221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Prayers from us too, Sue. Bad news all over the place. :(

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
So I found out from talking to my best friend tonight that her partner does have cancer - Mucinous Adenocarcinoma. The Dr feels hopeful it was caught early. They have to go to the hemotologist/oncologist tomorrow. There will be a cat scan and of course surgery to remove the mass. They wont know the grade or stage until after the surgery. I'm trying to be hopeful and positive. They do live close to the Cancer Treatment Centers Of America in Philly so they hope to do all the work there. Please keep Trip in your prayers...this will be a tough fight. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Oh Sue :( Sending prayers their way. ♥

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thank you everyone. I will keep updating as I know more information. Hugs and positive thoughts and prayers to all.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
One more person to add to the prayer list. :(

Part of my job includes calling the local hospitals every morning and getting a list of Jewish patients so the Rabbi can go visit them. Because I've been doing this every day for almost five years now, I've gotten to know the staff in the various Chaplain's offices very well. One staff member, Margie, has become a statistic in the growing number of cutbacks and layoffs. She has been with the hospital for 18 years, is in her 60s, and is only two years from retirement. Her job prospects are very bleak. Apparently a lot of long-time senior staff members were let go. Please pray for Margie and her co-workers that they are able to find work quickly. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
She will be in my prayers, Cait.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Update on my best friends partner. She has finished her chemo and everything is on track but she lost all of her hair. The oncologist checked recently and the original tumor in the upper portion of her stomach has shrunk some but there now is what appears to be another tumor in the lower half of her stomach. After more consults and several opinions she is going in for surgery tomorrow to remove her entire stomach. This is a 3 1/2 hour surgery and quite intensive as one could imagine.

Just asking for you all to keep her (Margaret) in your prayers. I wont know much until sometime tomorrow evening but as soon as I know anything I will post. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thank you all. Unfortunately sh couldnt have the surgery today. Im not really sure why I got a text from my best friend that said no surgery today there was a minor set back I will fill you in later. I havent heard anything yet but I will update as soon as I know. I would assume there was a medical issue ...something must not have been right so they couldnt do the surgery right now.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Sorry I didnt update earlier. The reason they couldnt do the surgery is that the Drs didnt have blood with her specific antibodies in it in case she needed a transfusion during her surgery. Im not sure why they didnt figure this out before hand but anyways that was the deal. Her surgery started at 8:29am EST this morning and could last(depending on what happens when they get in there) 3 1/2-6 hours. Again Im asking for positive thoughts and prayers and will keep you updated. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Update: Margaret is still in the hospital but doing very well. As one can imagine the recovery is very slow but the Drs are very pleased at her progress. They took the entire stomach and a couple of lymph nodes for further testing but it appears that it has not spread beyond the stomach. She still isnt allowed to drink even water(she or Lisa has to swab her mouth with a sponge) but hopefully soon. Thanks everyone for their prayers and positive thoughts. I will update as I know more.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes for now she is on IV but if I understand correctly she will be able to eat/drink in time but her meals will have to be very very small and she will have to eat more often since the esophagus is now attached to the small intestine which doesnt expand like the stomach would. I think she will have to start out slowly with liquids then pureed type foods and maybe in time get to solid foods? At least thats how I understand it.

221 - 240 of 257 Posts