I would have sworn that was a White Boxer??? Need more pictures!!

And your Brindle girl is 70 pounds?? That is Hugh for a girl but she looks great so ... yet again ...more pictures and oh yeah ... "Welcome Aboard!" :)
Thank you and I can definitely send more pics, that's all I have is pictures of my crazy dogs. I think I drive people nuts with all my crazy pictures lol!!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Thank you and I can definitely send more pics, that's all I have is pictures of my crazy dogs. I think I drive people nuts with all my crazy pictures lol!!

LOL well not here!! It's still hard to believe your girl is 70 lbs?? But in that pic yeah the guys head does look pretty big!! Beautiful pair of dogs you have there. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much. I wouldn't have believed she was that big either because she's still narrow at the chest and hips but I had her weighed at the vet recently for her inceptor heart worm prevention pills. I didn't want to give her too much. I've read they usually gain another 15 or 20 pounds between 1 and 2 and I can't remember with my last boxer if she did or not.....but I'm beginning to think she may be part horse lol. She's gonna make my Big Head look little!! Thanks again!
LOL well not here!! It's still hard to believe your girl is 70 lbs?? But in that pic yeah the guys head does look pretty big!! Beautiful pair of dogs you have there. :)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Is he taller than she is??? My Struddell was 65 lbs and I was surprised at that ... I would have sworn she was a 55 lber?? But if she stood next to a male Boxer she looked tiny! The males were always taller and heavier then she was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shes actually taller and longer than my American. Her dad was a European boxer that weighed over 100 pounds. He was HUGE. Her Mom was an American boxer but she was a good size female. Porky is really long and lean where as my big head is shorter and stouter...much wider. I say she is compared to a MMA fighter and he is my sumo wrestler lol. I honestly believe she's getting her size from the European line because they are bigger than the American boxers. My vet told me to keep a constant supply of high quality puppy food available to her until she was 6 months due to her growth (as with all puppies) and I'm sure that didn't help either lol. Matter of fact, that's how she got her name, Porky. She will eat anything that don't eat her first lol!
Is he taller than she is??? My Struddell was 65 lbs and I was surprised at that ... I would have sworn she was a 55 lber?? But if she stood next to a male Boxer she looked tiny! The males were always taller and heavier then she was.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
WOW she is fairly unusual, I think??? I don't think most of the Euro / American Boxers look that American?? Shorter stubby muzzles usually and certainly not that kinda weight?? I'd never have guested she weighted that much?? She looks great!!
I have always admired the ABD's, but yeah I guess they would tend to be shorter and much stocker than Boxers.

I have only seen one ABD in real life, she was in the back of a Mustang going by my house. She looked just like my Struddell ... except Hugh??? I managed to find the owner in town ... Dayton is small and I got the back story ... she was a ABD rescue from Utah. :)

I would have swore she was a White Boxer but yeah way to big. But what is the personality of an ABD like?? How are they with people??

My American Band Dawg and my Boxer both luv'd people! My first ever Working Line Over Size, GSD (116 lbs) ... not so much??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW she is fairly unusual, I think??? I don't think most of the Euro / American Boxers look that American?? Shorter stubby muzzles usually and certainly not that kinda weight?? I'd never have guested she weighted that much?? She looks great!!
I have always admired the ABD's, but yeah I guess they would tend to be shorter and much stocker than Boxers.

I have only seen one ABD in real life, she was in the back of a Mustang going by my house. She looked just like my Struddell ... except Hugh??? I managed to find the owner in town ... Dayton is small and I got the back story ... she was a ABD rescue from Utah. :)

I would have swore she was a White Boxer but yeah way to big. But what is the personality of an ABD like?? How are they with people??

My American Band Dawg and my Boxer both luv'd people! My first ever Working Line Over Size, GSD (116 lbs) ... not so much??
These are not great pics but it gives you an idea of the size difference! Americans are awesome dogs too. My boxer, although young, is weird about strangers outside of my fence. She's fine if they are inside but not so much out..the American will climb in the car with a complete stranger. He has no since that some people are terrified of him.....he sees friends everywhere lol. However, he is LAZY! They love kids as much as boxers do. They just don't have the energy or goofiness of a boxer but great dogs....and the Johnson breed get even bigger than the scotts .....like 130 plus.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
LOL I'd forgotten about the types of ABD! The Johnsons are my favorite ... because they look like giant Boxers!! Most likely I'd have gotten one as a third dog but I fell into the GSD thing and well ... it took some work to get that right ... he was not a fan of people??
That was quite a change from my Band Dawg and Sturddell???

But with the ABD I know the Scott Types do the Hog catch thing still. Not my thing but cool dogs! And I had heard the Johnson type ABD ... well uh maybe??? But your ABD ... sounds like my Struddell ... a stranger was just a friend she'd never met??? She would happily walk or drive off with anyone!! See ya dad. met a new friend! :)

I was so concerned about her that I actually "theft proofed her" I taught her "on the lawn!" She was pretty much never out of my sight but I believe that crap happens!! So she was taught ... not to leave the front yard without an explicit command from me!

If the dogs were out front and I had to dash into the house for keys or whatever ... barring that "Command" she could be gone??? She was a total goofball but I made the rules clear and she got them. :)

And yep that one picture shows she is way taller than he is ... a cool pair of dogs you got! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again, you may have to give me some pointers on those commands. I start laughing and mine turn into games lol. I find it really difficult training two young dogs at once. One just wants to play and the other is LAZY lol but there is never a dull moment. And on top of all that I have two little yorkies and my little male runs the show. I live in a zoo and love every minute of it!!!!
LOL I'd forgotten about the types of ABD! The Johnsons are my favorite ... because they look like giant Boxers!! Most likely I'd have gotten one as a third dog but I fell into the GSD thing and well ... it took some work to get that right ... he was not a fan of people??
That was quite a change from my Band Dawg and Sturddell???

But with the ABD I know the Scott Types do the Hog catch thing still. Not my thing but cool dogs! And I had heard the Johnson type ABD ... well uh maybe??? But your ABD ... sounds like my Struddell ... a stranger was just a friend she'd never met??? She would happily walk or drive off with anyone!! See ya dad. met a new friend! :)

I was so concerned about her that I actually "theft proofed her" I taught her "on the lawn!" She was pretty much never out of my sight but I believe that crap happens!! So she was taught ... not to leave the front yard without an explicit command from me!

If the dogs were out front and I had to dash into the house for keys or whatever ... barring that "Command" she could be gone??? She was a total goofball but I made the rules clear and she got them. :)

And yep that one picture shows she is way taller than he is ... a cool pair of dogs you got! :)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Thanks again, you may have to give me some pointers on those commands. I start laughing and mine turn into games lol. I find it really difficult training two young dogs at once. One just wants to play and the other is LAZY lol but there is never a dull moment. And on top of all that I have two little yorkies and my little male runs the show. I live in a zoo and love every minute of it!!!!

Nope not necessarily lazy the ABD, although you have one and I do not.

But I did a lot of research on the Breed and then got sidetracked with the GSD thing. But my point is going to be ... the ABD ... was in Personnel Protection Work ... found to be a difficult breed to work with???

It sounds like your seeing some of the reasons why but it was not because they are "lazy," the issue for that job was that ABD's were difficult to "motivate."

These were Scot Type ABD's from working stock so breed to confort hogs!! So some guy in a Bite Suit with a Stick ... "they were not that impressed!" But then when they "ticked the dog off enough to motivate them ... they were uh "difficult control!"

Not much into the "Off Switch" thing. GSD's and Mal's were much easier to work with. They did not bother with the Johnson Type ABD, I like them but not really sure what they do ... aside from looking cool!

But the "On the Lawn thing??" But first that is always "risky" I like to keep eyes on my dogs. And once trained the dogs should be "Proofed" with distractions.

And the dogs should have a solid Stay and Down, before even thinking about something like that! ANd they must walk well on a loose leash ... trained using a "real tool." Flat Collar and regular leash, a Prong Collar or (my preference a Slip Lead Leash. Not any of the assorted harness crap.

Then ... the dog should be trained in the "Place Command" and "Sit on the Dog" should be done also. Those things help to train "Calmness" in a dog. Details are here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

But "On The Lawn" was just something I stumbled, it's basically Boundary training and it was based on the "Place Command." But Place would not work for what I needed, I did not need them to remain in one spot so I changed it out doors to "On The Lawn." They could move freely about the whole of the front lawn ... they just could not leave it. :)

But ... our front lawn was ideal for that. It has some natural borders a sidewalk on one side and a two foot drop to the street in front and a short fence with shrubs on the other side.

So with my Band Dawg and Boxer it was always "on the Lawn" first thing I'd say when we went out the front door and I did the same when I added Rocky.

But ... and here's the ting ... I did not realize that "On the Lawn" was an actual command ... until Rocky (GSD) demonstrated it!??

He was the only dog I had that I allowed to walk off leash. A lot of back story there but to keep it short ...

One day while he was off leash following me, as we got a house or two away from home ... "I said" on the lawn. And then I saw my shoe were untied so I stopped to tie them.

At that point Rocky walks past me and keeps going?? So I stayed stationary and watched as I was curious as to uh ... what is he doing??? So he goes past the one house to our driveway makes a hard left and "On the lawn??" He then proceeds to the drop off, stops there and looks to the right for Daddy?? I was freaking stunned!!!

I had no idea I'd trained that but I understood how. But as I think I detailed there was a lot of work done way before I got to that point with them. They all knew it but only Rocky had the chance to demo it. And it is highly risky it's the front yard and no leashes! People bicycles, cats, dog's or bunnies.

Any of those could pull an undisciplined dog into the street! "And your dog could be at risk for death or serious injury!!" And it does not keep other dogs out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope not necessarily lazy the ABD, although you have one and I do not.

But I did a lot of research on the Breed and then got sidetracked with the GSD thing. But my point is going to be ... the ABD ... was in Personnel Protection Work ... found to be a difficult breed to work with???

It sounds like your seeing some of the reasons why but it was not because they are "lazy," the issue for that job was that ABD's were difficult to "motivate."

These were Scot Type ABD's from working stock so breed to confort hogs!! So some guy in a Bite Suit with a Stick ... "they were not that impressed!" But then when they "ticked the dog off enough to motivate them ... they were uh "difficult control!"

Not much into the "Off Switch" thing. GSD's and Mal's were much easier to work with. They did not bother with the Johnson Type ABD, I like them but not really sure what they do ... aside from looking cool!

But the "On the Lawn thing??" But first that is always "risky" I like to keep eyes on my dogs. And once trained the dogs should be "Proofed" with distractions.

And the dogs should have a solid Stay and Down, before even thinking about something like that! ANd they must walk well on a loose leash ... trained using a "real tool." Flat Collar and regular leash, a Prong Collar or (my preference a Slip Lead Leash. Not any of the assorted harness crap.

Then ... the dog should be trained in the "Place Command" and "Sit on the Dog" should be done also. Those things help to train "Calmness" in a dog. Details are here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

But "On The Lawn" was just something I stumbled, it's basically Boundary training and it was based on the "Place Command." But Place would not work for what I needed, I did not need them to remain in one spot so I changed it out doors to "On The Lawn." They could move freely about the whole of the front lawn ... they just could not leave it. :)

But ... our front lawn was ideal for that. It has some natural borders a sidewalk on one side and a two foot drop to the street in front and a short fence with shrubs on the other side.

So with my Band Dawg and Boxer it was always "on the Lawn" first thing I'd say when we went out the front door and I did the same when I added Rocky.

But ... and here's the ting ... I did not realize that "On the Lawn" was an actual command ... until Rocky (GSD) demonstrated it!??

He was the only dog I had that I allowed to walk off leash. A lot of back story there but to keep it short ...

One day while he was off leash following me, as we got a house or two away from home ... "I said" on the lawn. And then I saw my shoe were untied so I stopped to tie them.

At that point Rocky walks past me and keeps going?? So I stayed stationary and watched as I was curious as to uh ... what is he doing??? So he goes past the one house to our driveway makes a hard left and "On the lawn??" He then proceeds to the drop off, stops there and looks to the right for Daddy?? I was freaking stunned!!!

I had no idea I'd trained that but I understood how. But as I think I detailed there was a lot of work done way before I got to that point with them. They all knew it but only Rocky had the chance to demo it. And it is highly risky it's the front yard and no leashes! People bicycles, cats, dog's or bunnies.

Any of those could pull an undisciplined dog into the street! "And your dog could be at risk for death or serious injury!!" And it does not keep other dogs out.
I live in the country down here in Alabama. We have about 3 1/2 acres fenced around the house and for the dogs which is really secure for them. The ABD is very intelligent, he walks with his shoulder even with my legs. The boxer is very intelligent but being a boxer, she will straight lay down on you if she don't wanna do something which becomes hilarious and that's were the seriousness goes straight out of the window. She throws temper tantrums like a child. However, they do really well about listening when we go on the rest of the land. We have a creek that we go to so they can swim but the command (police/ military thing) is so far from my reach... but u are entirely correct about the motivation thing...my Big Head says I can chase my own stick. Porky (boxer) is happy to go get it and then play keep away lol.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I live in the country down here in Alabama. We have about 3 1/2 acres fenced around the house and for the dogs which is really secure for them. The ABD is very intelligent, he walks with his shoulder even with my legs. The boxer is very intelligent but being a boxer, she will straight lay down on you if she don't wanna do something which becomes hilarious and that's were the seriousness goes straight out of the window. She throws temper tantrums like a child. However, they do really well about listening when we go on the rest of the land. We have a creek that we go to so they can swim but the command (police/ military thing) is so far from my reach... but u are entirely correct about the motivation thing...my Big Head says I can chase my own stick. Porky (boxer) is happy to go get it and then play keep away lol.

3 1/2 acres of fenced property ... LOL well, that certainly lowers the "danger threshold!!"

And my dogs were just pets. The only thing they have in common with "true" MWD/LE/DDD and PPD is that I "expect the same level of "obedience" from them, when I give a command. :)

It was an evolution as I acquired dogs. My dog was the easiest. And he was the only dog I consoluted a "Pro" for. I had thought I was going to the "Dog Park" with him?? But I saw early on that he had an "issue" with other dogs??? I did not understand what his deal was ... so I consulted a Pro, to see what the deal was??

And he was proncuned a not really Dog Aggressive but a Dominate Male Dog??? As long as a challenger ... backed down ... there was not an issue.

That was all I need to know with him. My solution was simple ... "No Dog Parks" no "I thought my dog was friendly Street meet and greets.

That worked out fine and it was most likely a good idea as in San Jose in 2001 ... Band Dawgs were everywhere he was (50% APBT/25% Bull Mastiff and 25% Lab) and if I had one a "Band Dawg" so did others?? ANd a "Dog Park" would be a good place to find them! ANd while I cared about my dogs behaviour toward other dog's. Other owners ... maybe not so much??? And I was not eager to get in the middle of battling dogs dawgs!!

So I'll just stay clear ... worked out fine. It was years before he ever played with another dog (other than mine) and when he did ... there was no problem! And when I got Struddell my first PB Boxer and my first girl. There was "No Chance" I'd put her anywhere near a dog I don't know.

Now admittedly Struddell was the type of Dog people think ... they will find at a "Dog Park??" But quite often they run into dogs like my Gunther was and that can go wrong fast!! So I stuck with what I knew ... I don't know you, I don't know your dog ... you keep your distance ... I'll keep mine, Thank You.

And it turns out that is "thing" most "Pro's" don't do Dog Parks. As a lot of works involve "fixing" Dog Reactive dogs from Dog Park or street meet and greets gone right. One bad encounter and a new problem becomes "My Dog is Dog Reactive while on leash???"

And next came Struddell, my White Boxer and she was well pretty much like your girl! And she was well a joy for us but she was also well fast and seriously goofy! And she just gave me the impression that she had uh "No Kind of Common Sense???"

And there was alot of heartbreak behind getting her ... I'd lost my Boxer/APBT Stewie in an accident ... due to lack of training ...he was to smart and I assumed he understood more than he knew and unwittingly put him in harms ... it did not work out. :(

And Hedi was my first Boxer girl and I only had her a weak and I lost her to Pavo ... that was two heartbreaking losses in less than a year! And finally I got Struddell and I did better with her ...

But I found my hands full now?/ Having lost one dog to a mistake in training ... I was determined that crap was not gonna happen again! And if Struddell had seemingly "no kind of common sense??" Then it was my job to do the thinking for her! She was "Daddy's" girl and at home ... well she got away with murder!

She did have rules but she got them ...she was not a Barker, she did not tear up the house, and we'd got the jumping on guest under control. But beyond that ... she could be kinda embarrassing with company. On the couch and in peoples faces! Uh ... male guess only ... females were kinda "cool to her" she would sit politely and await there attention but they would tend to ignor her??

So you know she say "well screw you and back to the guys!" So up on the sofa and walking from lap to lap licking faces as she went. And I had "Zero" chance of control!

I tried to get her dail it down in the beginning by telling her "Go to Bed" (I did not know of "Place" at the time. And go to bed did not really work?? And yeah she would go to bed and stay there but ... she would disregard me and focus on company and she would plea and huff and sigh with her eyes and company would turn on me, cause now I'm the bad guy???

So I would sigh and say fine then and release the hounds as it were. And well yeah giggles and laughter would ensue. She luv'd company and Daddy was forgotten about for the weekend ... she slept with company.

Soo she was not exactly a model of doggy good behaviour "in the home." But that was our deal now once we went out the front door ... she was a different dog! Out and about ... i could not have the "Crazy??" As I said I had no idea if she was every aware of surroundings and I was not willing to take the chance.

Ok was our release for the car ... the car was a rolling kennel ... I just opened the door to go in ...but once she was in there ... it required an explicit command for release from the vehicle. Windows down and or doors open ... "you don't come out until I say so! And down meant down and stay meant stay and even a little old using a cane could walk her on leash.

And recall was the last thing "I" trained with her. She was a PIA for that I at the time. She To fast to goofy (lack of focus) and it took to much processing power ... stop doing what I am doing, turn around and return to dad??
So I thought well screw that ... we'll go with Down and Stay and then recall her. That worked out fine.

So well in fact that, when we drove to the open desert ... I'd release her from the car and off she'd go bunny rabbit chasing ...no leash required. :)

And I only had an issue "once" when the stupid rabbit ran the wrong way??? I quickly made adjustments and that crap ...never happened again ... but that was scary!!! But ... all was good and then came Rocky my first Working Line GSD.

And the first lesson learned ... was that my Boxer based loose structure in the home rules?? Were to prove to be problematic in seven months time??? But that's another story. At any rate ... there was no force or coercion involved?? And nothing fancy and at its core was I think, things started to change when I started to "Walk Her."

I think we were working on recall in the backyard, yet again, but I still remember ... the day I gave her the same command for recall (again) after I threw a ball and she grabbed it and did the play bow bit and I said "Struddell." I remember I could see the little wheels spin in her eyes and "Boom" she returned to me in a flash! All the rest just fell into place after that. Oh and uh ... she left the ball where it was ... cause you know, if I wanted it that bad (the ball) ... then I should not have thrown it away. :)

So ... I was not commenting on your ABD's IQ?? The key breed being uh "Bulldog." Pig headed and stubborn is a Breed characteristic. Cause his take was most likely ... "if you wanted that stick" ... then why did you throw it away??? So you know ... what's my "motivation to go get it for you???" Ah well most likely that's just a "Bully" thing???

But pro's don't have time for that kinda crap?? And only a few have time for Boxers (in America) as working dogs. Or as I recall a professional trainer of K9's once saying ... I can train three GSD's in the same amount of time that it takes me to train one Boxer.:chair:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL u had me cracking up about your boxer, they are so awesome and I'm sorry for your heart breaks. I had one with my Dixie, she was my boxer before Porky. We had to get her euthanized because of 95% kidney failure. I stayed with her and it was so sad. She was almost 9. She left such a void that could not even be filled. I knew though, that only another boxer could even come close to patching it. However, her and Porky have so many different traits. They have some similar but more differences. You make a lot of since with the commands, I gotta work on it. I think we have dog parks in the bigger cities here like in Huntsville but I would be so nervous, I think my dogs would feed off that in a negative manner.
You were talking about your vehicle commands, I actually have jeeps and I leave my top off one in the summer time. That's the one they are allowed in. My command is LOAD UP and OUT. They put their front feet in and I give them a lift in the rear....its a site to see. They love to go. However, when it's time to head back home, Porky throws her fit while Big Head stands and watches the show. I think he gets embarrassed....i know I do all while laughing. She falls to her back, feet in the air, moans, groans and flips some more. Luckily, we are usually at the river and people are not around....she just never has enough fun I guess....shes getting better but she still has a way to go before adulthood. With that being said, I completely understand the Germans and Belgians as working dogs but as for a companion pet only, u just can't beat these crazy boxers, Americans, or Olde english....they are such great pets but there is no substitution for a boxer. I've really enjoyed talking to u about these crazy dogs and white boxers are absolutely gorgeous.
3 1/2 acres of fenced property ... LOL well, that certainly lowers the "danger threshold!!"

And my dogs were just pets. The only thing they have in common with "true" MWD/LE/DDD and PPD is that I "expect the same level of "obedience" from them, when I give a command. :)

It was an evolution as I acquired dogs. My dog was the easiest. And he was the only dog I consoluted a "Pro" for. I had thought I was going to the "Dog Park" with him?? But I saw early on that he had an "issue" with other dogs??? I did not understand what his deal was ... so I consulted a Pro, to see what the deal was??

And he was proncuned a not really Dog Aggressive but a Dominate Male Dog??? As long as a challenger ... backed down ... there was not an issue.

That was all I need to know with him. My solution was simple ... "No Dog Parks" no "I thought my dog was friendly Street meet and greets.

That worked out fine and it was most likely a good idea as in San Jose in 2001 ... Band Dawgs were everywhere he was (50% APBT/25% Bull Mastiff and 25% Lab) and if I had one a "Band Dawg" so did others?? ANd a "Dog Park" would be a good place to find them! ANd while I cared about my dogs behaviour toward other dog's. Other owners ... maybe not so much??? And I was not eager to get in the middle of battling dogs dawgs!!

So I'll just stay clear ... worked out fine. It was years before he ever played with another dog (other than mine) and when he did ... there was no problem! And when I got Struddell my first PB Boxer and my first girl. There was "No Chance" I'd put her anywhere near a dog I don't know.

Now admittedly Struddell was the type of Dog people think ... they will find at a "Dog Park??" But quite often they run into dogs like my Gunther was and that can go wrong fast!! So I stuck with what I knew ... I don't know you, I don't know your dog ... you keep your distance ... I'll keep mine, Thank You.

And it turns out that is "thing" most "Pro's" don't do Dog Parks. As a lot of works involve "fixing" Dog Reactive dogs from Dog Park or street meet and greets gone right. One bad encounter and a new problem becomes "My Dog is Dog Reactive while on leash???"

And next came Struddell, my White Boxer and she was well pretty much like your girl! And she was well a joy for us but she was also well fast and seriously goofy! And she just gave me the impression that she had uh "No Kind of Common Sense???"

And there was alot of heartbreak behind getting her ... I'd lost my Boxer/APBT Stewie in an accident ... due to lack of training ...he was to smart and I assumed he understood more than he knew and unwittingly put him in harms ... it did not work out. :(

And Hedi was my first Boxer girl and I only had her a weak and I lost her to Pavo ... that was two heartbreaking losses in less than a year! And finally I got Struddell and I did better with her ...

But I found my hands full now?/ Having lost one dog to a mistake in training ... I was determined that crap was not gonna happen again! And if Struddell had seemingly "no kind of common sense??" Then it was my job to do the thinking for her! She was "Daddy's" girl and at home ... well she got away with murder!

She did have rules but she got them ...she was not a Barker, she did not tear up the house, and we'd got the jumping on guest under control. But beyond that ... she could be kinda embarrassing with company. On the couch and in peoples faces! Uh ... male guess only ... females were kinda "cool to her" she would sit politely and await there attention but they would tend to ignor her??

So you know she say "well screw you and back to the guys!" So up on the sofa and walking from lap to lap licking faces as she went. And I had "Zero" chance of control!

I tried to get her dail it down in the beginning by telling her "Go to Bed" (I did not know of "Place" at the time. And go to bed did not really work?? And yeah she would go to bed and stay there but ... she would disregard me and focus on company and she would plea and huff and sigh with her eyes and company would turn on me, cause now I'm the bad guy???

So I would sigh and say fine then and release the hounds as it were. And well yeah giggles and laughter would ensue. She luv'd company and Daddy was forgotten about for the weekend ... she slept with company.

Soo she was not exactly a model of doggy good behaviour "in the home." But that was our deal now once we went out the front door ... she was a different dog! Out and about ... i could not have the "Crazy??" As I said I had no idea if she was every aware of surroundings and I was not willing to take the chance.

Ok was our release for the car ... the car was a rolling kennel ... I just opened the door to go in ...but once she was in there ... it required an explicit command for release from the vehicle. Windows down and or doors open ... "you don't come out until I say so! And down meant down and stay meant stay and even a little old using a cane could walk her on leash.

And recall was the last thing "I" trained with her. She was a PIA for that I at the time. She To fast to goofy (lack of focus) and it took to much processing power ... stop doing what I am doing, turn around and return to dad??
So I thought well screw that ... we'll go with Down and Stay and then recall her. That worked out fine.

So well in fact that, when we drove to the open desert ... I'd release her from the car and off she'd go bunny rabbit chasing ...no leash required. :)

And I only had an issue "once" when the stupid rabbit ran the wrong way??? I quickly made adjustments and that crap ...never happened again ... but that was scary!!! But ... all was good and then came Rocky my first Working Line GSD.

And the first lesson learned ... was that my Boxer based loose structure in the home rules?? Were to prove to be problematic in seven months time??? But that's another story. At any rate ... there was no force or coercion involved?? And nothing fancy and at its core was I think, things started to change when I started to "Walk Her."

I think we were working on recall in the backyard, yet again, but I still remember ... the day I gave her the same command for recall (again) after I threw a ball and she grabbed it and did the play bow bit and I said "Struddell." I remember I could see the little wheels spin in her eyes and "Boom" she returned to me in a flash! All the rest just fell into place after that. Oh and uh ... she left the ball where it was ... cause you know, if I wanted it that bad (the ball) ... then I should not have thrown it away. :)

So ... I was not commenting on your ABD's IQ?? The key breed being uh "Bulldog." Pig headed and stubborn is a Breed characteristic. Cause his take was most likely ... "if you wanted that stick" ... then why did you throw it away??? So you know ... what's my "motivation to go get it for you???" Ah well most likely that's just a "Bully" thing???

But pro's don't have time for that kinda crap?? And only a few have time for Boxers (in America) as working dogs. Or as I recall a professional trainer of K9's once saying ... I can train three GSD's in the same amount of time that it takes me to train one Boxer.:chair:

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Well ... I'm not sure how that post, turned into a mini novel?? Most likely the Military/Commands thing??

Jeeps huh ... most likely you know somethings that I never taught Stewie ... about being in open vehicles. I wound up closing the barn door ... "after the horses got out" as it were ... live and learn. :(

And sorry for your loss, this Breed does bring lots of Joy but it can also bring a lot of Heartbreak. Lot's of members find there way here after suffering the loss of there Boxers. 6 months to three years is not unheard of ...

But enough doom and gloom, I forgot to say ... in your training also incorporate "Hand Signals!" :)

Struddell knew both verbal and hand signals and again ... sigh during her "Goofy Phase" I saw the difference or rather the added benefit of doing both. I was training ... most likely the same old thing over and over again, and I saw her look at me as if to say .... what??? And not sure of the timing exactly but I gave a hand signal for "Down." She looked as if she was not really sure what I said ... but she recognized the Hand Signal and I got compliance, that was pretty cool so now I always do both verbal and hand signals! :)

And just to "clarify" the Euro Boxers ... are still being used as Working Dogs in Europe but in American not so much ... save for Von Bachbett Kennels in Wisconsin, he breeds/imports Euros and his dogs seem to be the "Nexus" of LE Boxers in America???

LE K9 Boxers are most likely routinely seen in that region of country but pretty much, no where else??? I wanted to find an American Line Boxer doing that job ... since I "felt" they could?? And many many years ago there was uh "One!" But by the time I found him ... he was retired so I gave up the hunt. I figured well there is one Al Boxer doing the K9 thing so there must be more?? But ... apparently not??? There was only that one Al LE Boxer ... I've never found another???

Boxers got "reintroduced" to America after WWII and those original dogs were thought to be "to fierce to be let loose on an unsuspecting America Public???" So they sought to change them, longer narrower muzzle, and slimmer lighter Boxers and uh ... Goofy??"

"Clown Prince of the Dog World!' And how "Goofy" became a breed characteristic ... I have no idea??? I have tried to figure that one out or at least find a trail to follow ... but no lucky??? Personally "I feel" that an America Line Boxer ... can do the hard core working dog thing?? But those that know say ... no they can't ... they don't have the right drives??

And while I tend to disagree ... I'm not out there trying ... the "IPO" thing as a start. But ... sigh it's most likely a "fool's errand??" The fans of American Boxers Boxers are legion and I don't see anyone complaining that there Boxers don't have the right stuff???

Why aren't Al Boxers doing the IPO stuff?? Is a question that aside from me ... no one has asked?? The fans of the Al Boxers ... are quite thrilled there dogs!! They pretty much see no need to change anything about them!!

And by all rights after my hard won success with my first WL GSD ... I should be looking for a Euro Boxer?? But my Struddell you know ... she won my heart. And I'm just not looking for a Wl GSD in a Boxer suit?? And that characterization, my not be fair ... it is what I tend to thing the Euro's are like???

It took me some abit of work to get my GSD to be simply aloof to people, instead of outright hostile! I have "zero" interest of dealing with that crap with a Boxer??

And the Dog Parks well without a lot of words ... see the fourth lnk here.:

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging
"why Dog Parks are a Bad Idea?"

Now I did that long before I saw that article ...because ... I had one of the three dogs who should not be at a "Dog Park!"

And then came Rocky!! He was my biggest challenge and my greatest success! And he ... send me to hospital for stitches, packing fighting monster that he was ... was the first dog I took to the "Dog Park" for proofing purposes!!

I felt forced to do so to uh prove my point! My dogs don't do other dogs and had not for years but when they are around other dogs ... they do fine. Being a "Show Me Kinda Guy" ... I had to go and Rocky did just fine! It was small Park with few dogs so pretty low risk.

But there were two dogs and the first to check him out was a Wl GSD??? It was a Dog Park so he was off leash and a female GSD wanted to check him out?? I tried to do have hearted block and she pretty much said ... "screw you I want to check out this dog!' And deftly dodged me for a butt sniff ... it went fine. I was like thank god that's over! But next came a Basset Hound ... and so you know ... no matter how large a Dog Park ... your just simply not going to loose a Basset hound in a confined area by walking.

Rocky had zero interest in other dogs he just followed me and the Bassett ... just followed him. He just plodded along behind behind ... I could not lose him! Finally I gave up and let them meet and it went fine! After they met the Basset turned around and went on his way. :)

But it was pretty amazing and I saw now 'why" so many of the trainers that deal with "Aggressive Dog Rehab Work" use GSD's!" Dogs tend to mirror GSD's behaviour? Another story but I saw it happen. And while Rocky did just fine in the Dog Park Environment ... I was a nervous wreck!! :cry_baby:

Now that said ... although I was a "nervous wreck" I had no ago with him learned the value of keeping your mouth shut! He doing mostly what he already did ... ignore other dogs except this time he got to meet a couple dogs?? Dad was not having a cow and these dogs as it happened were fine ... there was no issue here.

Oh and Rocky at 116 lbs over size was one of the largest GSD's at the Vet office ... and he was one of the best behaved dogs there!! Typically at the Vet office "most" GSD's a "Muzzle if not tranquilizers is required!

But Rocky was my "Proof of Concept" ie your dog does not need doggy friends (unknown dogs) all he need is you ... worked out fine. :)

And thanks for the "heads up" on similar but different with your new Boxer girl!! In as much as my next Boxer will be White and a female ... I might have fallen into a trap??? No leash in the desert high speed Bunny chases and ... chasing bunnies only to the North Mountains and not "South Hwy!"

That's gonna take some work and now I have waited to long and I have no dogs to give her guidance ... it's all up to me.

But you Boxer sounds delightful and your ABD ... seems to enjoy her antics ... pretty cool, a great pair you have there. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts