Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nova is our 3.5 y/o problem child. She has been cursed with ulcerative colitis and she’s had bad allergies for the past year or so (which we still haven’t found the cause for yet)... NOW she has been having daily accidents, mainly while we aren’t home, for the past few months. We have tried managing her feeding and potty times better but nothing helps. She poops AND pees everyday, and eats her poo 90% of the time. Could this be separation anxiety? Could it be from us changing her food trying to figure out her allergy cause? Should we begin kenneling her again during the day? We don’t know what to do 😞

·
Registered
190 Posts
So a couple of question...
The #2, is it soft and slimmy.. or just regular. Does the consistency differ from the times she does it inside vs. outside?
It could be stress but you would typically see a "difference" in the two.
What food is she on now?
The pee... I'm not sure I would consider that a typical stress reaction.
Is the peeing new or has has it always been both #1 & #2?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Well I would probably want to know if its the colitis and anxiety causing her to eliminate in the house. I assume she was 100% housebroken without any accidents. (if she were not I'd start over like a puppy). Dogs with colitis usually do best on a low fat diet, Under 30 % fat, some people sy 13%. I would probably supplement her diet with a probiotic and a digestive enzyme. Added fiber, like pumpkin (pure not puree or pysillium. Also bear in mind when you change a food it may take at least 3-4 weeks to see improvement and you should give no treats as they may interfere. There is also a test you could have done from https://www.nutriscan.org Its a bit pricey in my opinion but it can help determine food sensitivities. I would be strict on feeding times and take her out regularly or have someone take her out if you cannot, at least every 4 hours. I am curious as to why you re feeding her or if the vet put her on a prescription diet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is currently on natural balance’s chicken and sweet potato! This past year we have tried switching her to different diets including grain free, potato free, seafood, and no animal meat (vegetarian).. but her allergies never got better for any of them. We can’t afford a $300 allergy test right so we’ve been doing trial&error with no luck. Up next is purchasing allergy medicine in case it’s seasonal allergies!

As for her accidents.. her poop is completely normal. The peeing in the house started about a month after the pooping. She was completely house broken up until she started having these accidents a few months ago 😕 nothing has changed in our routine, we haven’t moved or added any new family members.

I don’t think it’s due to her colitis because she’s been diagnosed with that since she was 6 months old.

We have been giving her pumpkin over the past month and I will try a probiotic! Any suggestions for a brand?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Is it possible there's an allergy to some outside vegetation or your laundry soap?

Two of our 3 boys will lick themselves raw if they don't take Apoquel; the other one never has any issues. It's kind of hard to tell if it's environmental without other pets having the same issue.

I hope some of these things others have noted here help and you are able to get her back to normal soon.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Sudden changes in behaviour ... usually mean a "Vet Check" is in order to check for medical conditions??? This could be caused by a UTI (urinary tract infection??) And if such is the case it doesn't matter what your are feeding her ... her diet would need to change??
But that is where I would start and with a clean bill of health you can pursue other options. :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Well a UTI really won't have her pooping in the house, however would cause urinary incontinence .. It doesn't sound like either but a vet check is always a good call. I thought from your first post that it may be colitis and that perhaps a probiotic in her diet could help but it sounds like the colitis may be under control? I think in her case I would seek advise from my vet so as not to cause any upset to her gastrointestinal tract. After re-reaqding your original post it seems like the pooing n peeing in the house while your gone is more the issue. Since her poo is normal I'm now thinking she is just doing this because she may be anxious. I don't think her allergies or her colitis contribute. I don't really know how to help with that other than crating her when your gone and perhaps for brief periods during the day while your home to see how she reacts, have a sound machine or radio on for her perhaps. I understand allergies are hard to determine the cause as first you need to know if they are environmental or food related. As far as eating her poo lots of dogs do this and that may be because her food is not being digested totally, you will just need to clean it up immediately whenever you can. The vet can also prescribe a medication to make it more unappealing, It sounds like she has a lot of issues going on and difficult to determine one issue from another. Feeding a food that won't upset her colitis, while trying to balance out an allergy is very difficult to me, anyway. So all in all if she were mine I'd first be sure to keep the colitis under control, probably put her on a vet prescribed medication for allergy, and poo eating to see if it helps, add back the crate and do what your doing. It sounds like you know what your doing so those are just my ideas. LOL Keep us posted on how she does, its a good way we can share and help one another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey my 6 month old girl has colitis any change in food any treats or even her worming treatments cause a flare up and runny poos. I have found giving her a probiotic like digestcare daily helps reduce flare ups and sticking to one food and no treats or any thing else to eat also helps. When she has a flare up I use peptosyl to stop the runs it also lines the colon and is a mild antiseptic to help reduce colon inflammation. She also has allergies and often gets hives and swelling around her face when she has been outdoors, I use polaramine antihistamines if it gets bad but unfortunately even the antihistamines flares up her colitis. We have found that keeping her on one food and giving digestcare daily has significantly reduced her flare ups. My girl also poops inside when she has a flare up they cant help it the inflamed colon just throws everything straight through. Peptosyl anti diarrhea medicine for three or four days usually is enough to stop her flare ups and return her poops to normal and then the accidents inside also stop. Good luck it seems to be a constant battle with it for us. But now we have been able to manage her symptoms pretty well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the advice!! 🙂

Ultimately, I don’t think it’s from her colitis. We are going to try crating her again if it doesn’t get resolved soon. It’s just confusing because she doesn’t always have accidents.. but about 5/7 days of the week she does. Sometimes she will pee or poop if we are only gone for an hour.. this is why I think it may just be anxiety 😕

We will also visit the vet soon if it continues to get a professional opinion. As for her allergies, we just switched her to Holostic venture Alaskan pollock because ever since we switched her back to chicken she’s been itching a lot more.. ugh!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: nova hasn’t had a poo accident in 6 days and hasn’t had a pee accident in 4 days.. the only thing we have changed is giving her a digestive prebiotic and transitioned her from the chicken back to fish!! But she was on a fish diet when she started having accidents so I’m still a bit confused lol I will keep y’all updated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts