Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 5 year old female (spayed) Boxer who is the best dog I have ever had! She was easy to train and has been perfect. I don't remember a lot about training her because it felt so easy at the time. We recently got a 8 week old female Boxer pup. She is rowdy and stubborn. She is doing pretty well with house training. She is nipping and biting hands and toes. We are working on that and have seen improvement. My concern is their play together. My older Boxer is great. She is gentle and loves the puppy. The puppy plays good most of the time. I hear her growl at times and she bites my older girl in the face, mouth, nose, neck, cheeks and ears. My old gal never yelps or cries out, she just shakes her off or paws her down and puts her muzzle on her. Occasionally my puppy will get growly and snappy at my big dog. I am struggling to identify if this is still playful or is she is being too aggressive. My older Boxer doesn't let it bother her. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Most times the older dog will correct the pup if she had enough. Could be from a growl, a paw on the pup,etc. Its also good to give the older dog some alone time with you on a walk, play, etc. They could use a break sometimes too and not always have a ball of crazy in their face. lol

Only thing I would pay special attention to, is once the female pup matures, how they interact. There are sometimes some issues with 2 females.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I do give them breaks and of course the puppy sleeps a lot. My older dog is fine with other females and has had a few female play companions over the years. Im hoping that the pup feels the same way lol. My older Boxer actually seeks out the pup to play. I just worry about the pups growling and snapping behavior. I think I am being paranoid though.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
She just might be a "talker". lol

My guy Zuke is extremely quiet when he plays but the one boxer he used to play with(he passed suddenly) was a big time talker. Sounded like a straight up dog fight but it was just the way he played. Very mouthy and talkative.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. This makes me feel better. I don't want the new pup to be aggressive. I think I am just struggling with how much her personality differs from my big girl. My adult boxer was so easy and not aggressive

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I would just keep an eye out, but if I had to guess she just might be a vocal girl. Congrats on your pup!

It is funny how different the personalities are between each boxer. My guy Zuke who has the best nerves of any dog I ever owned, plays with a female who is about a year old and she is very skittish. She is great if she knows you, but barks and growls at all strangers, new noises etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had never had a Boxer until Zoey (my big girl) but she was so amazing. She seemed kind of lonely and she has ways played well with other dogs (male or female) so I thought another Boxer. She does love love love the puppy and gets so excited when she is up in the morning. The puppy, Freya, also has some health issues (bladder infection and coccidia parasites) we are treating these now and hoping some of the snappiness stops when she feels better. We continue to tell her no and take frequent breaks with her and the big girl when they play and redirect her with toys and chew items. I think she is just verbal too, I hope so anyway. Thank you for talking with me. It makes me feel better to have an experienced owners opinion. I am having horrible anxiety over this lol.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I understand. My guy was really mouthy(typical) as a pup, just about up to when he finally lost his puppy teeth. Redirection and commands did nothing for those 1st few months. I would crate him to get relief sometimes and he had me at my wits end. Funny thing though, he wasn't destructive at all, would only go for my ankles, hands and ears, nothing in the house. And forget about saying "ouch" when he would bite, he would come twice as hard. Never understood how that became a thing. lol After the adult teeth came in he never was mouthy again. He isn't even mouthy playing with other dogs. Only think he will bite now is his bite sleeve and bite pillow.

Now he just uses brute strength when he plays, we call him the bull.:)

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Ugh .. well you can count on me to me to be "Mr Bad New's Bear!" Cuz you know ... you should not have got another girl!!

And understand .. I luv the girls! I am kinda bitter myself cuz my new Dog my wife "Picked for me is a girl!!! And two female Boxer's is absolutely the "Worst Combo," you can do!

But hey ... time will tell?? But I will say "for you"... if both dog's don't sleep in your bed (Crate Trained??) don't get on the furniture at will and don't free roam indoor's?? It can work out fine. But I doubt any of that is true?? It's not true for me ... already ... so my next, White Boxer needs' to be a Male! Cuz you know ... I have already ... F'd up and I know what I am I doing???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's okay to be a downer lol. I have heard this about females. I know at least 4 pet owners that have two female boxers and there are no issues. They are all spayed, don't know if this has anything to do with it. I don't worry about my older gal, she loves all dogs, we had a female dog before who was 16 and passed away last year with no issues between them. I may regret my decision later but I have confidence in my old girl to teach the baby the ways. There are no signs of aggression at all on the part of my older Boxer. The little one only gets mouthy and snappy it seems when she is tired and has been playing for a long time. I have noticed this pattern, plus she has been sick for the 12 days we have had her, now on the mend. They do snuggle up and will lay together as well. My older dog is very protective of the puppy and checks on her often. She actually came and got me in my office today when the puppy woke up from her nap. Let's just hope you are not right all of the time 😉

·
Registered
646 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy I hope her medical issues resolve quickly. I would be correcting this puppy right now if she is getting overly aggressive with your female she is trying to get the upper hand already and it sounds like your older dog is a more passive personality. Puppies are used to competing among their litter mates for food or the warmest spot and they will usually have a more dominate one in the litter that gets all the goodies first. Sounds like this puppy is a dominate one. I think you should make sure she knows her place is after you , the older dog as well so stepping in when she is biting hard on your older dog will show her she is not in charge if she insists on being aggressive I would separate her from the older dog until she calms down. I do think you may have a big problem brewing here. I have had several females over my time with Boxers and I have found that playing with other females outside of the house or a visiting dog is alot different than one that lives there full time. My female now plays with another female Boxer that is older and she loves her but they don't live together! That's the difference. There are several owners on here that have successful same sex households I think the key to that is the dogs know the owner is the alpha and they are not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are correcting her behavior already. She does not do this all the time and she doesn't bite harder. She just barks and growls at times but her tail is wagging and there are no other signs of aggression. We separate them and let her calm down when this happens.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
A lot of what you are seeing now ..is just pure "Puppy Stuff," and yes you have to take control but it's not that big a deal??

But the time to plan for the future is now! And the one thing you should start to train her well them really is the "Place Command!"

Just "train that," and I am ... reasonably sure you won't have future issue's?? It's pretty much a standard technique that all the "Pro's," that deal with "serious freaking issue's," employ. Dog's default to ... "Known Behavior's." It's how I was able to keep my "Human Aggressive WL GSD in the living room with me, when we had company ... I just had to keep company out of his face. And he was good with that. :)

But the time to teach it is now. And also incorporate less screwing around indoor's! Outside is for play inside is for chilling out! And with that ... then maybe the bed and hopping on the furniture (if that is what they do, won't matter??"

And heck ... you go first and in a year ... let me know! Cuz as I said, I really want a girl Boxer as my second dog! But I have already screwed up ... Bella has broken all my rule's and then some! I did not have a dog that actively want'ed to hurt people and that was such a relief after ten year's of always being on point ... that I got kinda lax with the rule's... my bad. :)

But this what you need to do.

And I can say that in well uh million's of word's and thousands of Dog on Dog issue's .. I have never heard anyone say "that I did Sit on the Dog and my Dog's are trained in Place," and I have "Behavioral Issues!" Now it could happen ...but I have never seen it?? :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We actually decided it would be best to rehome her. After reading the stories on here and researching we decided it was best. My 5 year old Boxer has free reign of the house and to be honest I am afraid no one else in the house will work with me and enforce what needs to be done. I have a friend with a Male Boxer that is going to take her and I feel this will be a better situation for her. I have cried and cried over this and it was not a decision I made lightly. Please don't judge me. I never thought I would be that person. I am absolutely heartbroken. I will leave the forum now. Thanks for all the information and advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey don’t be so hard on yourself.

Puppies take a lot of care. Even well mannered ones. Our Rocket is a sweet puppy, yet he has driven me up the walls. Whether it’s potty training, manners training, or just dealing with puppy energy—it’s frantic, seems like it will never stop, and then1 minute later they are passed out and snoring.

Right now our 8 year old boy tolerates the 10 month old puppy. They get along, but Max just getting up in age. Max is a sweetie now, but my wife reminds me how much of a pain he was in the first 2 years: wake up at 4-5am to his crying because he had to pee, he was a major jumper, on EVERYone, he had no manners or off button for his playfulness with new dogs, old friend dogs, whatever. Always turned off our dog-owner friends because he was too hyper...
It’s a commitment, and you just have to know when it’s still okay, or when you’ve had it...

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 5 year old female (spayed) Boxer who is the best dog I have ever had! She was easy to train and has been perfect. I don't remember a lot about training her because it felt so easy at the time. We recently got a 8 week old female Boxer pup. She is rowdy and stubborn. She is doing pretty well with house training. She is nipping and biting hands and toes. We are working on that and have seen improvement. My concern is their play together. My older Boxer is great. She is gentle and loves the puppy. The puppy plays good most of the time. I hear her growl at times and she bites my older girl in the face, mouth, nose, neck, cheeks and ears. My old gal never yelps or cries out, she just shakes her off or paws her down and puts her muzzle on her. Occasionally my puppy will get growly and snappy at my big dog. I am struggling to identify if this is still playful or is she is being too aggressive. My older Boxer doesn't let it bother her. Is this normal?
I had the very same situation last summer. I did much research and here's what I learned about puppies with older dogs: Sometimes you think it's going to be a fight to the death. Ferocious growling, snarling, and what appears to be ripping each other apart. If (big if) they both keep going back for more, then it's just the older dog teaching the puppy to spar. If one dog retreats and does not go back for more then you may have an issue. We ended up having to carry our 77 pound Boxer (5 years old & spayed) to the Vet because our new puppy nipped at her neck until it was raw and bleeding. Oddly enough, the older dog didn't seem to mind. Silly dogs! The puppy will be a year old this month and they are still inseparable and still sparring. Best friends ever!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's okay to be a downer lol. I have heard this about females. I know at least 4 pet owners that have two female boxers and there are no issues. They are all spayed, don't know if this has anything to do with it. I don't worry about my older gal, she loves all dogs, we had a female dog before who was 16 and passed away last year with no issues between them. I may regret my decision later but I have confidence in my old girl to teach the baby the ways. There are no signs of aggression at all on the part of my older Boxer. The little one only gets mouthy and snappy it seems when she is tired and has been playing for a long time. I have noticed this pattern, plus she has been sick for the 12 days we have had her, now on the mend. They do snuggle up and will lay together as well. My older dog is very protective of the puppy and checks on her often. She actually came and got me in my office today when the puppy woke up from her nap. Let's just hope you are not right all of the time 😉
We were also warned not to put two females together. Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've been pairing female Boxers for 25 years and never had an issue. We've never introduced two adult females; it's always been a female puppy to an older female or a female puppy and her Mom. Maybe that's the key?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think it was probably a good decision to rehome the puppy. Hopefully she will be close by enough for you to see her and to let your older dog still play with her. This would be alot worse situation if she were to grow up and there would be constant fighting that would be an awful decision to have to make or make the dogs live separate. If you do get another boxer I would suggest a male they are fantastic and they are a little more energy wise but very loyal and I have never had a problem with fighting so far. I don't think you are a terrible person for rehoming her, just so the home is a really good one that understands boxers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes she is going to a home with a male boxer so they are familiar with the breed. It is a friend and I made sure she had a loving home to go too. I had to be the bad guy in the family and make this decision so I am sure it will be a while before we get another dog if we ever do. This was so heartbreaking.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
We actually decided it would be best to rehome her. After reading the stories on here and researching we decided it was best. My 5 year old Boxer has free reign of the house and to be honest I am afraid no one else in the house will work with me and enforce what needs to be done. I have a friend with a Male Boxer that is going to take her and I feel this will be a better situation for her. I have cried and cried over this and it was not a decision I made lightly. Please don't judge me. I never thought I would be that person. I am absolutely heartbroken. I will leave the forum now. Thanks for all the information and advice.
Wait what?? Why Leave??? And, why would think ... we would be judging you??? That's ... not really how we roll here. :)

It's not like you said ... "It's not gonna work, so at midnight I'm gonna, tie her to a fence pole at the local shelter and you know "wish her the best." Now a decision like that, "would bring the heat!" But that of course is not what you did! "You," took here in and kept here safe.

And yeah while right now ... she sound's like a basic PIA, puppy?? You then did your research! And found out that "apparently," two female Boxer's is not really a "Good Idea," for most people??

And yeah most likely I was uh "less than helpful, with my commit about, "well sure they get alone fine now ... but wait a year or so?? Tic,Tic Tic (as it were) and then it "could have been," sigh the "Old My Dog Changed bit???"

Saw the one all the time on Germanshepardforum and usually it happened in the 12 to 18 month range and the all "Hell Break's Loose," it caught me off guard and it "still" happen's (on GSD ... all the time!)

But in Boxer World ... not so much??? In "Working Dog," we do tend to be able to get away with "Murder," for the most part?? For the vast majority of us ... our dog's are spoiled rotten and get away with anything short of behavior that could get them killed!

But ... the "Dark Side," is pretty much "two girl's," in the same home! Most of us will never see it (hopefully) but a seriously ticked off Boxer Female??? The term "Berserk," comes to mind. I managed to trigger it over baby kitten's and my Band Dogge's ... "lack of respect over baby kitten's being born??"Struddell felt Gunther should more "RESPECT," and by God ... if Dad was not teach him ... then she would!!

That was decade ago and I still remember it ... I had never seen anything like it??? Just sheer rage combined with speed and fury! But Gunther (Dog Aggressive Band Dogge) I might add, just wanted to get the heck of Dodge! Daddy's baby girl and I just want out ... let him deal!!

Sigh and I did but that was one combatant and no none combatant and one non combatant ... but let "two girl's," cut loose on each other ... and your on your owe?? Yeah ... Good Luck, with that! Not saying that would have happened but odd's are it would??

It happen's often enough that Boxer Rescue Policy is "No Boxer's to home's that already have a Female Boxer!" Period ... they have seen it before and they are done with it!

The Two Female Boxer thing .. is a "real deal," it can happen with GSD's, also but a "NO," is not SOP with them?? Not saying that would have happened but odd's are it would??

So you know there is that. So you had to make the call, and not wanting to change your current dog's way of life is more than fair! And I don't "know," if that would have been required?? But I tend to think it would?? You can't have one set of rule's for one dog and another set of rule's for one dog and another set of rule's for the other??

And you are correct, you have to have a "Buy In," from everyone in the household! I actually see that right now with my Bella. Marilyn get's tired of her always in the kitchen, under foot when she (Marilyn is in there.)

But ... the rules have to be constant for the "Dog," to understand them. And sigh, they are not and yeah ... that's on me! :(

Marilyn tell's her to get out! But I am the main trainer, so she follow's me into the kitchen and I may or may not, look and her and say ..."bad dog." And then you know turn away, cuz you know ... I don't really care ... my bad. :(

But back on point ... you've done good! We are "proud of you!" You did good! You kept her safe, and you found her what sound's a like more "suitable home!" Not really your plan but ... basically you were a "Foster Home!"

And as a "Foster," although I sucked at that myself?? Our job "is" to keep the dog safe until we can find them a "Good Home!" And it sound's like ... that is exactly what you did!

And yeah ... letting them go is "Hard!" And you do cry and it is very hard to let them go! Most likely "letting them go," is much harder then keeping them, when you should not, cuz you don't really know what your doing???

Actually speaking for myself there it and for me it worked out in the long wrong ... but yeah my first dog did bear the burnt of my "learning curve" so yeah ...

So you know this a long way of saying ... "You can hold your head high!" Cuz ou did good!! Is the dog better of with me or with someone else?? It's not an easy call to make. My Gunther and well me ... paid the price for me arrogance in keeping my first WL GSD! Gunther had to endure Five attack's in his own home!And I got to sent to the ER for the first stitches in my life ever! Breaking up "Dog Fight's! But hey, it worked out in the long run. :)

At any rate , this is just my rather long way of saying, it sound's like ... "You Did Good!" There is most certainly no need to think, you failed or that you need to go away???

We need more member's like you! Not fewer, what is best for the Dog is all that matter's! And you did good! SO you know "Stand Proud!" And most certainly ... don't disappear on us! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts