Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zelda is about 11 months now, and she is a puller. Not all the timee, but especially when she sees new people, or dogs. I will take her to the park (look for one that's empty), but then people come eventually, and usually she is pretty good when I say stay she will get in her crouching tiger position. Once she goes at the dog to play (which I think could be dangerous if the dog isn't nice), she will not come to me no matter what. I will tell her come, sit stay, and every time I go to grab her collar she backs away, and runs from me while she keeps trying to play with the dog. Quite frankly it gets embarrassing!

got off subject for a second, but that is another issue.

Once I finally get her back on the leash, she will se another dog, and start pulling and pulling, and pulling.... oh, did I mention pulling? Anyhow, it got so bad that we bought a gentle leader.  When she is on the "face collar", she is good, and it makes it so she CANT pull! but when she is on anything, normal collar, choke collar, anything but the face collar, she pulls.

does n e 1 have any suggestions to stop her from pulling? or is this something that I will need to correct by keeping the face collar on her until she stops even trying to pull? should I just stop using all other collars until she gets it??? I dont want to take away her park runs, because it's the only time she actually can get that full blown sprint! and I dont want to have to keep her leashed all of the time. It gets to be a pain in the butt having to put that gentle leader on 3-4 different times in one park run.

Any advise would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona was a puller really bad when we first started walking on a leash.  We used treats as a way to teach her to heel, but we also used this product and it worked great for us.  Everytime she tried to pull it would pull her to face me and I could correct her better that way, and now she is very good on a leash.
What makes this different then normal harness is that the buckle is on the chest and not the back.  You have better control.

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp ... URLCheck=1

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Are you walking her?  I mean really walking her down the street.  Taking her to the dog park is nice but it's not going to be a good place for her to learn how to behave on a leash because there are so many distractions.  I think if you make an effort to walk her every day on a relatively quiet street/path, you will make better progress.  From what I've been told on here, the harnesses and gentle leaders are nice but if you want to teach your dog to behave with a regular collar, you just have to do it and stick with it.  Eventually they learn.  My dog is a puller too but I'm just using a martingale and slowly he's getting the idea that the walk goes much easier if he doesn't pull the entire time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a four month old and she is a puller to. I use a choke chain when walking but i do not like them at all. It just seems to be the only thing that works. However she starts obedience on Tue HOOORAY!
Samantha

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the only thing that stopped Reese from pulling was her gentle leader.we used it for a few months to train not to pull, and she does wonderfully now. we use it every now and then to reinforce no pulling, but Reese is 10 months now and is doing just dandy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
southerngirls\";p=\"49332 said:
the only thing that stopped Reese from pulling was her gentle leader.we used it for a few months to train not to pull, and she does wonderfully now. we use it every now and then to reinforce no pulling, but Reese is 10 months now and is doing just dandy!
Yah? she should get used to it then? I was afraid I night have to use the gentle leader forever!

anyone else have any suggestions on what I should do when she wont come to me???

anyone? anyone?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Check the training stickeys on Recall.  They work very well.  I add a very high pitched whistle prior to calling Ringer to come when he is distracted but after working recall for about three weeks, he comes running back like he hasn't seen me for days almost every time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote="sharonL\";p=\"49291":1vqg4ftt]Fiona was a puller really bad when we first started walking on a leash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts