Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old male boxer and two days ago brought home a 8 week old Pom puppy. I know its only been two days but not sure if its going how its supposed to be going. Slowly but surely we introduced them and no aggression from either one. But Kain (the boxer) just wont leave her alone. At first its just sniffing which she allows then it turns into pouncing which the hurts and scares her. Now when he sniffs her and she gets irritated she's starting to snap at him which only excites him more and then more pouncing and accidentally landing on her. We can get them to both sleep on the bed next to each other but as soon as shes up walking or running around he's just all over her. Its weird though because they'll sit and eat out of each others bowl and drink out of the same bowl like they're best friends. I just wonder if he'll ever learn to be gentle. She weighs all of a pound and a half so im afraid he's going to hurt her unintentionally. Will he ever leave her alone? Will he ever realize she cant really play with him and just let her be?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum...Glad you found us & I'm sure someone on here can help...First of all Kain is a puppy and puppies want to play..Size doesn't matter, so it's up to you to teach Kain the boundaries of good play. As you are now dealing with 2 pups, totally different in size, temperment everything you are going to have to monitor things very closely..Keep Kain on a lead in the house so you can correct him as need be..I'm not an expert, but I do know someone that has both Poms & Boxers, let me talk to her and get some advice for you.....

·
Registered
948 Posts
They're both puppies.. He's like a great dane to her! He doesn't realize how big he is.. Hope it works out well...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Our 5 month old does that with our kitten. The kitten "lily" is about the size your pom pup is ( i used to own one- sweetest little dogs-the only little dog breed i would own!!) Reese will pounce and chase her everywhere!! when things get rough we pull lily up off the floor and tell Reese "no more play". at first she didnt understand but she is catching on now. She tries to play with the kitten the minute we set her back down, but i just tell her "no play" again and she backs off and find something else to do. not sure if this really helps but we were just consistant and Reese has backed off when she is told.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You need to teach your boxer pup appropriate play behavior.  Boxers are rough when they play with their littermates (that is a normal boxer characteristic!!!)  

Like the other said...teach you pup a no more play with the pom command (ie: no pom, no play, all done, cut it out etc etc etc...)

Be very consistant...boxers are the kings of turning a crack in the wall of your overall training regimen into a personal Grand Canyon!!!  They are so smart that they train us before we realize it.

Now you will also have to train your pom pup too.  You dont want its behavior to become aggressive!!  As a trainer, most of the worst bites (9/10) have been from small/toy breed dogs.  Dont allow his snapping.

Liz and Lilly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts