1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some good tips about potty training and saw this:

If you find a mess after the fact :
1. Do not punish the dog.
2. Accept the fact that you were not paying attention to the dog.
3. Do not show the dog that you are upset.  Calmly put the dog on his leash and bring him to the location of the accident.  With the dog at your side, firmly scold the potty.  Do not scold the dog.
4. Blot up some urine, or pick up some stool with a piece of paper.  Take the evidence and the dog to the latrine area.  Place the paper on the ground and with the dog watching praise the potty for being in the "right" place.  Temporarily leave the paper there. (Remove it when the dog isn't watching)
5. Clean up the remaining mess in the house as outlined above.

I have never even thought to take the evidence outside with the dog. I wonder if it works well.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Worked for me! I've always used that method of placing the soiled paper towel where you want your pup to go. It is a great way to train your puppy where in the yard you want them to relieve themselves. Just take the paper towel to the same area everytime, and soon your puppy will begin using that area to do her business.  
I've never scolded the potty mess, but I have heard of people doing that also.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I have to start cracking down on the potty training around here. We try to take her outside a ton, but she's so fast with the squat and pee that I often don't get to her in time and I'm so tired of cleaning the carpet.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I believe that others have tried it with success.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
that is pretty much what i have heard and dont forget lots of praise when they do go outside.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Tyson was very quick to learn to potty outside.

The one thing we did from the start...everytime we took him out we would take his paw and scratch the sliding glass door so he knew that scrathing the door meant potty outside. It worked so well!  Now he just sits by the back door and we know he has to go out.  He was such a fast learner!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well do your best to get them in and out. My pup is 11 weeks now. He knows that going inside is not good, but still goes. He goes in the same spot outdoors everytime, he does great. But you'll be cleaning your carpet for a little while to come.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yup, those are great tips..I also used the talking to myself and scolding the pee or poo, Angel would watch me and think I had gone nutz...Maybe I had :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts