Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dempsey, only about nine weeks old has been becoming very aggressive towards the wife and kids, He nips at them all the time and then will charge them.

Even though my wife and kids have read three books on boxers and read several websites about bitting and charging is this normal?

By the way he starts his puppy training this Monday.

He is on a schedule
He wakes up at 6AM
Goes to the potty spot outside
then comes in and eats
then plays a little bit
then for his morning walk
then potty spot
play time
nap time
potty time
play time
la lone time
potty time
dinner time
walk time
potty time
play time
potty time
bed time

The problem we have is I had been currently deployed to Iraq and the wife and kids have been left in charge and my wife is at her wits end with Dempsey. He will be great for a few days then just goes banana's. The other question I have is his nip and biting more a result of him teething?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It sounds like your pup doesn't see your wife as a leader.  You guys should call the trainer your going to work with and tell them whats going on...

excellent details...btw...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yes, Liz is a professional trainer and will undoubtedly be here to help you out.  In the meantime, you can go to the Forum Index and look at all the posts under the Training section for some ideas on what to do until help arrives.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
As a trainer, I could undoubtedly give you advice, but because you're going to be working with a trainer shortly, I think you should notify them, so that they can give you advicebased on the training program they are going to use with your pup.

The biting:

You can teach your pup bite inhibition by yelping loudly and then walking away and ignoring your pup for a short time after the incident.  This shows them that it hurts and that the game ends when the incident occurs.  

The charging:

This could beyour puppies way of initiating play.  However, it is inappropriate behavior and should be stopped.  As soon as he begins the behavior give him a firm NO and walk away.

Please call your trainer for more specific details for your situation and their method of dealing with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my wife and kids have been doing the yelping and a firm no and walking away, thing as they read it in one of the books.

Is the bitter apple safe to spray on furniture legs? to help prevent Dempsey from chewing on furniture?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Before I used bitter apple on the furniture I would try to redirect her chewing to something else.  When my Sophie (also 9 weeks old) starts in on something she shouldn't, or if she is charging at one of us trying to play with those little needle teeth, I give her one of her toys or if she's really bend on distruction, I give her a kong toy with peanutbutter in it.  This is something the wife and kids can do with the puppy.  Your puppy will love it, and they can start bonding with the puppy insteading of fearing him.  It's all patience and consistency.  Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the helpful advice i think the kong sound the safest and best way to go about it.

He is already so big at 14 pounds and the only problem is he does not have that puppy belly he is still tapered so I have a feeling he is going to be a huge boy when he gets older.

Just want to make sure he feels like we are doing everything we can to make his life enjoyable and fun for him as he grows old with me and my wife.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The Kongs are wonderful, mine really enjoy them a lot, especially with treats...You can also take some of his kibble and put it in the Kong and let him "work" to get it out...Bitter Apple dpesn't always work for chewing, so be prepared..Some people have used Tabasco sauce(mine loved it) and also you can try Cayenne Pepper..Also try a couple of the flavored Nylabones for chewing..

As for the behavior issues, I have to agree with Liz, Dempsey does not see your wife as a leader..Strange question, but is she 100% commited to the pup? No fear issues or anything? I ask this cos Boxers in addition to their other traits are empaths, if Dempsey picks up uncertainity, he will act on that..Boxers are not dumb! How old are your kids? Can they be included in simple obedience exercises? My suggestion would be for your wife to take the lead in obedience right now, she can establish herself as Dempsey's leader that way. Work with him several times a day on basics, Sit, wait...Keep sessions short and make them fun...Lots of praise and lots of treats. It's not a cure all, but I think if Dempsey sees her as a leader, he will start taking what she asks a bit more seriously...May be wrong, but just a thought.....

I believe you said that you are deploying to Iraq soon? My thoughts will be with you while you are there...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kids are ages 10 and 14, He does great with "sit" and "down", My wife went and got him the Kong this morning along with a few more toys, She has been putting him on a leash and have him sit next to her when he just wont stop his nipping. He had a great day yesterday as no issues, His potty training has been going great as he runs to the back door and barks at it when he wants out.

The wife and Kids have been teaching him a few basic commands such as sit, down stay and he even can do a paw trick were he has to paw the hand with the treat in it which he does very well.

I am in Iraq, as of this moment, and wife and kids are home with Dempsey. Should have a bunch of pics to post in the next few hours

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Be safe over there!  Thanks for all that your doing!!!

How long is your TDY/Deployment?  If your not careful your gonna end up with a couple Boxer penpals on here!!!!    You may even get Boxer Love care packages!!!  LOL!!!

Goodl Luck and Stay Safe!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been coming and going since 2005, every four months I get to come home for between 10-14 days. I have been here 27 months total and have another 16 months to go till I am a free man.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not going to add anything on the training b/c the experts did a fab job as always.

My sincere gratitude to you for defending our great country & keeping us safe.  Thanks also goes to your family for their sacrifice.  I will keep you guys in my prayers.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Where is your "official" duty station?  Be safe man!!!  Im sure the girls on here and I could probably pull off care packages and/or penpal kinda thingfor you and maybe your unit too...  Let us know...

I'm guessing your Army or Marines?!  Your baby is beautiful!!!

I'm a vet, military brat, and military wife.  Many of us on here are connected to the military in some way.  That's why I say we may be able to pull off care packages and the like...Let us know...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am no longer in the army, I am a Defense Contractor now which calls for me to be gone from home some much at this time, but come December 2008 my contract will be up and is time for me to spend time with the family finally.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
oooo...sounds good...

so can you give us some more info...unitinfo...an address...whateveryou can think of...are you deployed with a unit or how does thatwork?

i think we can pull off the care package/penpal thing if you can give us more info...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can give a mailing address but can not give you a unit for obvious reason. Has to do with OPSEC, I can just say this that the moral of the men and women who are fighting is high and they are giving everything they have on a daily basis

Jimmy Johnson
KBR Services Site D-2
Camp Prosperity
APO,AE 09348

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I understand that.  I just didn't know if you were deployed with an active duty unit.  I'll also give this info to Willow and Lisa (samsonsmom and tootsie: moderators), so that we can move forward with this as a group and see if there are any others out there that have friends and family deployed that would also like this kind of thing.

Let your unit know that there are ppl over herethinkingof them and getting organized to send them a hookup.  A girlfriend of mine here (Hawaii) is on the forum also and we will probably send Hawaiian type treats.  

Something else you can do is ask the guys and gals what kind of stuff they would like in these care packages and if you have first names we can put on them individually (more personal and this way we can include a note with the package) or if a group thing would be better...

Let us know and keep us posted...STAY SAFE!!!

Aloha!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts