Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Porter for about a week and he is very well-behaved.  But in the last couple days (since he's become more comfortable with us), he's been very stubborn.  I am the one that puts him in his crate when I leave for work and let him out for lunch, put him back in and let him out after work.  I am the one that feeds him and takes him out to go to the bathroom.  He seems to listen to my husband's commands (sit, lie down, etc) more than he does to me.  

Is this his way of being dominant?  Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have a similar situation.  I could tell Lola to drop her toy 59393 times and she stills plays tug-of-war.  If my bf says "drop it" once she spits the toy out!  Drives me crazy!  However, she could be outside running around and he could call her to come in and she won't, then I will call her and she'll come running.  I think it's an age/boxer thing.  They test you 24/7 to see what they can get away with and do as they please.  Do some one on one training.  Start in your house with heels, sits, down, stay.....lots of praise and treats!    It may be a little dominance.  Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in!  Good luck!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Tango hears things when he wants ... LOL ... sometimes he listens soooo great and others, well, it can get frustrating!

I think they do constantly test us ... little boogers!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
They go thru bratty teenage stages.  So its common. IMO best to use  "NILF"   - nothing in life is free  - make them work for everything even their meals.  They should in return respect you better - I hope:)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It is that way with Vega too. I think a lot has to do with overall voice tone too. My fiance has a ligther toned voice so Vega is on and off when it comes to listening and obeying a command. :roll:  Especially when we are walking, Vega tends to pull on the leash more with her. I always find myself wanting to help correct Vega but then Vega will never learn if I am not around.

I agree with Alicia though, someone on one training should resolve a lot of those issues. Perhaps a slightly more stern voice too. Practice you Barry White or James Earl Jones impression   :wink:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"117113":dl6g33rf]He is a male right?? Arn't all males stubborn???

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, well my issues with that have been the opposite, Angel & I frequently butt heads, it's like she is trying to become the "top" female in the house, so she will disobey me, but turn around and do exactly what Marq asks...It's possible that Porter isn't respecting you as he should, so the NILF approach would work very well....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Rocky is the same way with me.  He doesn't listen to me at all but Kris says something to him and he's all about behaving.  I don't understand it bc I'm the one that does everything for him!  Little brats they can be sometimes!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Eddie is the same way. I'm not sure if he is just a brat or what. We do the NILF and it helps to a degree. I'm hoping it is something he will outgrow. For now we just try to stay consistent with the training and NILF. Oh, and LOTS of exercise, tired dog=better dog (not exactly a good dog...yet).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts