Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new here but not new to owning a boxer. Sofie is my third boxer. I had to put my 12yr old boxer down after easter weekend due to his cancer. He was the best and I miss him like crazy. It has been so long since I have potty trained a boxer any tips would be greatly appreciated. Sofie is strickly an indoor girl but potty training is tough. For the most part if we watch her close and take her out every 30 minutes she has less accidents in the house. I think she is begginning to learn because I have notice the last few days she will go sit by the back door when she needs out. Oh she is 14 weeks old. Any new things I could try so she doesnt have accidents in the house? She is crated trained though. She ONLY sleeps in her crate at night and if nobody is home during the day. Other than that she is loose with free run of the house. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello,
I highly recommend NOT leaving food out all the time (if you do) and feed her at certain times during the day. Make her a schedule, this includes food AND water at set times during the day until she learns how to tell you she is ready to go outside.

Puppies usually drink and pee, drink and pee, eat and poo... LOL
If you leave water out ALL the time she will do just that. Give her access water PERIODICALLY when you are home - just like you dont need CONSTANT water, she doesn't either. (Not to say you don't offer it frequently! Just dont leave it out - Boxer puppies are notorious for drinking TONS of water.)

This way, if you know EXACTLY whats going in, and WHEN - you have an idea of when its going to need to, well... come out.

Offer food and water, and then several minutes later, when you see the sniffing begin - take her out and praise her. I also ALWAYS recommend taking them out through the SAME DOOR each time. When you take her out, say "Potty!" Or "Outside" - some phrase/word you use to indicate WHY you are going outside.

Soon, you should start seeing her go to the door to go potty, or giving you visual clues. At THIS point, you can offer unrestricted access to water. Just make sure you offer enough water when they are little - if you do this you have NO concern of them not getting enough.

A schedule is the best way to housebreak a puppy - but leaving food/water out all the time at first prevents you from predicting when they have to go. If you leave out one or the other - or BOTH, you might as well just follow them around and hope to catch them in the act.

And again, before anyone panics or starts screaming cruelty - Im not saying WITHHOLD water, just selectively dispense it and moderate it for a short period of time until the puppy gets the idea of HOW and WHERE its supposed to potty. They learn INCREDIBLY quick! :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
That's exactly what our new pup did. We crate trained her too. We had to take her out constantly or she would just pee whenever she wanted. I think she started sitting by the door after 2 or 3 weeks. The only advice I can give is to take her out on a leash and tell her to pee (whatever command you use) and give her lots of praise when she's done. That's all it took for us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you could also try puppy training pads. just put them by the door that your training your puppy by and they should use it. incase they have an accident or cant make it outside its a good alternative but theyre not for everyone. ive just found them to be extremely helpful in the puppy training process.

cherokee and summer breeze

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with everyone regarding potty training except the puppy training pads idea! Our first boxer, Alex, thought it would be fun to shredd them to pieces and still would NOT hit the pad.  But, with lots of patience and repetition, she finally got the idea of waiting at the door or pawing the door.  We were told to use puppy treats by our trainer.  After the puppy has finished his or her duty - get excited, lots of praise and give them a small treat - bite size.  This past weekend, we have brought home an 11 week puppy named Bentley.  Every morning at 5:30 we all wake up for the morning trip to the back yard.  I praise both dogs and then we jump back into bed for snuggle time.  Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts