Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 2 days have been extremly hot and humid.  I didn't want to leave Lola locked up in her crate while we were at work because it was so hot.  I gated off the kitchen and had 3 fans going, I left her bowls of ice cubes & water, and soaked some towels and laid them on the floor.  When I came home from work at noon to check on her she had gone the bathroom on the kitchen floor.....I expected it since I left her so many liquids....when I came home at 5pm same thing..both days.  Last night I had her upstairs in my bedroom so she could be in ac.  She was playing with her toys and at one point she stopped playing...walked over to the door and looked at me, which is what she does when she has to go outside...so as I was getting up she just SQUATTED!  Right there on the rug!  :x   I got so mad that I brought her outside and showed her where to go potty, then I left her on the porch while I cleaned it up....when I brought her in she knew she was in trouble because she quietly followed me back upstairs and just laid on the floor.  I ignored her for a few minutes, then sat next to her to let her know I wasn't mad....I think we're okay now!  LOL!  Anyways, my bf just called to yell at me because I guess she came up next to him and just squatted and went potty where he was standing.  He's not happy....she hasn't gone inside the house in over a month.  So....my question is.....have I confused her now by leaving her in the kitchen  :oops:  and are we back to square one with the potty training? :(   Sorry so long.....thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know where you're coming from!  I've been told that at 5-6 months puppies will regress and have to be 'reminded' again about the whole pottying outside.  They are also testing your limits and what they're able to get away with now, they will continue to do as adults.  This is the "teenage rebellion" phase and then on to puberty. 8O

We're going through the same thing with Beckham.  So I started all over again with teaching him to go to the door and get my attention, just like we did when he was 8wks old.  Now today (he comes with me to work every day) he went right to the door and jumped around until I made eye contact with him and we went outside and pottied.  I praised the heck out of him while he was standing at the door and as he was peeing outside.

Just start from square one with the praise and treats and keep a close eye on Lola at all times   :lol:  Good luck and remember to try to stay patient with Lola...as hard as that can be at times...She'll get it!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
If she was fine in her crate, then i would put the wet towles in her crate and let the fans blow on her through the kennel, but leave the water out. Only give it to her before work, during lunch, and then when you get home- i know you want to make sure she has ample water to drink but the more water or liquid she has access to the more often she is going to have to go to the bathroom. Since she is still a puppy that increases the risk of accidents in the home.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree with Chloe's mom......If the kennel was working then dont change it.  

The old proven method that they generally will not potty in the area they have to sleep.  You did not mention if the kennel was inside, but, if the kennel is inside and the air is on, I would think she would be fine.

Fiona comes to work with me on Monday and Thursday....where she is in a kennel 90% of the time and on the other days she is in her crate from about 7:30 am to 5:30 pm without food/water and she does just fine, she has never soiled her crate.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I also agree with Chloesmom.  Is Lola peeing more frequently then usual?  I thought Chloe was also taking a step backwards in potty training when she was a puppy, kept having accidents in the house but it turned out to be a UTI.

·
Registered
270 Posts
OK.....not really happy to read that at 5-6 months pups regress when my girl, at 15 weeks, still does her business in my house!  I can offer NO advice to you with your potty problem since I can't even get my girl to stop going in my house now!  However, I'd LOVE to know what you end up doing and how it works!  I need all the help I can get with my pup!  I have a Welsh Corgi, and she got going potty outside in 1 day!  Lucky I know, but from what I've been told its a Corgi thing...they hate to go potty where they live.  Please let me know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I now know I should have left her in her kennel  :oops:
She was fine last night, everytime she had to go potty she would go to the door like she usually does or she would come up thisclose to my face as if to say "mom, I have to go potty now!"  So I don't think we've regressed too bad.  We'll see how she is today.
She's been peeing more frequently in the past few days, but I think that's just because I've been giving her more water and letting her lick ice cubes.  
Thanks for listening to me and reminding me that her kennel is a good thing! :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote="mybox1\";p=\"14584":1ciqg4dj]OK.....not really happy to read that at 5-6 months pups regress when my girl, at 15 weeks, still does her business in my house!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Alicia";p="14637 said:
[quote="mybox1\";p=\"14584":2oy49uzg]You'll catch on to the signals too.....the pacing, circleing, sniffing...if you see that take her outside!  
[/quote:2oy49uzg]

I honestly believe that if every new dog owner could be trained to simply watch for this very obvious trifecta, and if they would commit themselves to watching for it religiously for even a week, that pleas for help in housebreaking would still to a bare whisper.  Once you've seen it a few times you'll know when your dog wants to relieve himself almost before s/he himself does.

I'd describe it only slightly differently:

Focused "surface" sniffing.  NOT a burrowing the nose into the ground type of sniffing.  It's very top-of-the-grass sniffing and yet quite focused - they're obviously intent on something.  They do this as they "trot" around a fairly small percentage of the available area they have to run in.

Said area becomes smaller and smaller as they sniff about,  and as this happens they start to circle the "target."  

So long as no one has disturbed him thus far, the target gets a good dose of doggy business.

AnnA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not really a tip to help with your problem, but with Maya, we hung a bell on the door handle that we take her out.  For the first couple of months (she's only 6 months) we rung the bell when we went to the door.  Believe it or not, that's exactly what she does now when she has to go potty...muzzles the bell!

Thank the maker we have smart children!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts