Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we've just about had with the potting in the house. Tyson is 11 weeks old, and pees in the house numerous times a day! Grant it to make it worse we just built this house a 2 years ago. We take him outside sometimes he goes sometimes he doesnt but regardless, he still pees in the house!!! We are strongly considering keeping him as an outside dog if it doesnt get better real soon. We have a large fenced back yard and large screened in patio that he will stay in. If anyone of can help out with tips or suggestions that would be great. This our third dog, the first boxer and the first male dog. With the other two we didnt have this problem at all; so i dont know if its the breed or the sex or what but its extremely aggravating. The non stop biting doesnt help either, but that seems to be getting better. Oh well just wanted to rant and get opinions on the topic.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sorry  you are having this problem.  Tyson is still a little puppy and learning.  He has to be taught where to potty.  You have to take him out on a regular schedule so he can learn where to go.

Boxers need alot of family time and alot of exercise.  Are you able to take him out and play with him during the day?  When you take him out to potty you really need to leave him out there until he does go.  You also have to take him out several times a day (kinda on a schedule if you can...like first thing in the morning, right after eating each meal, etc.).  He is still learning at that age and really can't be left alone unless in a cage.  You will always have some accidents during training but if you are taking him out enough they should soon stop and you will have a well trained puppy.   Ours also did the biting mostly it was for play and they do out grow it some but still LOVE to play and tug.

It sounds like Tyson needs more trips outside during the day and maybe even at night depending on how he is doing.  I know that Ziggi, our male has to potty 3 times as much as any of our females ever did so he is going out several times a day still even though he is almost 2.  He comes and lets us know by putting his paw in our lap or dancing around.  Most of the time they will let you know when they need to go if you train them.  We always use the word potty when we go to take him out.  Now when we say that he runs to the back door to go outside.  He hasn't had an accident in the house since he was about 5 months old.  I would recommend that you keep a very close eye on him and if he sniffs, walks around in circles, etc. get him and put him outside.  Give him lots of praise for going outside and just keep working with him.  Boxers usually don't make good outside dogs.  They are family animals and really love being with people.  Good luck and hang in there....it does get frustrating but the love and joy boxer babies can give are sure worth it and they will out grow it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well he is still young... Carter will be 5 months this month and I have to take him out like every hour...Are u watching his every move...I always catch carter when he starts sniffin then I start sayin " wanna go out" and the he runs to the back door...U might just have to watch him more and just take him out to the same spot everytime...Or when he uses it in the house dont yell but clean it up and bring the paper towel outside with him and place it on the ground where u want him to go potty at...He will catxh on soon...Just dont give up on him...

·
Registered
202 Posts
he is just a young pup... tucker is around your pups age and started doing the same thing about this time last week. I started taking him out every couple of hours or so and limiting his water after 8pm. We haven't had an accident since. He would not tell me he needed to go out, he would just squat down and pee. Also since then he has started to tell me when he needed to go.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
He is a young pup, it took me a full year to train Hanna.   Every pup is different,  take some patients sometimes different enviorments take longer than others.  dont right the pup off yet, go back to basics and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Only 11 weeks??  Jees I didn't even get Oggie until after that, and then it still took many weeks to get him trained.  Puppies take a while!   It might even take months.  I'm not sure what you expected, theres not a button you push to make them instantly trained.  And Boxers should never be outside dogs, its too dangerous and they need to be inside with their family.  Don't punish him for being a normal puppy!  Hang in there, it will get better.  Feel free to rant here, sometimes it feels good to vent.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Excellent advice ^^^^^!
Also, when we first got Henry, he was 14 weeks.  We took him out every hour, and he peed every time!  We would even get up in the middle of the night to let him out.  It was December when we got him and raining!  Talk about discouraging to a puppy to go out! :roll:   It took a couple of months, but he finally got it.  I think another thing that helps is bell training.  Now would be a good time to go to a craft store, Wal-Mart may even have them.  Get a really big jingle bell, about 2 inches.  Cut a length of string long enough for the bell to hang from the door knob down to the pup's nose level.  Every time you go out, ring the bell and try to get the pup to ring the bell.  It took Henry a few weeks to understand that bell meant outside, but now it's wonderful!  He just goes up and noses the bell when he wants to go out.  Funny thing is, if we don't get there fast enough for him, he reaches up and whacks the bell with his paw and it rings really loudly.  Too cute! :D
We're here for ya anytime you need to vent.  Good luck and hang in there.  It will get better.
Hugs,
Zhanna

·
Registered
441 Posts
The bell training has been a great tool for us as well! But as Zhanna stated above, they get impatient! Baxter headbutts the bells, sometimes with a running start to it! Also, Baxter caught onto the bell training within a few weeks too, its worth a try!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh it definitely can be frustrating, no doubt about that....I've talked with people on here and at my meetup and the general consensus is it takes about 6 mos to potty train....You do need tons of patience and something to think about, boxers are a bit of empath, they sense things, so your frustration may be coming thru to Tyson...When we brought Angel home at 18 mos, she was not housebroken and it took about 5 mos to get her trained..I was soo frustrated and I could feel myself turning that frustration on her, so had to take a deep breath and step back for a minute.....Believe me, it will be like one day that light bulb will go off and Tyson will get it...When he has an accident inside, take the towel you use to clean it up outside, place it where you want him to go, sometimes that helps..Also, if you aren't already doing this, take him out on lead, the lead stays on til after he does his business. Teach him to learn the difference between hygeine and play time....And tons of praise  :) Who cares if you look like a fool jumping up and down after he has peed or pooped..... :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our Layla is about 6.5 months now and we seem to be having difficulty getting her over that last hump of potty training.  She seems to get the concept, but seems to have a hard time holding it.  She had a bladder infection maybe two months ago and we thougth she might have one again because she started going in her crate again.  The Vet has put her back on antibiotics, so we'll see if that helps.  We are just keeping a close eye on her and trying to make sure we take her out every 45mins to an hour.

Does anyone know if it is common for boxers to get bladder or urinary tract infections?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I picked Molly up the lady told me that if I seen her eat or drink anything that I should wait about fifteen minutes and then take her out. I also can tell when she has to go because she starts sniffing around and usually goes somewhere where she doesnt think I will see her. Which also makes me wonder because unless she is hiding to go potty she never leaves my side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When we got Rox she was 12 weeks old and i used to take her out every 30 mins and say wee wee, i would praise her like mad when she did it and ingnored anything she did in the house...she was fully trained in a couple of weeks ...just keep watching him for signs eg sniffing circling ect and if he does take him straight outside..make sure you clean any indoor areas where he has done it really well as if he can still smell it he will just keep going back there

hope this helps Lindsey x

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you crate-training?  I find that all dogs NEED to go to the bathroom after they wake up, just like humans.  If your dog is being crate-trained, sleeping in the crate and when he/she wakes up, take him out immediately.  Don't let him/her walk to the door to go outside but pick her/him up and take him/her out immediately.  A job will probably be done so get all excited, praise him/her and lots of treats.  Continue and repeat :D

It does get frustrating but it works.  Also make sure that your dog only has one or two rooms that he/she can roam.  When we were training it was only one room and that's the living room, where I was at all times (most of the time).  Hold on, she's asking to go out ;)... Ok so where was I?  Oh right, if you keep her in one room, she'll learn that's the living space and will not want to use the bathroom in there (as they get older, they don't sleep as much so the above solution doesn't work quite well... that's why we confine).  

When you catch him/her going to the bathroom start screaming, not at the dog but just do something different to get her/his attention, let her/him know that that wasn't what is expected and take her out to finish the job.

Maggie is 6 mos old.  She's been completely trained and has been since 4.5 mos old.  Just be consistance, it will work.
Another reason why Crate-training is good is because they will.not. go to the bathroom in their crate.  So when you take them out they'll go to the bathroom immediately.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Roozer\";p=\"59198 said:
When we got Rox she was 12 weeks old and i used to take her out every 30 mins and say wee wee, i would praise her like mad when she did it and ingnored anything she did in the house...she was fully trained in a couple of weeks ...just keep watching him for signs eg sniffing circling ect and if he does take him straight outside..make sure you clean any indoor areas where he has done it really well as if he can still smell it he will just keep going back there

hope this helps Lindsey x
This is funny (the wee wee thing).  My sister says She-she when she had dogs.  Now she says she-she every time she's going to the bathroom.  Once both her and my dad were leaving the table to use the washroom (multiple washrooms in the house).  She left saying she was going she-she.  My mom started laughing and said "And Dad's going he-he).

·
Registered
59 Posts
AWWWW!!!  He's only a BABY!!!!    I know it is frustrating but potty training takes months!!!  I have a six month old and just adopted a 4 month old male.  The male seems to need to go out much more often, after they play, when they wake up from a nap, before bed, after eating or drinking, and about every hour ( he does sleep throught the night though).  I know it sounds llike alot but they have mush for brains right now and you just have to show them what to do...repetition, repetition, repetition.   In my opinion, no dog should be an outside dog..they are pack animals and need to be with their pack (family), so just hang in there ..remember...he is part of your family and still such a baby right now...one day (soon!!!) the light will go on and he'll say "OOOHHHHH, that's what you want me to do!!!!"   LOL!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts