Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 year old boxer girl.   I live in the northeast and would like to keep her out in the 3 season room.  My question is, if i give her a plastic insulated cage with blankets, would that be sufficent?  I could also put a dog heater (mat) to put underneath the dog house.  Or is it better to have a small electric radiator to provide some heat in an area of the room?  Thanks for the help!!!

Justin

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm sorry...what is a 3 season room? Is this like a patio type thing outdoors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a room attached to the house but not insulated.  Windows and walls so there's not exposure to the outside.  Cold in the winter though.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean about a 3 season room, but I would be afraid of an electric heater unless you can put it where the cord can't be chewed.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I was born & raised in Mass. and its entirely too cold out there, even with walls, for a boxer and most dogs..boxers dont have coats like labs or shepards etc...

my dad is an insurance adjuster in mass and i cant tell you ,over the yrs, how many kids ,people and animals have died from an electric heaters..the 2 causes are electric heaters and elec. blankets..its the malfunction that occurs so so often..the heaters also fall over..and its too late when you notice..

i am most def not trying to be a jerk..at all, please dont take it that way...i jsut noticed this post and i have seen so many deaths from this over the yrs i just wanted to add my 2 cents..

could you crate the dog IN the house?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could I just feel bad leaving her in a crate all day long.  She would be in the crate from 8 to 6 on Tusday, Thursday, and Friday.  I just though if I could give her a warm place to sleep or hide out if it got to cold it wouldn't be as bad.  The dog house I purchased is designed for dogs to live in outside in the elements.  I fugured that plus the fact that she's on the porch would be enough for her to be comfortable.  Also,  I hoped to put a dog door in so she could let her self out when she wanted to go.  I put in an electric dog fence to keep her contained in my yard.  Seams to work very well.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree with Kate an Ky. I am from NY and it is definitely way too cold, even if your girl is not directly in the elements. Boxers do not have an undercoat like say a  german shepherd to keep them warm. They definitely need to be kept indoors. They are not a breed that takes too well to temperature extremes either hot or cold. Electric heaters scare me, wouldn't use one.

Kate...34 degrees????? Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
crate in the house is alot better than being cold..they really honestly dont mind the crate at all ..just as long as its never a punishment and its comfy..

the other days that she isnt in there all day just spend time with her..itll be fine there are TONS of people on here that work full time jobs and crate their boxers and the dogs are happy, well adjusted & wonderful :) give her a good amount of time outside before you leave on those days and plenty when you get home..itll be jsut fine...

and plenty with doggie doors..

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Most of the time when your not home, the dogs are gonna sleep anyways.  Buy a nice big crate and keep her inside.  I've threatened to put our out a couple of times when I'm frustrated.  Mind you frustrated, but #1 I live in East TN, #2 it's anger talking.  I couldn't leave either dog outside.  As others have suggested, I would not use an electric heater or heat blanket because of the fire hazard.  Another thing to consider is if your dog is prone to chewing.  If so, they you wouldn't want to leave a bed there because if bored, there gonna chew/eat!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dog is a chewer.  When she's bored she will rip and shred.  What do you do if you want bedding in her cage but have concerns about the bedding being eatten?  I wish there was an easy button for this problem I'm facing.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Put toys in the crate (nylabones or something they can't chew up or choke on) and a Kong filled with peanut butter.  What I notice with Kiah is that her bedding is hardly disturbed at noon when I go home to let her out and when I come home at night it is all over the place and that is when she chews.  So I give her Kong with peanut butter mixed with banannas and some of her kibble at lunch, I mix it up at night and freeze it for the next day.  It has worked so far.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome to a fellow NYer :D Not sure where Rexford is but this is the state of ice/snow lol. I'm sooo envious of your 3 season room, I've been lobbying for a awhile to turn our deck into one! Unfortunately, I have to agree it wouldn't be warm enough for Donner to be out in one for long.  A boxer just doesn't have the hair other dogs do. Is there a small area in your house you can block with baby gates, a bathroom maybe??? Our babies present a special challenge here in the north... they're not really built for our extreme heat in the summer (noses are too short) and poor things don't have a winter hair growth like most of our other critters! Wouldn't trade either the pups or the weather for anything but it does require a little "yankee" ingenuity! :wink:
PS I agree with the heater cord comments, could be too much temptation to chew!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts