Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!  So, we've had Lola for 3 weeks now and I'm a little frustrated on the bathroom training.  When she wakes up in the morning we take her out.  Then throughout the rest of the day we keep a very close eye on her and when she starts sniffing we take her out.  But she's had a lot of accidents!  Just wondering if there are any good techniques to teach her to let us know when she has to go out.  I've read about the "bell" technique and also leaving her leash where she can see it and teaching her to go get it when she has to go out...however...all she wants to go right now is eat her leash!  Just wondering how everyone else trained their puppies!  Looking for some tips  :)   Thank you!
P.S.  She's still biting as bad as ever!  I really do believe she's trying to be Alpha over me.  She'll play bite and nip, then at times...usually at night....she'll get really aggressive and bark and growl and actually try to attch me.  Saying no isn't working at all.  So I've started to put her in another room with the door shut for 5 minutes.  I'm really hoping this works soon.  My arms are looking pretty bad!  :?

·
Registered
521 Posts
as far as Beckham goes, thus far (at 11 weeks) the trigger word of "go potty" is starting to sink in.  Just make sure you use lots of repetition.  And I read somewhere that even in 4 weeks, you can't expect your pup to be potty trained.  Beckham had an accident yesterday, too - it just happens.  We make sure we yell AT the pee (I know, sounds weird), and then quickly rush him outside.  They key is NOT to get frustrated.  I know easier said than done, but it's a must.  They pick up on it so fast.  

As far as the biting goes..sounds like she is trying to be Alpha, as you said.  What do you do when she bites? Beckham is hitting his terrible twos stage, and he is very nippy, too. We pull ourselves away and ignore him, and if the biting gets really bad, as i've said befoer, we hold him like a baby on his back and say "Shhhh..." VERY calmly.  They squirm, but eventually cool down.  

Lola is about the same age as Becks, I think?  I know it can get frustrating; yesterday he wouldn't listen to me at ALL and was being very naughty.  But its just important to remember, she's a puppy, and it is going to take time and A LOT of patience.  I would address the nipping head-on, maybe even look up more tips on the internet.

good luck!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Consistency is the key to training. Be sure you take her out around the same time each day if possible, If you catch her in the act of going potty inside say a firm "no" and pick her up and place her outside. If she has already went and you find it dont punish her. She will not understand what she did wrong. Be sure to get natures miracle so that you can get the smell out of the carpet. Housetraining will take time. I know some people say there pup only took 1week or 2week, ect-but not to be fully housetrained. When i had Chloe, i had a dandy of a time trying to train her. She wasnt even fully trained when she was taken and we had had her for roughly 2 months. The thing that i found worked best for us, is to keep her attached to me. If i took her out and she wouldnt go, then i would attacher her leash to my belt or keep hold of it if i was watching tv or what not and keep her at my side. After about 45-to an hour after the first attempt i would take her outside to see if i could get her to go again. She was a tuffy and waited me out til 2in the afternoon, but she finally broke down and went outside. After that i think she understood that if she didnt go outside, then she would have to do everything i did. we didnt have too many issues after that-hope this helps some!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think with ours, we took them out every 1-2 hours whether they did anything or not.  We just kept repeating ~ "go potty".  It finally began to sink in too.  Like Andrea said, consistency is the key word.  I know it is frustrating but keep trying on both the biting and the potty training.  I think the timeouts are good.  Just remember not to make them too long.  Boxer's hate to be left alone and a short amount of time should get the message across that what she was doing will lead to being kept away from you.  Any longer than that and it could cause separation anxiety.  The older they are the longer they can be left alone.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It sounds to me like you are doing everything right, but it's just going to take awhile....Definitely set a schedule and stick to it..Keep repeating those magical words"let's go potty"..Samson knows it well and Angel quickly picked up on it, even tho she still has accidents...It seems to me someone suggested that when she has an accident inside, mop it up real good with paper towels, take the towels outside with you where you want her to go and leave them there, her own scent will remind her of what she needs to do...I am still taking Angel out about every 1 1/2 hrs and it's getting better after 6 weeks, so don't give up..

The biting is going to be a tough one it sounds like. I didn't have that hard of time with Buck. Now Angel likes to nip me occasionally and as she is older with some good chompers, I really discourage that...She gets a light bop on her nose and a very stern "no bite". If she has climbed up on me, she gets put down, if she's just following me, I ignore her...I believe Leanne was asking how to tell if you have an Alpha pup or not, I attached some very good web sites that address the problem, you may want to take a look at those...

Keep us posted ok, and don't stress out, it's going to be fine..Believe it or not, you will look back on all this and laugh...I sure did with mine.. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a new little girl, Cali is her name. She has been home goingon 3 weeks this Thursday night. So far I have been so impressed with her ability to learn and pick up on simple things. The peeing, well it has been better than expected actually, and I have to say more work than I was hoping for. However, hard work pays off. I have to take Cali out consistantly so many times a day, and it works. She has only had a few accidents in the house, and she knows she is not supposed to go there. I guess the consistant going outside, every 1-2 hours, at first every 30 minutes, and I am with her all day, taking her to work, and she is never alone. So training her is much easier. I already have her scratching at the back door to go out before attempting to go in the house. Crazy smart, and I have only just started giving her treats as a reqward. So I say keep it very consistant, and praise her lots, and use the same term always. Ours is "GO PEE PEE, or GO POO POO" and she will do it on command. Mostly I think I have learned her schedule and can say "its time for her to pee" taker her out, tell her to go and she does. Then I reward her. She is great.

I also use the crate. At night she sleeps in it, and has only wet her bed one night since she was home, I think the first or second night. I take her out usually once or twice every night while sleeping, other wise she will cry, so before she cries I jump up and take her potty. In the morning she goes 3 times sometimes in the first hour of being awake, so I watch her very closely.

Biting, well, Cali is a puppy, only 8-9 weeks old, and she is testing everything. She loves biting, everything, and if we get her all riled up, and playing she will bite us, not meaning to, but she thinks it is a game. We always say "no biting" wnd give her a stern point of the finger. She knows better, however still attempts to bite. She does not bite me, I mean she will play and try to bite, but definately knows not to bite me. Maybee because I spend so much time with her all day long, she knows who is the boss. But when she gets home, and sees Angie, my wife, Cali goes crazy, and tries to play ruff and bite and chase, and bite the feet, and socks, and scratches, like crazy. She doesnt do this with me. I think she knows she can get away with it with Angie and not me. I told Angie from day one not to play with her like that. Once she gets bigger she will hurt you and it will not be fun, and Cali will think of it as a game.

I give Cali a stern attitude when I do not want her doing something, and I am consistant with her as to not confuse her. She will play with me much less rough than with Angie. Angie is finally picking up on this, and I will step in to help her with her biting, and it seems to be slowly working.

Cali has 2 sisters that my Mom and Brother took, and they see each other almost every day. They play so rough, they bite and box and scratch, and they get crazy. I think it is definately a puppy thing. I have bought Cali so many toys to keep her occupied and it is working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts