Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the house & yard for three days straight gave me the great accomplishment of getting posion ivy!  I've never had it before and I'm MISERABLE!  Arms, hands, neck and face!  You'd think I was rolling around in it having a good old time!  Anyways, just wondering if I can give it to Lola?  Couldn't deal with the both of us having it right now!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm not sure if dogs can get poison ivy, but I do know that you need to find out where that plant is, and get rid of it. you probably wouldn't want that fun surprise again next year.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to search for the plant when I get home.  Thankfully our yard will be entirely dug up soon to prepare for grass!

I saw bumps last night and thought bug bites....so I scratched and scratched and scratched   :aua:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've gotten poison oak, and ivy from running the dog in several wooded areas.  He never once got it, but must have been exposed since he was right at my side.

Ann WI

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I know dogs can have it on there fur and when you touch them you can get it...thats what the doctor has always told me when I had it before...sorry im not much help LOL

·
Banned
2,813 Posts
My son just got over this and the doctor said he probably got it from the dog. He said that the animals can get it on thier coat, it doesn't affect them at all but we can get it from touching them after they've been in it. Good luck, hope you feel better. If it doesn't clear up, try seeing your Dr., my son had to get a short course of Prednisone for his to go away.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Alicia, I know you must be miserable...I honestly don't know, but I'm wondering if maybe you bathed Lola(wearing gloves) if that would help IF she did have it....Or if there is something special you would need to bathe with her with?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would give Lola a bath....just whatever you normally use...there is no need for any special shampoo or soap...you are removing traces of the sap only....Dogs do not git it but they do carry it on the fur if they have been in contact....:)

Once you have it you dont spread it by scratching and no one can get it from you or your bumps....but try not to itch....hydrocort cream, calamine lotion, alcohol on the spots....any of these helps...like with any reaction the fastest way is usually a shot if it gets really bad.....

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!  

I just gave her a bath on Saturday so I didn't want to do it again, but I will just in case she's carrying any traces.  I found more this morning so either I'm scratching and spreading, or she does have some on her......she was cuddled up next to me all night so that could be the case.

This is awful....I had to wrap my right arm in gauze.  I got benadryl, hydrocort cream and calamine lotion.  

Last time I ever do yard work!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Glad you got the Benedryl I was just going to suggest that, I get it every year, it's in my yard too and so hard to get rid of. The doctor finally suggested last year to use the benedryl because it's an allergic reaction, duh, wish someone else would have suggested that before it really helps with the itching.

If you can't get rid of it and have to go back in the yard this year go to the local pharmacy and buy the green soap this is suppose to be good at washing the oils off the skin thus reducing the areas of exposure.

Good luck and if it gets bad the predizone helps but they also have a cream that really dries it up fast.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I've learned to spot poison ivy from a mile away.  I've never actually caught it but my wife and father are very allergic.  Best thing is to learn to recognize it, then you can eliminate it from your yard.  They sell all sorts of poison ivy killers but to be honest I think Roundup works just as good, you have to spray it every few days for a while.  It often seems like it is unaffected but eventually it will turn yellow, then wither, and die out.  The vine/roots will still be there, so you want to go back and spray that.  Just when you think its gone, it will come back most likely in the same spot so you have to hit it again early in the season.   It's best to do all this sooner or later, because once it gets into your yard it loves to keep spreading.  It loves to climb fences and tree trunks as well.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I had a goat once, her name was ashley, she was more like a dog seriously lmao. i use to take her for walks, she use to paw at the door to go out, slept in my bed, LOVED riding in the cars! Anyways when she was about 2 years old she was out playing in the yard with my dads dog (yes the neighbors thought it was a riot watching her run up to him and bounce off of him, then the chase was on) she got into poison Ivy and had an aweful reaction to it. Her stomach literally blew up. It was huge and she winded up dieng shortly after. The vets couldnt do anything else to help her!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but my parents live on property in PA and my Dad seems to get a bad case of it every summer...ugh! Anyway, they have a border collie (Jeter) who NEVER leaves my fathers side and he has never had an issues with it.  My Dad has even seem him playing in it...Jeter does have longer hair then our babies, so maybe that helps...but still, no ichies for him!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts