Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Potty Training/Crate Training

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Barbs2Ks 
#1 ·
Faith is a 10 week old female boxer. She's my first dog and has been awesome so far. Currently, she's just peeing almost defiantly, I'll take her out for 10 minutes to pee and when I think she's done, we go inside and she starts peeing. I yell at her to stop and she gets startled and then I take her outside. I leave her for a few minutes and clean up with pee with some vinegar. Then I take her inside and we carry on with our day. She's been great with #2's but peeing has been about 1 - 2 accidents a day. I think she's fine in terms of exercise, diet, water etc. She's also had a couple crate accidents, but that might be because I did hear her yelp at night.

Also is the crate ever to be used to punish? If she for example pee's in the house, should I put her in her crate? She spends a lot of time in there in general. But I don't know what to do with her after she's had an accident, if anything.

Thanks!!! I love this forum.

#3 ·
Hello and welcome! Faith looks like a real cutie!
For the clean up after Faith pees, you want to use Natures Miracle. It can be purchased at Petco, Petsmart, etc. That will get rid of the urine smell, so Faith will not be tempted to go pee there again.
If you yell at Faith when she is going or startle her or punish her, she will just learn to go somewhere else while you are not looking. If you catch her in the act, pick her up and bring her outside right away. You can blot up the urine on a  paper towel and bring that outside with you and lay it down where you want Faith to go. That might help her figure out where you want her to pee. If you don't catch her in the act but see the mess, just clean it up and go on about your business.
NEVER use her crate as a punishment. If you do it even once, you destroy the meaning of what the crate stands for--her quiet and safe place to be when you are not home. You never want to give her "home" a negative feeling. Don't ever punish her in it. Don't use her crate for time out. If you feel you need to give Faith a time out, find another area, a gated off room works well.
Remember that Faith is still very young and does not have complete control over her bladder. Frequent potty breaks are a necessity for pups at this age. It will happen, I promise! It just takes a LOT of patience and paper towels!  :lol:

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. Its amazing how you can be so proud when a puppy does the right thing in terms of potty training, but 30 seconds later she looks at you with those cute eyes while peeing freely on the carpet and your joy instantly turns to anger. But thats the way it is. Also after their first/second shots does there skin get tender and dry ... her hair is gone by her shoulder, its about pea size and I assume its where she got her shots.

Thanks so much!!

#6 ·
Sorry, I missed this..Welcome to the forum..Your avatar I assume is Faith, she is a cutie....There is a Sticky topic in the General Boxer section regarding crate training...I would never use the crate as a punishment for accidents..You want Faith to associate her crate with good things and that would make it a negative for her...Most of the times we don't catch their accidents, so no punishment should be done at all...Just clean it up, mumble to yourself(lol) and go on..A quick shout if you catch her, a lot of times will stop her and can give you enuf time to grab her and take her outside..Also when you clean up an accident, take the towel you use and place it outside where you would like her to go....Hope that's some help... :)

#7 ·
A skin baby goes to the bathroom (in their diaper) at least once an hour.    A puppy has a much smaller bladder than that so you have to figure that they need to go more often.   When Cuda first came home at approx 7 weeks........I picked her up and took her outside every 15 to 30 minutes for about 5 minutes at a time.    Within a few weeks she had it down and NEVER had an accident in the house.    Soon after she associated the door I took her to, with bladder relief and would go to the door to let me know.    It takes alot more effort on your part than it does for your pup.

Good luck

#8 ·
The Nature's Miracle is AWESOME, I've been using it. And the advise to bring the paper towel outside does work well too. That worked for us althougth he is taking a few steps back and have gone back to this. No accidents last night so I'm celebrating that.

Try time out in a room for corrections definitley not the crate that is her only place that is just hers and should be considered her safe haven.

Welcome from MA and good luck. Logan is 11 weeks so I'm going through some of the same.

#9 ·
Timeouts are great, Kiah doesn't have potty or crate problems but i use timeouts when she is jumping on guests and won't settle or if she has been bad (gives me a couple of minutes to cool down too  :) ).  I put her in a bathroom but not more than 2 minutes each time.  If she is jumping on kids, I make them give her the timeouts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.