Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sweet Nash has taken another turn with his condition and he will barely eat what he has been tolerating with me cooking for him. I even scrambled him an egg today in desperation and he had a few bites and that was it.

I know that whatever this disorder/disease is that has been plaguing him since October is something that will not miraculously resolve itself and turn around.
We have done everything we can think of, and the vets are feeling that he is in a palliative stage as well.

Sadly, I am facing each day that our time is very limited.

I am struggling because I see that he is sad and tired. His body has deteriorated drastically with no improvements. His poops were containing bright red blood for a while, which we weren't AS concerned about, but the last few days I know it has shifted to darker red...which I know IS a concern.

He can't go for walks, and the times we have been able to, he is SO happy but doesn't last long and is then wiped out after.
He just sleeps all day.
And yet, when I come home after being out, there he is wagging his stubby little tail and happy to see me...and then goes straight back to laying on his bed or the couch.

He is skin and bones from the malabsportion disorder that HAS been confirmed. He is just basically existing, even though I try so hard to get some energy out of him.

He is my third boxer. He is only 5 1/2. He is my buddy for sure. My calming force when I'm having an anxiety moment. I don't want to be selfish and continue ignoring what I know is happening and that he just won't ever be himself again. There are times where I can see that he is just trying so hard to hang in for us.

With our first boxer babe I was not able to go with my husband when we had to say good bye, yet I had a total peace about it, even though it broke my heart. With our second boxer babe, I was laying beside her on the floor until she took her final breath. And I had peace about being with her because I owed her so much!! She saved my life.
With our sweet Nash...part of me feels I owe it to him to be there, and the other part of me just doesn't want to see him like that. Yet, I have this horrid self inflicted guilt about not going because I feel like I have been the one who has taken him to every single appointment and procedure and test...and I don't want him to feel scared. I know my husband will stay with him right to the end, but I just don't know if I can handle being there. But I can I handle not being there?

This is the hardest part of being a furbaby owner. He is our family. Each one has been so tightly woven in to our hearts.

It's just so hard facing good bye.

Any encouragement would be so greatly appreciated.
You are all fellow boxer family lovers, and I know that you understand what I am going through.

Thanks!

Heather

·
Registered
190 Posts
Heather,
I know it completely sucks. I have put down more dogs then I would have liked to.. It's the worst part of owning a family pet.
They truly become like a part of your family.
I'm a firm believer in:
1) When your dog is showing signs of deterioration.. and the vets agree there just isn't much more that can be done. It's time to put them down. I've always been on the side I would rather put them down a week to early, then a week to late.
2) the owner needs to be the dog when the time comes.
I honestly couldn't imagine not being there. They have given me all they have. I couldn't see not being there with them during their time of need.

You can do it! I know you can. Will it suck? yes for more then a few days but I wouldn't do it any other way.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Boxers are so very special as you noted
Intertwined is a great way to describe their bonds with us.
It sounds like you’ve given your furkids a good life and have done all you can to help Nash
I think you have to do what you feel is right in your heart. My tears and thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Heather, my husband and I lost our 5 year old Boxer to IBD in October. In less than two weeks, she faded away to skin and bones and there was nothing that the internal medicine vets could do for her in and out of the hospital. I too took her to all the appointments. It helped me knowing that I could provide the comfort she so needed every step of the away and especially at the end. You can do this and it might be the best for both Nash and you. My heart goes out to you and your family.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the encouragement everybody. It means a lot to me.

I've been spoiling Nash today and let him have a hamburger...which he was more than happy to eat, and some salmon.

I have been leaning towards going with my husband and Nash when the time comes. I couldn't with our first boxer. I did with our second. I know I can do this for Nash.
My husband had asked me if I wouldn't come because it was hard on him to watch me when I was with him and our Bailey girl. The other reason being is that my husband's dad is in end stages of cancer and my husband and he just felt that watching me with Nash would be very hard on his own emotional state. But, a while back I told him that I couldn't promise not coming. And you are right...I have been with Nash every singly appointment, I'm with him pretty much all day while my son is at school...we are partners, and I want him to feel my presence with him.

bte2...my husband feels the same...he would rather Nash be able to walk in to the building and still get to see him enjoy a car ride and wag his tail instead of him being in a position where he can't even lift his head. I know it will likely be this week...likely sooner than later.

Thank you everyone. I wish I had found this site sooner!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boxermom12...
I'm so sorry to hear that. October is when Nash's symptoms began and it has been a fast decline since then...although up until recently he had plateaued and found a place of being good with eating and such, though never regained all the weight he lost.
I have had numerous vets on his case and they are all in agreement that Nash is in a palliative stage now...and I've had to come accept that.

My heart goes out to you. Truly!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm sorry! The GI stuff is rough. When I went through something similar we both were in the room with the vet, but I left when they did the injection! I'd spent four days holding him, and trying to fill my senses with every detail so I could keep that with me. We'd been on such a restricted diet I got meaty bones to offer. He didn't have much interest. Maybe I should have offered it earlier. I wished I had listened to the vet who was telling me it was time. I waited a week too long, and feel it robbed him of some of his dignity. He didn't want us to see him at this stage. Sending lots of hugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts