Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gus we have had since he was 6 weeks, started on Purina Puppy Chow (never showing a problem) . We switched him to Nature's Recipe for puppies (Lamb and Rice) since the recalls because it was not filled with rice, corn or wheat and was scared that that stuff was sprayed with the toxic stuff.. Now the poop starts solid (first pile) then takes couple steps and second sometimes third pile is runny and nasty. Don't know if its just this happens first thing in the morning but it does happen sometimes during the day. Should I switch back to puppy chow or just leave it alone????   He eats fine and never lathargic, and drinks lots of water...
He is 5 months now and I don't think this is good on his system. We do fall off the wagon and he gets table snacks ( bite of cheese here chicken there, or lick of ice cream and know this is not good but never enough to make him sick)
I respect the ideas and suggestions from this forum, just need some ideas?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Has Gus been to a vet and had a fecal done? If yes, and if everything came back normal then it may take trying a couple of foods to see a difference. When I first rescued Maddie she was eating Iams. From the first day I had her she had runny poops. Wasn't sure if it was the food or the stress of a new environment. Either way I wanted to get her off the Iams and onto a better food. I started her on Solid Gold. They were a little firmer, but still not solid poops. After about 2 months on the Solid Gold, still no change, I started her on Canidae. Almost immediately, I noticed a difference. No more Runny Poops!!  :)  So it may just take a few bags of food to see what will work best with Gus. But, if he hasn't seen a vet about this, I would just want a fecal done just to be sure this is nothing going on inside that you are not aware of.  :wink:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My last pup had similar situation.  It just eventually cleared up on his own.  His fecals and everthing checked out normal so it was just a matter of his system maturing. He was just growing fast and eating a lot and his poor little digestive track was having a hard time digesting it  It is a good thing to have checked out though if you haven't already.

You could try switching to another food, gradually, and see if that helps.  Sometimes the problem is from all of our switching things too quick too soon.  Make sure you are feeding 3 - 4 meals a day and do not free feed him.  Also make sure to always wet dry food down so it has a sort of "gravy" with it so it is easier to swallow.

There is a wonderful product that you can use for loose stools and putting the proper enzymes and probiotics back into the digestive system and it is a natural aid and is not harmful in anyway.  I have had really good luck with it, on the pup I had the problem with and others.  You administer it at the first sign of a really loose stool.  You just use as needed.  It is a little expensive but you dont' need much.  I actually used half the recommended dose when using on my puppy.  It is called Fast Balance GI by Vetri Science.  Google and find your cheapest price.  I would order two 60 cc tubes.  It really can help get that pup back on track if nothing else is a problem.  It really helped mine.

Good luck, I know it is frustrating, it was for me.  

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="nano\";p=\"12011":36bfpq41]There is a wonderful product that you can use for loose stools and putting the proper enzymes and probiotics back into the digestive system and it is a natural aid and is not harmful in anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, this morning when we went for our walk it was runny city... what a mess, thank god it was not in the camper ( don't know what stops him from having an accident in there?).
I got to thinking, and put a flea collar on him ( i found a just one flea about 2 weeks ago and nothing since ) I know fleas will cause this too.
But this morning he did not eat his breakfast. And he was just at the vets the first of may and did a fecal and every thing was clear... poor baby just need to fix his tummy. I might go back to the puppy chow (never a problem there) . I just didn't want him to have to eat all thoses artificial fillers... but back in the days all dogs ate that trash and lived happy lives ( so we thought) .  Thank you  I will keep you up dated

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If you saw a flea, there is probably more fleas which can lead to tapeworm. Have you seen any signs of tape worms? Don't waste your money on flea collars, they just don't work.
Take a look at these recommended foods and maybe you will be able to find one that you can purchase at your local store and may be better for Gus' tummy.
http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=659

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Like Tootsie said, flea collars are useless, I even had quit using them on my cat, mostly cos Oreo kept getting them off..A good monthly flea treatment is the best..I use Frontline Plus and I've been very happy with it. You can order it online at various places and it won't cost as much as at the vets.. If you found one flea, there is bound to be more also. A good flea bath might be necessary and I would definitely have him checked by the vet...

Finding a food that works sometimes is an exercise in frustration. Until Angel I never had any of those problems, but she seems to have issues that are all new to me, so I'm also learning too...Where I live, most of the premium foods are not available, so I pick mine up once a month when we go to meetup in Madison...Locally there is nothing!!! Well, Alpo, Purina, you know what I mean...At 5 mos, he really doesn't need the puppy chow anymore, I'd feed him an all stages food...

Hope you can get some answers, I know this is very frustrating for you & for Gus....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
As far as the yogurt of kefir doing the same thing as the Fast Balance GI I couldn't say. They might be worth a try also,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts