Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in my other post but figured I would probably get more help here.

The one thing Molly hasnt been able to quite get down is the pottying outside... she knows that its welcome out there and will do it when I take her out but she just hasn't figured out that she needs to tell me before she expresses herself in the house. One day I was sitting on the floor playing with her and she just started peeing :x  I need an effective way of punishing her for going in the house because apparently Interrupting her in the midst of it, telling her "No potty in the house!" and then taking her outside is NOT working. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I know I'm going to get smack for this...but I found nothing worked with Kaci until I started spanking her behind, she got the hang of it really quick at that point.

no I don't beat my dogs, but a little smack on the butt seemed to get her attention a lot better than "NO!".

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
lol let me guess..she still keeps on peeing all the way out the door leaving a line?

i know some people use the same spot over and over...so that they get the point..like a small area outside?  or let her out every hour? for a few days? hmmm, im sure others with have some great advice..im not so helpful in this catagory as Isis is doing that b/c of the prednisone..and driving me insane ..

i will be here if you want to vent though haha..:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ky it is so overwhelming. I cant keep my floors clean and im afraid to have her upstairs tinkling in the carpet. We just did a complete clean sweep of the whole house. Shampooing carpets, mopping floors.. the whole 9 (I had to chisel runny poo out of the carpet)  I have thought about putting her on a leash and keeping her near me but I would get nothing done.

Theresa. I have given minor spankings as punishment and that doesnt work either. (Dont worry about what anybody says to your method, at this point I would try almost anything to get her to listen.)

She is just being so gosh darn stubborn and its driving me bonkers.
We discussed getting a kennel big enough for the both of them that comes with a separator.
The first $75 we get that we dont have to spend on bills is going in that direction and I cant WAIT!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It's just the next phase....she knows she needs to go outside, she just hasn't gotten that she has to tell you because you aren't always going to be standing there at the door.   And maybe she just doesn't know how to tell you.  Although we always think dogs bark when they want something, sometimes it takes some training.  I actually had to teach my boy to bark on command so that I could teach him to bark when he needs to go out or he needs to eat.  But he was a quiet puppy.  You could try the bell method, I know this is popular on here.

I think though if you just keep consistently correcting her, she will understand it's not allowed in the house and will figure it out on her own.  Some of it just could be a bit of testing your authority so stay firm!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i know its frustrating BELIEVE ME I KNOW...Isis KNOWS she isnt supposed to so she runs and pees ...ALLLLLLLLLLLLL UP THE DAM STAIRS !!!..HITTING EVERY DAM STEP...GRRRRRRRRRRR...we just moved in here 2 months ago and its brand new ...i know the prednisone does this but weve limited her water and its been raining and Isis DOES NOT DO RAIN !! she stands there like shes getting shot by bb's..refuses to pee out there and pees in the house...drives me crazy since i JUST yesterday got off bed rest...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

you know Des..you could try crating her..revert back to baby puppy stuff...crate her...let her out to pee and poop and eat..play with her outside..and put her right back in the crate..might work..

check craigslist for crates? you dont need a super expensive one..jsut something that works thats clean and in good shape?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know I have thought about the whole craigslist thing but everybody wants what they paid for their crate and I'm just not gonna spend $40 on something somebody has already used and abused. Plus the cash aspect right now is uh... embarrassing to say the least... We are completely broke right now.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I know what you're going thru!!! Harley was (or should I say is) potty trained, but he will still tinkle on the carpet if he is mad at me!!!!! The little bugger will look right at me, and think I'll show you!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish by some miracle she just started talking lol... well... I dunno about that because she already "barks" back when we scold her for being naughty... lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"67537 said:
you know Des..you could try crating her..revert back to baby puppy stuff...crate her...let her out to pee and poop and eat..play with her outside..and put her right back in the crate..might work..
This is a good suggestion - however if you don't have one cannot get one then a couple other suggestions.

1. Make sure you exit the same door everytime.
2. When she goes outside not only praise her but give her a treat right when she is done. Make sure its a good one like hot dog or something she just loves!(Don't do it in the middle of her potty break because she gets disrupted)
3. Get a 2ltr Pepsi bottle and put some coins in it. If you catch her going in mid stream throw them near her and really scare her.  Then take her out right away. (This way she sees you coming to her rescue then actually doing the spanking)
4. Not sure you said this but make sure you have a 'cue' for her to go potty. Like - 'do you have to go potty?' Okay let's go and take her out the door.  In the yard say go pee, go pee - hurry hurry....Britney now pretty much pees on command.
5. Make sure you clean up her pee really good so she cannot smell anything.
6. Revert back to taking her every 30 minutes if possible because she has reverted back herself.  
7. Get a bell to hang and try training her as you exit the same door every time to touch the bell with her paw or nose.
8. Confine her to one room until she does get it. The more they stay in one room the more they consider it their living space or crate. They are less opt to pee. Let them graduate in steps and always help them to succeed. This will give them baby steps for progression and comprehension is easier.

Boxers are different from most breeds. You need to use psychology and positive reinforcement more than negative. They will train much easier.

Keep being consistent until she gets it and no doubt she will.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
^^^^^ OHHHH GREAT SUGGESTIONS ... :D better than mine lol told you i wsnt the best to answer but i tried hahaha

ill just be here for moral support hehe

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"67587 said:
^^^^^ OHHHH GREAT SUGGESTIONS ... :D better than mine lol told you i wsnt the best to answer but i tried hahaha

ill just be here for moral support hehe

Hey moral support is what keeps us hanging in!!! ;-) Very important

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Britneysdad those are all great suggestions :) I believe positive reinforcement goes much further than physical punishment.  Remember, it is always our fault if our puppies potty inside, we should have seen clues that they were going to go, or taken them out before they needed to.
How old is molly now?  It took Felix 7 months to be reliable.  Even still he doesn't let me know when he needs to go out, he just holds it until I let him out.  I would definitely let her out at least every hour making a huge deal when she gets it right.. and like suggested, make sure you use a cleaner that will neutralize and break down the odor inside.
As for the crate, what do you have to lose by posting a want ad?  I would think you have a freecycle or cheapcycle for detroit.  Look for a detroit freecycle group on yahoo groups.  I just posted a want ad on both of those for where I live and got a reply offering a free crate, so.. who knows?
Good luck with her.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
thank you Brits dad ...hehe i do what i can  :D

goodgirl..thats an awesome idea...i was thinking that too...i suggested CL b/c here i see crates ALL the time cheap like 10 bucks or free...or

Des post your own ad..need a crate dont have more than 10 bucks to spend..

dont feel funny,who cares...being broke just means you have things prioritized,bills are caught up and you are doing the best you can :D

i'll tell you the BEST memories and times of my life have NOT costed any money.. :wink:

·
Registered
648 Posts
And what does the word JOB stand for anyway....JUST over BROKE!  

No worries - take up the yahoo suggestion. Most people have no idea what to do with stuff. I have 2 brand new crates I will be getting rid of soon becasue britney is growing out of them. I would love to have someone I could give them to.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
post them in the boxer flea market silly :p  :p

G

·
0 Posts
With Seven I would raise my voice saying "NO!" when I caught him in the act of peeing in the house. Immediately I would pick him up and put him outside to let him finish, then praise him and get him really excited like it was the best thing in the world to go outside. While he was peeing or pooing outside I would say "outside" so he knew what outside meant. After about 2 weeks of doing this he never had an accident again. From then on would he would wait by the door (learned it by himself) to let me know he had to go out (soooo cute!)

I wouldnt say "NO!" to him if he did pee in the house and I didnt catch him in the act. If you say "NO!" after the fact they went to the bathroom inside and you didnt catch them in the act theyll only get confused on what they did wrong. Just keep reinforcing that outside is the fun place to go to the bathroom. If you didnt catch her in the act, just clean it up and move on. Enjoy your pup, she's a cutie!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it heavy? Like outrageous shipping?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts