Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Possible Allergens?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dirtydog 
#1 ·
We are still working on Abby's bald patches....they were completely bald while on Canidae. When we changed her over to Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato, hair started to grow in substantially, then came to a stand still. So we moved to California Natural Fish and Sweet Potato as it has minimal ingrediants in it. Seems as though she has lost some of the hair which has grown in.

She has been dairy, beef and poultry free since coming off the Canidae. Treats are limited to kibble, peanut butter, sometimes animal crackers, and recently I found these great yogurt drops (as the non-dairy doesn't seem to be doing anything).

What else can we try excluding from her diet? She gets 2 kongs a day with peanut butter so as of this a.m. we are taking her off that and replacing it with yogurt. Are peanuts a common allergy for dogs?

Any other suggestions other than going to the vet's Z diet and working up from there?

#2 ·
I really think you should try an elimination diet and work up from there.  It will allow you to pinpoint more easily what is setting her off..

Hope whatever your next step is helps...~~~{{{Healing vibes coming your way!!!}}}~~~

#6 ·
There is no food that is guaranteed alergy free.    Canidae contains brown rice, so you eliminated that when on the NB substitutin potato for the grains.   So that worked, then you went to Cali Natural Herring and Sweet potato.  However this formula is using Oatmeal and Barley as the second and third ingredient.   They are decent grains like the brown rice, however I am going on a limb here to say that those may be the problem

Oats, Brown Rice and/or Barley.  

I cannot say enough about the Timberwolf Ocean Blue formula that only had potato as a carb.  No oats, rice anything.  This is basically the only grainfree kibble that had under 30% protein.      

I am not sure how old your dogs is, but if over 18 months, I would try a grainless kibble.  Also there is the possiblity of raw feeding.   This removes all grains from a diet.

I also cannot recomment enough the use of a fish oil.   Not only to the boost immune system, but also help with coat conditioning.   Adding a sardine to kibble or canned mackrel is a good way to get them too.

Also did they do a skin scrape to rule out any form of skin issue?

#7 ·
Yes, a skin scraping was done and revealed nothing.  

The oats and barley were a concern with the Cal. Nat'l, but on the Natural Balance, containing only potatos, while some hair grew in, it just came to a stand still so there was still something in there.

Canidae is wheat free...so I think a wheat allergy an be ruled out too (she was on that for quite a few months).  

She is 14 months now.

#8 ·
Yes, a skin scraping was done and revealed nothing.
Thats good!!

The oats and barley were a concern with the Cal. Nat'l, but on the Natural Balance, containing only potatos, while some hair grew in, it just came to a stand still so there was still something in there. ).
Well seems like the Cali was working, so that is somewhat good.  However the two first ingredients are potatoes in that food.  Its very carb heavy.  I think switching to a kibble that had the potato further down the ingredient chart, with more of a meat/protein content at # 1 or #2 may be woth a shot.

Canidae is wheat free...so I think a wheat allergy an be ruled out too (she was on that for quite a few months).
Wheat free, but not grain free, so it could have been the brown rice which is in relation to wheat.  Trust me, Hanna is ridden with alergies, jsut have to find the right way to battle them.

Right now we are doing great on raw & timberwolf.  [/code][/quote]

#9 ·
You mean the allergy could be a combination of both wheat and rice? hmm...good point. We have taking one ingrediant at a time.

I see Nat Balance has a new formula too with sweet potato and venison...unfortunately, potato is the first ingrediant but it is the only one being advertised as truly grain free (although I do not see grain in the duck or fish one...hmmm), but given how far we moved along with the first natural balance that we tried, maybe it's worth a shot.

#11 ·
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
We have noticed a dramatic change in her from just being off the canidae...much more energy (which equates to getting in MUCH more trouble, tehehehe), shinier coat, less eye goobers and less pooping.. so something is working in our favor...just need to get it down more precisely.

#12 ·
Argh....Allergies really stink!! I had a friend with a boxer that suffered skin allergies and also seizures. She tried A LOT of different brands, and the one that worked for her was the Natural balance sweet potato and fish formula. The sweet potato and venison formula would be a great one to try also. I had Buster on it also when he was having his health issues, I just can't remember which formula.  :oops: Anyway, he loved it and his coat looked fabulous.
Good luck with finding a food that works for Abby. Sometimes it takes a while to find something that works. I think you will have luck with the sweet potato and venison formula!  :)

#13 ·
Kiah had exactly the same problems on Canidae, hair loss behind her ears and chest, losts of eye gunk, going poo lots and shedding terribly.  We are now on Pro Plan natural Salmon and Brown Rice which a local breeder has recommended.  She also said that the purina sensitive skin and stomach would be worth a try (the one Sharon posted about).  If this doesn't work for her I am going to try the Timberwolf Ocean Blue that HannaBanana said to try.  Some of her hair started to come back too with the TimberWolf almb and apple but stopped.

#14 ·
Our Georgie has had allergies since 8 months old. Lots of money at the vets and no firm answer yet. We had  switched him to a Wellness fish and potato formula (gives him great breath) and that seemed to help but he still gets lumps all over. We have switched to Natural Balance Duck and Potato formula. So far so good. Still scratching though. I feel your pain :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.