Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little guy will be just 8 weeks old when he comes home. We didn't realize that his joints would be so fragile at that age.

All but one room in the downstairs of our house is either tile or laminate flooring. For a while I plan to keep him confined to one room using baby gates (it's a big room.) At least till we get pretty potty trained and his 3 feline siblings have time to adjust.

I'm also going to buy two 5x7 area rugs to help cover the floor to keep him safe. How long before it's safe to let him explore on slippery floors?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
My house is also tile or hardwood except one room which is carpeted. Mostly he played there. However in my opinion, and its only my opinion I'm no expert just don't have him running where he can slip. It takes up to 18 months for those growth plates to close, and its bad for them anyway to be slipping can cause other joint problems, I've been told. I would crate train. We had well still have a 42 inch crate with a divider that we used when he was a puppy just made it big enough for him to lie down and stand to turn around. Made potty training easy. We fed on a schedule, crate was in a busy area of house. he learned to see us moving around n learned he did not come out until we allowed it, never when he whined or barked. Of course he had lots of cuddle time on the couch with us but when he got to wild or.just tired back in crate. He housebroke within the first 3 weeks, but as I said schedule schedule eating/potty play. sleep/ repeat. You will learn his cues. Just remember the first time you take him out of that crate because he is barking or whining you lose. LOL Our boy will be 3 in Sept. and still he goes right to his crate to sleep at night and wait patiently and quietly until about 6:30-7 after I start my coffee before he goes out. Of course as a young puppy we were up every 1/2 hour..hour at night for the first few weeks and slowly worked up to 3 1/2 hours. AS time went on we took him out at 10 or 11 then he waited till 6 in the morning. Now its 9:-9:30 and he sleep till 6:30-7 but I think he would wait even longer, lol but I would do that to him. Good luck , I think everyone eventually finds what works with their household schedule.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on your new pup! I never worried about the floors being slippery or their joints when mine were pups. Some rooms had carpet, tile and hardwood floors. I tell you the floors were easy to clean up from puppy accidents. Good luck! Yes crate training is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
! I never worried about the floors being slippery or their joints when mine were pups. I didn't really either as I really didn't allow him to run in the house so I guess I never thought about it. I do though let him run in the yard except after the rain as its slippery and he goes so fast still at times I don't want him injuring himself. Plus it digs up the yard even more, lol. I use to have a nicely grass carpeted yard. LOL Now I have spots of grass and he rarely spends anytime out there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I'm currently rearranging furniture to give Talos plenty of play space. It's a long narrow room that we'll be spending most of our time in until he's ready to wonder through the house. So I bought 2 -5x7 rugs so we'll have a decent amount of play area that's safe for our boy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts