Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer is nine months old.  She knows she's supposed to go to the bathroom outside, and she does when we're home.  But if we leave her home by herself, she goes to the bathroom inside.  We always put her in the same room, but she doesn't hold it.  She's small for a boxer.  Does anybody know why she could be doing this or if her size has something to do with it?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How long is she left alone?  She could have separation anxiety.  When I got my girl she would pee if left alone, even if she just went out and I was only gone for a short time. Her size wouldn't have anything to do with it.  How long have you had her and where did she come from? How much does she weigh?
I would suggest getting her a crate and start crate training right away.  being confined in a "den like" area keeps most dogs from using the bathroom since they do not want to go where they eat and sleep. (it can help to feed them in the crate as well).  I am assuming she has never been in a crate from your post, so I suggest reading up on crate training and methods to introduce her to the crate so she views it in a positive way.  It would not be a good idea to just put her in it the first time you go out for hours at a time.  It should be introduced slowly, and treats usually help. :)
I would also make sure she has plenty of toys to keep her occupied.  Something safe to chew on unattended are Kongs, they can be filled with treats, or peanut butter or good quality canned dog food and frozen, these are great time wasters!
Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's 35 pounds.  I've had her since she was 5 and 1/2 weeks old.  She might have separation anxiety; she hates it if even one of us walks outside.  She'll walk around crying until everybody is together.  She doesn't like to be confined.  I tried crating her for a month or so. She cries and screams like she's hurt when she's in the crate.

G

·
0 Posts
That's normal...Jetta at 6 weeks cried for 2 hours at a time when we crated her...we just had to ignore it...and now she goes in her crate on command...it sounds like she has some serious separation anxiety issues...the best thing to do would be to try the crate again...and just ignore the pitiful cries...it's hard..but will make life so much easier in the end!

·
Registered
403 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"70117 said:
That's normal...Jetta at 6 weeks cried for 2 hours at a time when we crated her...we just had to ignore it...and now she goes in her crate on command...it sounds like she has some serious separation anxiety issues...the best thing to do would be to try the crate again...and just ignore the pitiful cries...it's hard..but will make life so much easier in the end!
I'm glad to hear you say that cuz mine cries and cries when i put him in there.........When I go to work it's not so bad but at night when I'm trying to sleep........well .....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could use a little advice; I have 3 boxers and a mini schnauzer.  The schnauzer and 2 of the boxers are house broken.  The schnauzer is male; 6 yrs.  Boxer #1 is female and 2 yrs; mother of female #2-3 mo. old.  Our boxer #3 is male and 11 wks old, we've  had him for a couple of weeks (not our female's pup); while he will do his business outside; he will also wait until he comes back in; or sometime pees right where is laying, if he's been sleeping.  Our female puppy would whine at the back door to be let out; but "Jake" hardly makes a sound.  We have a doggy door and all the dogs use it; so I am confused as to why he would wait until he comes back inside or urinate where he has been sleeping.  Any suggestions?

G

·
0 Posts
I had a simular problem with my female who is almost 6 months now. She was fine until we left then BAM urine flooding the floor in our laundry room. We ended up getting a crate for her only when we leave and she stops completly. She only goes if we are gone for a long time(which is rare). I would try getting a crate only big enough for her to turn around in, if she has a place to go and potty then come back to the other side and not be in the urine sit prolly wont work. She is less likley to potty and the lay in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts