Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been taking Blue once a week to this Doggie Day Care near us, and sometimes he'll come home the a scratch or something like that.  I never really thought anything of it till last night.....

When my husband picked him up from Daycare last night he noticed his neck was a little red, now when Blue plays hard all the white on his body turns a shade of pink!  So he just thought he was tired from playing all day, since the workers said nothing to him.  When I returned home from work, Blue was laying in his bed, and wouldn't move.  His neck was all red and swollen.  I took one look at him and KNEW something happened.  I check him out head to paw, and found that he had bite marks all over his neck, claw marks on his chest, and two large swollen spots that were the perfect shape of a dogs mouth.  It looked to the point that Blue was man handled by another dog and they did nothing to stop it.  I immediately called the daycare and asked if anything happened.  They put me on hold for long time before getting back to me, and told me that another dog was playing very aggressively with Blue.  Blue is a very submissive dog.... He isn't the one to start a fight and usually if a dog is going after him he will just roll over on his back.  So this completely ticked me off, and I asked to speak with the owner.  To be admitted to this daycare you have to have a 5 hour evalutation to make sure your dog isn't aggresive.....  After speaking with the owner I found out that there were 35 dogs there and one superviser.....  They state in their application and on their website that they have one person per 5 dogs, so technically there should have been 7 people working and there was 1.....  After laying into this woman and letting her know Blue would never be back there and that I wanted to be given a credit for yesterdays visit...  She told me there was nothing they can do.

My question is what can I do, so this doesn't happen to other people?  They are completely unprofessional and don't follow any of the rules or guidelines they say are so important.  They let me little Blue get mauled by another dog, and didn't even have to common courtesy to stop the fight, or to say anything to my husband about what happened.....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Jesus...that's a total nightmare.  1 person for 35 dogs??  Did you ask if the person was the Dog Whisperer??

I don't need to put my boy in daycare, but I was considering it maybe once or twice a week for socialization purposes.  But ya know what, I just don't trust these places and your story is jut a big reminder of that.  If they aren't sorry for their awful business practices, you should at least spread the word that this place lets animals attack each other at will.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Mutt Hutt is the place here in Cleveland, and I just heard they were on the new last night for LOSING someones dog yesterday.....  How can I get in touch with 19 Action News????

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I would definitely spread the word. Businesses hate bad publicity, and if it helps even one dog, than I say it is worth it. Call your local news stations!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
they have to be breaking some kind of law (?) you would think that there would be some kind of mandate for that, and if they did not follow it they could be fined or shut down.it should be no different than daycare for our children.my daughters school has regular  visits from dhs ( department of human services) and record checks to make sure all the kids are up to date on their immunizations. it really should be no different with animals.good for you for laying into her and i absoultely think it is a very newsworthy story.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh my goodness, your poor baby. I would demand my money back (threaten with a lawyer if necessary). Maybe get in touch with their other customers. Also, they should pay for any vet bills, if you take him in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fox 8 news did a report on the Mutt Hutt last night.  They lost another couples dog, while he was there for the weekend.  That was on Monday, on Wednesday they allowed Blue to get attacked.  I have contacted Fox News in Cleveland and told them my story... Hopefully this will do something

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That is awful! I can't believe that no one has said anything before now..Surely you aren't the first owner that has had an issue like this...Stick it to them, They need to lose their license or straighten up, drastically....Doggie daycare is no different than kids daycare, you should be able to back up what you say and if there is insufficient monitoring, they have no business being in business...Good luck, hope that Blue is allright...If you take him to the vet, get everything documented as well....Keep us posted

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is terrible, I can't imagine only having one person for 35 dogs no wonder they lose dogs.  I hope they get closed down.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would go to the news papers too.  If you know anyone that takes their dog there spread the word.  They deserve to be put out of buisness.  Thank God nothing worse happened to Blue.  I would seriously tell them you want all your money back not just for one day because they advertised that they had 1 person to every 5 dogs and they didn't. False advertisement.  Take them to the Better Buisness Bureau.  I would tell them if they do not give you a full refund that you are going to sue for animal endangerment.  I would go to every resource you can, its not right that they told you they couldn't do anything about it.  Yes they can and they should.  Sorry if I sound a little intense but if you open a buisness like that your first priority should be the animals not how much money you can make by cutting corners.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Be careful about personally doing an ad in the newspaper and mentioning there name, they could try to sue you for slander.  I hate that Blue was ignored and mistreated.  I would also mention that I expected a full refund because they were not abiding by the rules.  Did you do a contract or have to sign anything?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I would definitely document Blue's injuries with a vet visit and pictures - they may come in useful down the road.  Sorry this happened to you and Blue.  Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah there was a 9 page application that needed to be completed....  And they didn't hold up their end of the bargin...  I would never put anything in the news paper!  I contacted the local new station that did a report on them last night.  Just to let the news station know that Monday was not the only instance the place neglected a dog.  They lost a dog on Monday and allowed my dog to be mauled on Wednesday.  I know mauled is a very strong word, but there is nothing else I can compare it to.  Blue was literally attacked by another dog and nothing was done.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would recommend that anyone who uses doggy daycare ask to go back and see their dog (or other dogs) in action.  Swing by during lunch or stop by a couple hours before they might think you are going to pick them up and ask to go with the person to the back to go get your dog.  Any daycare worth their salt would have no problem letting you go back to see your dog and pick it up.  I take Lola to daycare and I've done these "spot checks" probably 4-5 of the 15 times that she's gone there (because I'm a bit of a worry wart with my baby too).  Thankfully, every time I've done it Lola was with other dogs her size, playing nicely and with 1 human to about 6-7 dogs.

Personally, I think there are quite a few inherent dangers with doggy daycare or any type of situation where you put a lot of dogs together in one spot (boxer meetups included).  I've actually seen more canine violence in boxer meetups, and those make me much more nervous, than anything I worry about with taking Lola to daycare.  Lola got bit on the ear once (very minor) and I have a friend who's boxer broke it's leg at daycare.  Were either of them cases of neglect or were the dogs playing roughly/wildly like boxers have been known to play?  Who knows.  Lola got bit on the ear another time by one of my friends dogs and it was much more worse than the daycare ear bite.  Daycare, or allowing dogs to play together in general, is definitely a risk, and I think you have to make a decision based on whether or not that risk is acceptable to you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See the problem with spot checks for my husband and I is that both of us work job where we can't leave on our lunch break.  We have to be on the property for duration of our work day.  No way we can just spot by... I have had numerous people tell me this was a great place, hence why we picked it.  Maybe they are having a bad week and some workers called off....  I understand that, but just because something has changed doesn't mean that any dogs health or safety should be put in jeapordy.  That's where my problem with this place comes in!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would follow up with the news if you have not heard from them in a day or so and ask them if they do not plan to report the story if they can refer you to someone else like your local newspaper.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts