Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a trainer:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  Don't do this to your dog!!!  Most protective training is based on BREAKING your dog down and then building them back up to be aggressively protective!!!  If you make your dog an indoor dog, you will be fine.  Boxers are bred for gaurd work, so it is a gentic trait that they already have.  Good OBEDIENCE training and being an indoor dog is all a Boxer really needs to be protective and to be supurb at it!!!

Average owners (99% of the pet owning population) does not have the control, knowledge of dog behavior or body language, or the correct reasons for having a dog protection trained or owning a protection trained dog.  Please do not do this to your dog!!!  Boxers do not do well as protection trained dogs in a family setting!!!  If you are unmarried and without children, then consider a protection trained dog an excellent way to keep yourself that way as they are difficult to control or handle and can be volatile!!!  If you have a wife and/or children, then reconsider this as children will easily irritate a protection trained dog (they are trained to have "short fuses") and the potential for a bad bite or worse is a definite possibility.

I have had several protection trained dogs (military working dog I adopted) and even as a trainer I had to limit my social life and who came to my house because I knew what/who my dogs would or would not put up with!!!

Why ruin a perfectly good dog!!!???  Not counting, Boxers are notorious for being naturally sneaky gaurd dogs.  You can't hear them unless they WANT you to know they're there, They don't bark unless there is a NEED to, and they won't "attack" unless they have to protect themselves or their people!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I agree with Liz!! My girl has never been in protection training and shes a very good guard dog! barks at the door ect ect. she even growled at a guy that pushed me in the pet store when I was pregnant!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree as well. They are very good at protecting their family and are very sneaky. They will scare people off for the most part because of their large barks. But this is my opinion, and im with Liz and Roxy on this.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
No, I agree with what has been said already. While Boxers in general, tend to be protective towards their family members, some are better at it than others. A Boxer should never be acquired for the sole purpose of guarding. Please don't ruin your dog. There is a saying, "A Boxer will lead a thief to the jewels for a pat on the head." :wink:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
:lol: I sit here and read this and kinda laugh to myself. I pictured my girls trying to protect me or guard me and had to giggle  :D  If in the situation i would be left in the dust wake of my girls, standing alone to fend for myself!!!  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Andrea, Oh I was laughing at what you said about Savannah & Reese..Too funny...Boxers are already protective of their skin people, it's in their nature..Samson is very protective over me, he will actually stand in between me and another person if he feels i am being  threatened...So no, I would not feel any additional training would be good..You would be destroying your boxer..

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
We take Lola to a private trainer and my bf asked about protective training and he told us that a dog has to qualify for it, you don't just train any dog to be a protective dog.  He also said that there's no need for it since we have an indoor family dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I totally agree with all the replies on boxer guard training.  We have two boxers in our house that are brother and sister.  And if they feel that we are being threatened or one of my three children would even scream when they are playing they will come and stand beside them to make sure they are okay.  The girl boxer Shady will bark and let you know if someone is outside and the boy Brutus will stand behind the front door and wait to sneak attack you.  Boxers are very protective over whoever is in the house naturally.  And they have acquired these protective traits on there own, there was no training involved.   :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
At what age do boxers normally begin to show that instinct?  Ali is 6 months and does not bark at the door or exhibit any kind of protective traits.   :?:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My boxer is 9 months old and he has been doing it for at least two months or so.  If I am in bed sleeping and he hears any noise at all he will bark and go to the door.  Sometimes my boyfriend gets home late and Duke will always wake me up when he hears him outside the door, he has such a loud bark.  There were some drunks in the middle of our street screaming this weekend and Duke woke up and started barking, jumped on the bed to wake me up then ran to the door.  He is very protective of his family/house and when we are in the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The guard instinct starts to hit around 18 months - it will come out initially as them barking and then running and hiding.  Chloe at nearly 9 months would run around the house with this little woof under her breath if there was something outside.  At about a year - she would bark at whatever bothered her - then come and bark at you until you got up to take her to see what's up.  Now she growls and barks at people near our property while in the crate.  I also take her with me when I walk at 5am and about two weeks ago we were walking down the street and she stopped and started growling (first time ever outside the house) and barked a few times.  She wouldn't let me move forward - physically blocking me - I had to move to the other side of the street before I could keep walking.  I never saw what it was, but it was gone when we came home because she was fine later.  I have never "trained" her to gaurd.

We are training her to bark on command - which is enough to scare off a person when we are out anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts