Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is good punishment for when a dog misbehaves? ie, not coming when called, jumping up and knocking kids over, constant barking, going to a location in the house where he's not allowed, etc.

Generally our male (almost 7 month old) boxer, Fergus is reasonably well behaved and fully potty trained (no accidents inside for well over a month now!!! WOOOHOO!).  when treats are in view, he does numerous tricks on command.  

Sometimes he'll just start barking at either myself or my wife, and after several minutes of this, out of frustration we usually make him go in his crate.. which I know is not a good idea, because the crate is suppose to be his safe place, but putting him there.... fixes the situation (in the short term)

recently, when we let him out in the backyard, he's started eating his frozen poop treats he's left behind, and often will not come back in when called (maybe 50% of the time).  Either I leave him outside until he starts scratching at the door, or I have to go and try and chase him down.  My solution right now, is to put him on a rope to go outside, something I'd rather not do.

We try to to keep him in the downstairs part of the house, as the cat usually hangs out upstairs, plus during the day, we spend 95% of our time downstairs.  He always likes to try and sneak up stairs to go mess with the cat.

I'm well aware boxers are a very hyper breed, especially at such a young age, but if any of these habits can be corrected, I'd like to fix them.  He gets a 45-60min walk most days, plus play fighting, and tug/fetch games around the house, playing with our 2 and 5 year old, etc.

anyway.. any suggestions would be great.. I think I'm going to try focusing on "COME" more around the house and probably the hide and seek game.. but any other tips would be great.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I wouldn't use punishment so much as redirection.  Punishing him won't teach him what he should do.. only what he shouldn't- obviously he will get the behaviors you want much faster if you show him rather than telling him no all the time.
For example when he is around children keep him on a leash until he calms down around them.  Always make him sit before getting attention from the kids.  Felix has a problem with jumping on kids too- he just gets too excited around them.  I have him sit and then they can pet him. I just re-read your post and see that he jumps on YOUR kids... this may mean strictly supervised playtime (i'm sure they are supervised together anyway for both the pup and the kids sake)
With the barking- ignore him don't even look at him.  If you can't stand the barking, leave the room.  The key here is- YOU leave the room, not removing him b.c then you would be giving him contact. Leave the room, close the door until he is quiet.  Repeat if necessary ;)
You should never punish your dog for not coming to you- what will he learn but that when he eventually does come to you something negative happens?
Instead practice recalls inside or areas where he isn't distracted.  Practice with him outside too with a long lead on so you can "reel" him in if he doesn't come.  Oh yeah- treats help too :)
Keeping him downstairs is easy- get a gate.  there are types that you can attach to the wall and they will swing open for people to walk through and then easily latch closed to keep the dog out.  Hopefully he won't learn to jump over it- but putting it at the top of the stairs may make it harder to scale.
Also, keep his poo picked up if you don't want him to eat it... what are you feeding him sometimes this has an effect on dogs desire to eat their poop.
Good luck with the pup, and remember he is still a pup and still learning :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what was said....Timeouts are very effective, but not the crate....Attach Fergus to his lead and wrap it around a door handle, then just ignore him for 5 minutes...If he has behaved after that time, unleash him and praise him...There are 2 Sticky topics dealing with recall, one is a game that you can get your kids to play with you that might be great to try....The other are tips that were given to me when I was dealing with that problem with Angel....Recall is an ongoing project, even I don't do it everyday, as I should..Also at 7 mos Fergus is testing the waters, so to speak, so it's important that you establish who is the boss and what is acceptable behavior...As far as chasing him down outside, that won't work, I can tell you, Boxers think that is a game..What you can do, is try this, engage him in a game of tag, then you run towards the back door, chances are he will follow....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah.. all great stuff guys.. and the part about NOT punishing him for not coming, is something I know.. or knew.. something I needed to be reminded of thank you!! :)

tag game when he won't come, sounds good on one hand.. on the other.. I don't want that to become a habit, ya know.

ignore him when he barks! I love that thought.. makes so much sense. thanks

time outs, not in the crate, I had played with before.. we have a cupboard under the stairs I did that with him a few times, but now the garbage goes there, seeing as we couldn't keep him out of the garbage ;)

As for him playing with the kids and him jumping up.. I wouldn't say this is his normal behaviour.  nor is it ever in an agressive manor.  He's just playing around.. and gets too excited... and with my kids.. it's no wonder.. they are both pretty hyper, jumpy, LOUD playful kids. hehee.. in that respect.. Fergus is just fitting in status quo... DAMN IT!!! ;)  that's really not such a problem as the other issues I pointed out.  and extending on that.. g00dgirl mentioned about leashing him or wahtever until he calmed down.. which is something I do with friends and family when they come over.. cause he gets SOOO EXCITED to see new/different people.. but generally he is really good with the kids.. just gets too excited at times.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
When Buck was a pup, actually til he was about 2, we actually would put him outside when friends came over, then I would bring him in on a lead, he would have to sit at my side til he calmed down, then if he was good, I'd let him loose, if he started acting up, back on the leash he went....The jumping is a hard one to break, Samson never jumped, Angel does, so I turn my back on her and walk away, but I realize with small kids that is hard, he's getting their excitement and wants to play!!! Keep at it, it will get better if everyone stays consistent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts