Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Premium edge dog food

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Starr05 
#1 ·
I have been looking at Premium Edge Dog food (the Salmon flavor) For our Mastiff mix and to Put Gisselle on also. Clyde our Mastiff is displaying what I think are food sensitivities. Our Pit is on the Flint River Ranch Fish and chips, but it would be TOOOOOO pricey to switch the Mastiff on to that he eats like a horse.
So I thought I would keep our Pit bull on that and switch the other two. I researched it and it has 4 stars from dog food analysis,but it doesnot state if they use
ethoxyquin in the food and this is the E-mail that I recieved from the it kind of feels like they are trying to dance around the subject

The preservation systems used by our vendors are considered proprietary
information.  

However, we know that the heat from our pet food process destroys
antioxidants that are used in the ingredients that we purchase.  After
the heat process (extrusion and drying), we apply natural tocopherols
(Vitamins A & E) in order to carry the shelf life of the food.

Let me know if you have additional questions, or want to try a free
sample (need your snail mail address).

Patricia L. Farrar, DVM
Veterinary Services
Diamond Pet Foods
Meta, Missouri 65058
573-229-4203

So basicly it sounds like This DVM doesn't now right?
Or doesn't WANT to disclose it

See less See more
#2 ·
Just did a quick google check for "Premium Edge" with ethoxyquin, a couple of interesting links come up.  They do seem to indicate they probably use ethoxyquin.  I can't myself confirm the accuracy of this info though.  

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 339&cat=17

One important point that is worth mentioning, is that if the dog food you are looking at contains fish meal, you want to make sure that the fish meal is ethoxyquin free. Fish that is destined to be made into meal for animal feed is required by US Coast Guard regulations to be preserved with ethoxyquin. That means that when the dog food manufacturer buys it, it already contains the chemical.

Dog food manufacturers are only required by law to list the ingredients and preservatives that they, themselves, put into the food. Since they did not put ethoxyquin in the fish meal, they do not have to list ethoxyquin on the ingredients label; so, even though a food claims to be preserved naturally, it may still contain ethoxyquin!

If the label or the website does not specifically say that all the meat sources in the food were human grade, OR that their meats were from ethoxyquin-free sources, then you should be wary. Find a customer service number or e-mail address, and contact them and ask! If they simply tell you that their sources are proprietary, or that they do not use ethoxyquin in their foods, but will not actually say that their meats are ethoxyquin free, politely thank them for their time, let them know that they have helped you make the decision NOT to use their product, wish them good day, and hang up.

http://dogfoods.angelfire.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.