Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here and I am looking into adding a Boxer puppy to our home.  I have done my research (at least 2 years year's worth) on different dog breeds that would be a good fit taking into consideration my family, the ages of my children, our lifestyle, etc.  I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Labrador Retriever or a Boxer.  I know they are both wonderful breeds and family-oriented dogs.  I am leaning towards a Boxer.

But I am a little perplexed.  Does the price of Boxer puppies vary in the different regions of the U.S.?

I have corresponded with different breeders in my general area and it seems that the "going rate" (for lack of a better word) is $1800, $2000, and way upwards.  Today, I spoke to a person who works for a very well known and from what I understand large Boxer breeder in my area.  This person told me that their (I don't want to say "his" or "her" as I don't want to post personal information) dogs have excellent temperments (I do have a friend who bought from this breeder years ago- her Boxer boy passed away at around 10 yrs old and he was WONDERFUL), etc. and are in the area of around $3400 and up.  Say for example, $3400 would  be pet quality plain fawn or brindle- they would have a black mask, and maybe a little white on their body.  The flashy fawns/brindles prices go upwards.  She told me that for a show quality dog, it could be in the area of a $6000, maybe more.  Now I am not planning on showing- I am happy with a pet quality.  I also asked about white boxer puppies, and she did say that sometimes they have whites and there is a mandatory spay/neuter contract for them(which is perfectly fine with me- no argument there!) and that would be more like an adoption, in the area of $500.00.

It is not a case of "if you can't afford the price of the dog, how can you afford the vet care" issue with me.  I can certainly afford vet care.  But I am a little perplexed as to the prices of puppies.  I do know that it is costly for a breeder when they plan a litter and I won't negate that.

But is $1800 and up what the cost of a puppy would be?  Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
8O   thats alot of money...I didnt know they went that high...They are pretty cheap in my area..i know some places are higher than my area but i havent heard that high before

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O  I bought Roxy for $650! I think the highest is about $1200 for around here!

I dont know $3400 seems crazy and $6000 is just rediculous! I hope the dogs sperm is made of gold!!!!!!! :lol:  Lmao

Where in the world are you?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I got Lilly in the Pacific Northwest and as a white her original adoption price was $2500.00 (as a 1 yr old).  That's because of her pedigree and some of her training (they hadn't decided what she would be trained for yet).  They kept her and decided to train her as an S.D. (Service Dog) and realized that she had natural talent in the field of hearing work (WOOHOO!!! for me!!!).  I actually adopted Lilly for $600, because they dropped her "price".  No one could afford her.  I got lucky enough to get her!!!  With her training in Service Work, her breeding, her CGC, and her dual certifications her monetary value is upwards of $35,000-$40,000.

A puppy from her breeder is generally sold around $1500- $2500.  They have exellent pedigree's and temperaments.

Shoot, here (if you can even find a puppy) you would have to take a second mortgage out on your house (if it is from a responsible breeder affiliated with AKC and ABC).  Even the BYB's here charge an arm and a leg for a pup (today's paper had a listing for AKC Boxer puppies [no pedigree] slightly flashy for $1100).

So, to answer your question, yeah...it can vary from region to region, breeder to breeder (depends on their breeding "stock")...etc...etc...etc...

Sry to have highjacked the thread momentarily  :oops:  

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hijacking the thread?  LOL  

Any information and responses from anyone is appreciated.  No apologies needed  :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I live in New Jersey and I got my Roxy in NJ for $1,500, my Astro in NJ for $650, and my new puppy Jersey, I'm getting from PA for $700.  They all came with AKC papers (all full registrations).

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Wow that's crazy... we got Odin for $500. I say find a reputable breeder near or around your area that you are willing to travel and I bet you'll find much cheaper! If we had to pay that much for a boxer we would have never gotten him... that's like 2 easy or even 3 boxers for that price!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Boxers run anywhere from $300-1000 here...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Those prices are just nuts! Seek out another breeder! I'd say anywhere from $800 - $1300 is reasonable for a pet puppy. Anything more than that, I'd tell them to jump in a lake! Crazy!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel was 400 with papers.

My mom's friend, the golden retriever breeder sold a show, stud dog for 20 thousand dollars. I was shocked about that for a good 2 weeks. lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that those prices are crazy  :doh: Fiona was $350 and has papers, which did not matter to me since I am spaying her on the 21st of this month.  She comes from some great looking and well bred parents.

Here are her mom, dad, on the left:  I also suggest looking out of your area and having one flown in you would still pay MUCH less.  My breeder has a litter planned for December let me know if you want her info.  :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
We got Ruby for $500 with AKC registration.  A local breeder was charging $750 for fawns/brindles or $650 for whites, but the most I've seen was for $8-900.  The prices you listed seem VERY high to me, but what do I know!  This is our first Boxer!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are all reputable breeders though- no backyard or "fly by night" breedres.  They are listed on pages of Boxer breeders, show their dogs, recommended by other boxer breeders, some are on the AKC site for breeders, listed on the local boxer club sites, etc.

I contacted a very nice breeder a few hours away and the prices were still in the same range...  I guess I will have to continue my research.  But it is nice to know that if I would like to get a white boxer puppy at the local boxer breeder should they have any, there is only a $500 adoption fee.

My color preference is a reverse flashy brindle, flashy brindle or flashy fawn.  But when push comes to shove, aside from the boxer's "look", it is their charactaristics and personality that sold me, so in the long run, color may be secondary!

I guess I will have to continue my search.  I've researched breeders in  NJ, upstate NY and I think one may have been in Connecticut.  I am guessing that in the "tri-state" area, the prices are going to be similar...

I may look into contacting a breeder more out of state and flying a puppy to us.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Altho it's nice to get a pup from one of those "big name" breeders and I think I know some of who you are referring to, they are selling their pups based on their rep, which isn't bad, but it makes it difficult to afford a pup without taking out a second mortgage! Go one tier down on the breeder scale, still very good breeders, smaller operation, complete health testing, etc..I am assuming that you have Googled breeders in your area? And also gone thru AKC & ABC(am boxer club)?

As for those prices, Good lord, an average person can not afford that! My first boxer, almost 9 yrs ago in Calif we paid $450 for, champion lines, etc. That was about the going rate for a "pet" quality boxer....Rhonda, Angels' breeder sells hers for about $700, maybe a bit more depending on the breeding...Her show babies go for $1200 to 2000...All pet pups are from health tested parents, come with a spay/neuter contract as well...We have a lot of members on here kinda in your area, perhaps they can give you a hand and if I think of anyone, I'll let you know..

Another option is boxer rescue, true, they don't always have pups, but ther eare a lot of times they do and those babies need good homes as well....Good luck and keep us posted....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Capone was $400 Gotti was $300
When my other babies were still alive Rocky was $450 Star $300 Cheyenne $100

1 - 20 of 127 Posts