Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Potty Training Help

4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  sully 
#1 ·
I have read all of the post about potty training. I have tried everything and I understand the age of Loki there will be accidents. But it gets irritating for ex: today while me and future hubby were watching TV, Loki popped a squat right in front of us and peed. We take him out any where between 2 and 4 hours. I get up with him all through out the day (I work a very late shift) when I here him crying, but sometimes he doesn't go. I really don't know what else to do. Somebody please help. I have his leash hanging by the door, I am trying to teach him the bell method but with a leash. Sometimes he will touch the leash but then other times he doesn't. He will go outside when you take him outside and there also has been a couple of times that he has used the patio, which wants me to think the we have almost got him trained. But then he does his buisness inside again. We still have the pee pads out just in case but sometimes he will use them and then other times he won't. Speaking up the pee pads does anybody have a boxer that is picky like Loki and if he has peed on them before he goes poop, he goes somewhere else to poop viversa. I am not understanding. I have never had a dog so picky. Please somebody help before I end up pulling my hair all out.
Melissa

#4 ·
2 months is so young.   Hell Oggie is about 5 months and he still has accidents.  "No" when you catch him going, and praise when he goes outside.  I wish there was a secret trick I could give you, but it's all about consistency.  It just takes a while for them to get it.  Take them out immediately after every meal.  In-between that it's a guessing game.  Just keep taking him out as much as possible.  Because he's so young, he can't hold his bladder very long at all.  Seriously take him out every hour.  Better sooner than later. Personally I never would use pee pads, it just trains them to go in the house.

#5 ·
The only hard time for me to take him out is when I am sleeping. I tried that yesturday and got no sleep whatso ever it feels like. He does wake me up when he needs to go by crying in his crate. His schedule is so off right now. They only thing we do at night when the future hubby is sleeping or during the day is when he starts crying and wakes up we will get up and let him outside. He is able to hold it for a little bit but other than that hes pretty good. I just wish he would hurry up and realize hey i have to use the grass instead of the carpet..LOL!!!

#6 ·
2 months...8 weeks? At 8 weeks please understand that Loki does not have a lot, if any control over his bladder or bowels. Potty training takes a ton of patience and consistancy. You need to take him out the same door every time. It's also a good idea to have him sit at the door before taking him out.  When Loki has an accident in the house, pick it up or soak it up in a paper towel and place that outside where you want him to do his business. Clean up the spot where he had the accident, Natures Miracle is a great cleaner for this, and move on. If he pees right in front of you, pick him up while he is still peeing and bring him outside right away to let him finish his business outside. I don't really believe in punishment for potty issues, because I think it just gives them the message that you get mad if he pees in front of you, so he will learn to hide to go to the bathroom. When he does go potty outside, throw a party. Treat and praise him like you are a crazy person. I can remember being outside at 2 am treating and praising like a mad person. Yeah the neighbors thought I was crazy, but who cares. Housebreaking takes a lot of time, but hang in there. He will get it, I promise, they all do!  :wink:

#7 ·
I didn't even get Oggie until about 14 weeks and he went on the floor about 3 times a day for several weeks.  I can't imagine an 8 week old pup.  I would have been running around following him with a bucket!  The fact that Loki can even sometimes tell you when he needs to go is amazing.  It sounds like he's doing great.  His schedule has to do with when you feed him, he has no control over his own schedule.  And he's already sleeping in the crate?  Your dog sounds amazing.

#8 ·
Yea the breeder started crate training the puppies when she was weening them. He goes into his crate and sleeps pretty much all night.

Tootsie-The natures miracle is the greatest ever that is what I started with. And will keep using it. At least Loki is getting to where he can hold his poop now, there for awhile there was no holding it period. We really only have one door for him to go out right now. We currently live in an apartment for the next month so it is kind hard to pick him up real quick and rush down the stairs to get him to the grass.

Thank you for all of the advise desperatly needed.

#9 ·
Hang in there Melissa, Like was already stated, Loki is still a baby...I know, doesn't make it easier on you I realize..Have some patience, take a deep breath and remind yourself, this too shall pass....A drink every now and again doesn't hurt either :lol:

G
#10 ·
We got Jetta at 6 weeks...she already seemed able to hold it a few hours at a time...by 12 weeks, we had her housebroken 85% while we were in the house...we used the bell...What we do with the bell is actually lift her paw and make her touch it..then we let her outside...she picked it up consistantly in 2 days...but we had to Make her ring the bell with her paw...worked wonders for us.

#12 ·
We are having the same issues with Trakkar and Shyla.  We crate our boxers while at work.  Our boxers are 12 wks old yesterday and the potty training had been going Ok until about a week ago.  They have taken steps back in their potty training this week and it's driving us nuts.  We work during the week and I have the luxury of coming home for lunch to let them out.  We have them on a schedule of 6am. 8am 12pm and 5:30 pm then about every hour when we are home.  Things go in spurts.  They will do great for a day or so then start doing their duty I swear every 15 mins.  Of course with two pups it makes it double the trouble.

#13 ·
harley is 12 weeks and does go to the door to potty.. however we still have accidents in the house.. especially at night when its dark outside.. they just cant help it.. emagine a baby with no diaper on and trying to find a way to tell you they need to pee.

hang in there. it will come in time.. just be consistant.. and everything else that has been stated here.

best of luck

#14 ·
2-4 hours is way too long for a 2 month old pup. You have some time in front of you yet before you have a reliable house trained dog. Give it time. Be patient and most of all consistant. Out after meals. Out if they look funny, out if you think they may need it. Positive praise each and every time they do go outside.

#16 ·
Like everyone else says it just takes time...With Carter I let him run the house while we are sleeping or while im gone to work...I have a bell around his neck so I hear him when he gets up while im sleep so I will get up and let him out..He uses it ande comes right back in the house and goes to sleep...But I also have those puppy pads by the door he goes out to use the washroom so while im at work if he goes he does it on those pads...And when he is out side I keep saying the word "Potty" and now after a week or so everytime we go out I say "Potty" and he does before he wants to play...ANd the bell around his neck is great..I always know where he is...so if hes play then he stops playin and I hear him moving I get up and let him out

#18 ·
everyone is right on about what they said, sumya is 8 months and still has accidents from time to time. imo loki is doing terrific for such a young pup, keep up the good work! :D

#20 ·
Rocky is only 8 weeks old and he is doing great at the potty training.  I mean he does has accidents, but we do take him out about every hour.  He sleeps all night, with us, this does help with the potty training.  We get up in the morning the first thing we do is take him out, he pees and poops and then we bring him in I feed him and about 1/2 hour after that I take him out again, he poops again.  He is crated (which he hates while we are at work,)  When our son gets home from school he takes him out.  Then my husband gets home from work he is feed and then taken out again.  After a nap, or playing, we take him out.  You have to really watch, and watch him like a hawk, he will get it sooner or later and it might take another month or so.

#21 ·
Hi Melissa. Our Copper is 9 weeks and we take him out about every hour, this would be about 30 minutes after he eats, then again right after any playtime, then again after any nap.  Also, after he eats his dinner we take the food and water bowls away for the night and he voids at least 2x before bed and he sleeps all night. We give lots of praise after he voids and also give treats when we can remember, sometimes we are taking him out too quickly for a treat. We are also learning to be patient and consistent because it is very time consuming. Best of luck and from what we are told the puppy stage is worth the life time of boxer love!

#22 ·
Cosmo is the same way. He is 13 weeks old today and he probably has at least 1-2 accidents in the house a day. We don't let him out the same door every time to do his business, sometimes its the front, sometimes its the back, which is probably why he doesn't know where to go... I've been trying to get my fianc

#23 ·
Thank you everybody. Things are alot better now.  He has not had any messes lately and has been using his pee pads if we can not get him outside or he can't tell us quick enough. Things are really getting better. We will see what is going to be like after him staying with our friend this weekend why we go out of town.

#24 ·
My Bucky is 9 weeks old and he is also doing a great job going potty outside. However I do make sure my dog goes outside every 30-45min during his training though. I take him to a certain part of my yard (I want him to lean to go potty & pee in a certain spot and not over the whole yard). The ONLY PROBLEM I have is when it's raining, he won't leave my front porch (he don't seem to like the rain).

Just hand in their but I think 2 - 4 hrs is a long time for a puppy to hold it.

Bucky has only peepee on the floow 2x in the week that I have had him. So I'm happy with him. I also know he will potty on the floor many more times before he 100% Learns

#25 ·
Since we are on the topic of potty training I am curious about a couple points. My Britney is around 9 months and doing very well in her crate. When I am home, I take her out every hour and she is learning to go potty in the same place every time and starting to pee on command. I take her out the same door every time and she is now learning when I put her down in this room to head to the only door she knows that leads outside.

At night she sleeps in our room in her crate and our schedule is 6:00pm eat

#26 ·
MY first question is if she is crate trained then why isn't she in the crate during the day while you are not at home. With you locking her in the bathroom and not in her crate she is going to learn to poop on the floor and that is what she is going to do. It will defeat your pottiy training. We keep Loki i nhis crate when no one is home. We have started to keep him out of his crate when we are home and sleeping. It sounds like she knows when it is time for her to go outside and do her buisness. I guess I just don't believe on locking an animal in a room just to be puppy proofed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.