Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amor had been doing relatively well. Pancreatitis under control, no more people food other than an occasional vegetable, stopped meds for acid reflux and ear infection gone. She is eating Solid Gold bison, brown rice and sweet potato food since january/February since vet suggested she was allergic to chicken. Her food has digestive enzymes added to it (I just recently found out). She still has itchy butt and genitals. Vet checked for yeast afew months ago after a round of antibiotics and said there was none. The vaginal itchiness started after the meds and food switch. The butt itchiness has been on going for quite awhile but lessened with the food switch and antibiotics. Her poops improved tremendously and her fur is much softer and shedding hardly any (I can wear black again). My question is should I try a different food (vet suggested natural balance lid) that does not have sweet potato or try a probiotic first or try adding acv to her food or apply on her skin.

Other than the itchiness of those areas she is doing well on that food.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Itchiness sometimes indicates an allergy. My westie/maltese mix, Maddie, absolutely cannot tolerate any grains at all, among a host of other things, including chicken (or any other fowl), eggs, alfalfa (she also has a grass allergy), and potatoes (sweet or white). They cause her to become insanely itchy within minutes after eating, starting with rubbing her face, and progressing to digging at her ears and chewing incessantly on her feet.

Have you tried a grain free/potato free kibble? Many people have found that the Acana Singles line is helpful for sensitive dogs. Maddie can eat the Pork and Butternut Squash variety. I haven't tried the lamb yet. The duck won't work for her (fowl), but many people have good luck with it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As soon as the petfood express starts carrying it (acana and orijen) I am planning on trying it. She is allergic to chicken so I'm leary of trying anything with feathers. The food she is on now has bison and whitefish. All the other itchiness has cleared except for the genitals and butt. But it could also be due that I stopped all people food and treats. The vet wants to try the natural balance. She wants her to try a single protein source. I'm also leary of trying anything with too high protein and fat because of the pancreatitis. I have a vet appt next week and will discuss the protein and fat levels in the acana and orijen and see what she thinks. I don't mind paying 60 or 70 for a bag of food as long as my sweetheart is healthy. All the weight control foods (she needs to lose 5 to 10 lbs) contain chicken or turkey so I can't use most of those. Plus I've noticed they have more protein and fat than the one currently feeding. I know that it takes more than a couple days to see improvement. It's been since january fir this food. She does occasionally sneak the other dogs food that has chicken so we have to watch like a hawk and pick up the dishes when they are done.

I've been looking at acana and orijen for sometime now and can't wait until it's carried locally.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If you go to chewy.com you can order acana or orijen and they deliver to your door for free(orders over 49).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to see which one of the singles the vet would suggest. I'm leaning more toward the pork since she hasn't eaten it before but I know she likes lamb. They all have 27 % protein and 15 % fat. Her current food is 22% protein and 9% fat. Since the pancreatitis I don't want to give a food that would be too high protein or fat. I also need to find out if I would feed the amount for what we want her to weigh as opposed to what she weighs. I know she would love the duck but I am worried about giving proteins with feathers.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vet appt today. Going to check with the vet about a probiotic. Last visit I mentioned it and she didn't seem opposed but didn't think I should try it yet until all other issues were good.

Her butt is really the biggest itchy place. Her paws ears and face not so much anymore.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Be sure you are calculating fat on dry matter basis. I got in a lot of trouble with Rocco by not doing that. His pancreatitis kept resurfacing even though I thought I was feeding a "low fat" diet. Turned out when I calculated it out the fat content was way to high.

I agree that the itchiness may be from an allergy. Best of luck find out which it is.

I give Rocco a capsule of Proviable probiotics sprinkled on his food each day.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@roccosmom. What food are you feeding Rocco. My vet has me switching over to natural balance right now for a food trial. I thought she was just wanting to switch to a single protein source. She is almost finished with the transition. The bag says it is 21 % protein and 10 % fat. I'm so afraid of setting off the pancreatitis again. I had one vet xray saying pancreatitis and another the next day say she didn't see ît. The first took xray the 2nd ultra sound (the next day). Have you found any treats that Rocco could have on an occasional basis?

Also, how do I decide what probiotic to use? Is there something in particular I should look for. I know I saw one at petco that had a combo digestive enzyme and probiotic. How do I know if I give the right amount. Do I give it with food? The one at petco is a chew.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts