Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there.  I'm not sure if this question has come up before about bringing a baby into the home and having an older boxer.

anyway here goes, my wife and I just found out that we are 2 weeks pregnant and we are alittle worried about 9 months down the road with our 5 year old boxer.  he's got some manners excepts for when I come home from work he lunges at me at the door with excitement other than that hes great.  He extremely playful as all boxers are but he's also very protective of my wife.

how would we go about getting him used to having a baby around?  would he bite the baby thinking its a toy?  or will he adjust pretty easy?  

I know he will need me more than ever because of all the attention the baby will get.

I also hear it would have been better if the dog and the baby grew together but the dog aka my first son is already 5 yrs

any advice?????

thanks
John Constantelos

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a Professional Trainer:

Your Boxer will be perfectly fine...They are AWESOME family dogs...I have 4 girls ranging in age from 8-2 yrs and she's great.  Don't worry about it and if you stick around we can give you great advice...

Another thing...your Boxer is likely to be protective of the baby as well...

More pix please...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome to the fourms!

Congrats on the new baby!!! :D

Your puppy dog should be fine.  He'll adjust to the fact that something is going on as mommy "adjusts" over the next nine months. :wink:   He will probably be as protective of baby as he is of mommy.

Zhanna

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that he will be fine.  When I became pregnant I had a lab that was at that time I think 9 years old.  My husband and I had some of the same concerns you do.  She was what I considered a "velcro dog" and also an inside dog (75 pounds) I was afraid that she would dislike or harm the baby in some way because of being so attached to me and also just her size.

She was great.  She would actually jump up and put her paws on the bed as soon as my daughter cried at night, she would sleep on the rug in front of my daughters crib. I think they sense something with small children....

Fast forward to the 2 year old stage and my daughter falling on her, pulling her ears and tail....I never had a problem with her snapping.

We lost her (the dog) in 2006 and my daughter was 4 1/2 years old.  She still talks about "her dog Jazz" to this day.....The truth is that she now loves Fiona but she would rather still have Jazz they bonded and got really close.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What a handsome boy you have! He will do just fine when you bring home his new little brother or sister!  :)

When my daughter Brianna was born, Buster was 2.5. He was my world...my first baby boy. I was so nervous to bring Brianna home from the hospital. After I had her, I would have my husband take home her little cap and blanket that was wrapped around her from the hospital, it had her scent all over it. He would take them home and give them to Buster to smell to get acquainted with Brianna's scent. While I was in the hospital he did this for two nights. When I brought Brianna home, I walked in with Brianna in her carrier, I said my hello's to Buster and I put Brianna on the floor ,(in her carrier still) , and I just let Buster sniff and smell and even lick her. From that day on they were the best of friends. He was her protector. Even when she was learning to walk, and she was pulling his ears or trying to get his nub, he was so patient and loving with her. When my son was born 3 years later, I did the same exact thing, and he was the same way with him. I think the real trick is to never seperate them. Also, try and give your boy some extra attention in the beginning. I know that is hard especially with an infant around, but he needs to feel that he isn't being replaced, and when he figures out that this little being isn't going anywhere, he will also become mommy's helper, and he will be the first one there when that baby cries. Boxers are amazing animals when it comes to babies and children.  :D
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your boy is beautiful.  I think if you follow Lisa's tips it will be fine.  Dogs are so intuitive and are innocent loving beings.  They seem to understand the fragile nature of babys and want only to love and protect them.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum your boy is a sweetie.  Congratulations on the baby.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum, your boy is very handsome...You have been given some very good advice and tips, follow those and you should be fine. Boxers are by nature very protective of their "skin people" and children especially. Your wife will probably notice that he is much more closely bonded with her as her pregnancy goes on. Lisa gave you a wonderful idea about bringing some of the babies things home for your boy to smell prior to bringing the baby home. Just always keep an eye on them and I think you will find, you couldn't ask for a better babysitter  :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
So glad you've joined the forum and I agree about what all the experts above have said.  I had a dobie when my youngest son was born and you would have thought that it was her baby.  She would stand between Josh (the baby) and anyone who came into our home.  She was not agressive towards any one, but she was always right there.  I hate to even tell you this story, but it was kinda funny.  When Josh would sit in his highchair he would hang over as far as he could and let LuLu (the dobie) have a taste of his bottle, he also ate more kibble than any kid on earth I'm embarrassed to say.  They shared everything and until the day she passed on, they were together.  She liked the other 4 kids as well, but Josh was her baby.  My Boxer hasn't met a kid yet that he doesn't love.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's a great photo...
My sister had a basset hound when they brought 2 or their 3 children home.  They did the same with brining the babies items home and also, gross as it may be, they brought dirty diapers to the dog to sniff first also, as it is another new smell to them.
I have noticed with Abby that she is extremely gentle with children whereas she can get a little over excited with us. We had a cousin's son over none night, 11 yrs old and within 15 minutes, she was following him everywhere! he went ot use the bathroom and she sat by the door, ear against it like a person trying to listen through a wall, and whining. When he came out, she sniffed him from head to toe, then wiggled and kept playing. She was very concerned about him. She spent 45 minutes going from window to window crying when he left. I finally had to sit on the floor and put her in my lap for a while to cheer her up.
We were visiting with neighbors one night who had a 1 year old and a 3 year old. She sat calmly, never jumping or anything, while one pulled her tail and one poked her in the eyes!!!! She just kept looking over at me as it to say..."I think I sort of like this." She didn't move a muscle the entire time. Our Brady just rolls over for a belly rub everytime a child approaches him.
I think you will be fine, just do a proper introduction and I think your new baby will have his/her first best friend.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Maggie was 2 and a half when my nephew was born, and she is fantastic with him.   When ever he would cry Maggie would go near him and he would stop crying, she sleeps in his room at night and she never jumps on anyone if they are holding him....  And she jumps on EVERYONE.....

My nephew was about 5 months old in this picture.

I have a video of them where james keeps grabbing maggies paw and all she does is lick him, and it makes him laugh hysterically!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Maybe Cindi could post some pics of Roxy & Rowelin - he is literally lying up against her belly and she's just gazing at him like she loves him more than anything.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i will not repeat all the great things already said, congrats on the new baby. Hope everything works out for you :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your boy is a beauty!  None of our boxers have ever been anything but very protective and careful with our kids.   They have always watched out for them and tried to get inbetween the kids and any threat they could see.  Our daughter used Calli for a pillow and stepping stool.   Boxers are amazing at how gentle they are around kids/babies.  Congratulations to both of you and I am sure your boy will do wonderful with the new baby!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well I just had my boy 5 months ago and I wasnt nervous about bringing him home at all. Roxy was never around newborns so I expected her to be nervous at first and low and behold she was lol Everytime he cried so did she but after a few weeks she adjusted and they are best friends! Here are some pictures I took of her and him. She was just shy of 2 years...

And my fav!!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
First off let me say you have one AMAZINGLY beautiful boy!!!!  Next I'll echo what the other have commented.  He'll be great!

I did not have a boxer when my first son was born, but I did have two 3 year old shelties (littermates).  Of course they were curious about every new item that came into the house for the baby.  They had to check it out and had to be allowed to.  I treated my girls like I was dealing with human toddlers.  They were curious and didn't want to be left out.  Their lives as they knew it were changing with ours.  I'll admit that with a newborn in the home, the dogs took a back seat for a while, at least from me.  When my son was born, my husband took home a blanket that our son was wrapped in for the dogs to "sniff out".  When I came home with the baby, I went straight to my girls and fussed over them.  We let them get their excitement of me returning home after a week out of their system, then showed them the baby.  Neither ever gave an indication of jealousy of the baby.  

Good luck and congratulations!!!!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Thank you lol Shari (chloebellesmom) thinks he should be the next Gerber baby lol  :lol:  I guess I make beautiful bald babys lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts