Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I take my puppy out and he goes potty, should I reward him with a treat right there on the spot outside, or wait til we get inside?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
right there on the spot.  make a big deal of it, hooting hollaring, lots of good boys and a treat.

if you wait too long he wont know what hes being rewarded for.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yep..right there on the spot. My neighbors thought (and probably still do) I was nuts when I was outside doing the happy potty dance at 2 a.m.!   :p

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that is what I have been doing, just wanted to see what you all did.  He is learning so fast.  I have only had him for little over a week (he is 8 weeks), and I have him already going to the door, scratching the glass door, then sitting down when he is ready to go out.  He has not had an indoor accident for about 3 days.  He is so smart!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
dont lighten up on the praise though.  They have a tendency to regress a little bit

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yes... right there on the spot! If you wait to do it when you get inside then they will think that coming inside is what they are getting rewarded for and then they will just pretend to go potty or walk over to the door and wait to go in... make sense?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Keep up the praise, puppies tend to backslide a bit after awhile, just about the time you think they have it all figured out, they go into this slump...Generally it takes til they are about 6 mos old before you can really figure that they are house broke and even then, accidents can still happen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts