Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8,205 Posts
There is no food that is guaranteed alergy free.    Canidae contains brown rice, so you eliminated that when on the NB substitutin potato for the grains.   So that worked, then you went to Cali Natural Herring and Sweet potato.  However this formula is using Oatmeal and Barley as the second and third ingredient.   They are decent grains like the brown rice, however I am going on a limb here to say that those may be the problem

Oats, Brown Rice and/or Barley.  

I cannot say enough about the Timberwolf Ocean Blue formula that only had potato as a carb.  No oats, rice anything.  This is basically the only grainfree kibble that had under 30% protein.      

I am not sure how old your dogs is, but if over 18 months, I would try a grainless kibble.  Also there is the possiblity of raw feeding.   This removes all grains from a diet.

I also cannot recomment enough the use of a fish oil.   Not only to the boost immune system, but also help with coat conditioning.   Adding a sardine to kibble or canned mackrel is a good way to get them too.

Also did they do a skin scrape to rule out any form of skin issue?

· Registered
8,205 Posts
Yes, a skin scraping was done and revealed nothing.
Thats good!!

The oats and barley were a concern with the Cal. Nat'l, but on the Natural Balance, containing only potatos, while some hair grew in, it just came to a stand still so there was still something in there. ).
Well seems like the Cali was working, so that is somewhat good.  However the two first ingredients are potatoes in that food.  Its very carb heavy.  I think switching to a kibble that had the potato further down the ingredient chart, with more of a meat/protein content at # 1 or #2 may be woth a shot.

Canidae is wheat free...so I think a wheat allergy an be ruled out too (she was on that for quite a few months).
Wheat free, but not grain free, so it could have been the brown rice which is in relation to wheat.  Trust me, Hanna is ridden with alergies, jsut have to find the right way to battle them.

Right now we are doing great on raw & timberwolf.  [/code][/quote]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.