Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Boxer to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they confirmed with an ultra sound that she was pregnant and would whelp 3-4 weeks from that date. Today I took her for a check up and x-ray to confirm the number of puppies, the vet came in and said that she is not pregnant that she absorbed the puppies. Has anyone had this happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@2manydogs, does this mean that she cannot carry a litter. This pregnancy was not planned as she is 3 years old and we got a puppy who is now 6 months. During her heat cycle we kept them apart for the most part but they got together and it happened. I'm planning on breeding them when her next heat cycle comes (he will be a little over a year).

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you do not know much about breeding none of us will help unless you have proof that you are doing all the proper health testing..
And are breeding to better the breed not to just breed your dog because you want to..

And when I say know much that means all proper health tests anyone can stick a bitch and sire together and get her knocked up but it is the wrong thing to do

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yep, this happens. There are many causes from poor diet, chemical exposure, defective genes, etc etc
This I didn't know about at all but I haven't dealt with many bitches and Bailey is fixed plus I've only had her a couple of months. Good to know though and certainly fascinating (sorry if that sounded cold or something I didn't mean it that way.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
@BigBoyDuke- SAY IT AGAIN, SLOWER AND LOUDER!!! I 100% AGREE!!!

I HOPE THEY HEAR YOU!!!

Thank you for backing me up I love this breed I have put the last 10 years of my life into it and even I would not breed...

There are plenty of good breeders out there we could always use another but my gut tells me this person is not breeding to better the breed and is in it to say she has done it...

I am sick and tired of seeing boxers in the humane shelter waiting to die because of irresponsible breeders....

Again I am just voicing my opinion and hope the OP wises up if I sound mean to tell the truth I am being mean don't do it

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you do not know much about breeding none of us will help unless you have proof that you are doing all the proper health testing..
And are breeding to better the breed not to just breed your dog because you want to..

And when I say know much that means all proper health tests anyone can stick a bitch and sire together and get her knocked up but it is the wrong thing to do
Thanks for being on the ball. I didn't even realize that the OP was asking for breeding advice as I was contemplating absorbed puppies.

Totally agree with you though and support what you said 100%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off, I was not asking breeding advise! I was simply asking if anyone has had this happen. The boxer breed has been in my family for 30+ years and this has not happened to anyone in my family who has whelped puppies. It was a simply question. Sorry for asking.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No one here is being mean but we have all seen our fair share of byb and don't want to add another to the list if the breed has been with your family for 30 years and have been breading them that long then you would of taken more precautions to keep.. A 6 month old male away from your female that was in heat the rule of thumb is 2 closed doors at all times I would even say 3 is better...

Does your family health test to better the breed and not just whelp pups to make a buck those are the questions that we ask...

Because like I said to many boxers die because of back yard breeding and it is something that needs to be squished like a bug

·
Registered
26 Posts
No one here is being mean but we have all seen our fair share of byb and don't want to add another to the list if the breed has been with your family for 30 years and have been breading them that long then you would of taken more precautions to keep.. A 6 month old male away from your female that was in heat the rule of thumb is 2 closed doors at all times I would even say 3 is better...

Does your family health test to better the breed and not just whelp pups to make a buck those are the questions that we ask...

Because like I said to many boxers die because of back yard breeding and it is something that needs to be squished like a bug
You start your post off with your not being mean, but just the post before you said you were being mean. I thought we were all on here to share heartwarming stories and/or help each other out? I understand we need to better the breed but that doesn't mean any of us is better than another just because you might know more than somebody else on here. To many people are on here asking for help and get frowned upon because they ask a question certain people don't like. Well I got my pup from an accidental litter, and I just got her ears cropped. I'm sure some people are throwing a fit right now after reading that but I wouldn't have it any other way. So judge away my fellow boxer lovers. I've had enough

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
180 Posts
You start your post off with your not being mean, but just the post before you said you were being mean. I thought we were all on here to share heartwarming stories and/or help each other out? I understand we need to better the breed but that doesn't mean any of us is better than another just because you might know more than somebody else on here. To many people are on here asking for help and get frowned upon because they ask a question certain people don't like. Well I got my pup from an accidental litter, and I just got her ears cropped. I'm sure some people are throwing a fit right now after reading that but I wouldn't have it any other way. So judge away my fellow boxer lovers. I've had enough

Sent from Petguide.com App

I know accidental litters happen but she is planning on breeding them and if the proper health testing has not been done then yes it is frowned upon...

Idk if this is your first boxer but they have a butt load of health problems and that is why people choose to health test and better the breed...

Do you know why 75% I would say of boxers end up in shelters because people can't afford the health problems that pop up...

If you are not bettering the breed and just doing it because say your dad use to do it then yes I will be blunt many people here help all the time but when it comes to breeding yes people get touchy on it...

Ask the girl here who works at a rescue who sees day in and day out what a byb does...
And yes I will say its irresponsible to let a 6 month old male get to a female who is in heat at 6 months I can bet no health tests where done...

Granted yes many great boxers came from accidental liters but take a trip to a boxer rescue in your state and they will tell you the problem is people who breed to make a quick buck....

That's all there is to it I know all of those dogs at the rescue are loving dogs but they got dealt a crappy hand because of an irresponsible breeder....

PS I have nothing against cropped ears I love the look but the wife does not and she wins the fight every time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts