Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am sure it was, My female dog goes to play with an older female boxer all the time she is owned by a friend of mine her dog is 8 and my girl is 2 they are great friends but the thing is they don't live together. I am glad you took the time to look at other posts here from experiences people have had trying to house two girls sometimes it works but alot of the time it doesn't two dogs fighting not a good thing people usually get hurt trying to break them up. Let your older girl go play sill she will love it but when she comes home its all hers and so are her people!

·
Registered
241 Posts
We actually decided it would be best to rehome her. After reading the stories on here and researching we decided it was best. My 5 year old Boxer has free reign of the house and to be honest I am afraid no one else in the house will work with me and enforce what needs to be done. I have a friend with a Male Boxer that is going to take her and I feel this will be a better situation for her. I have cried and cried over this and it was not a decision I made lightly. Please don't judge me. I never thought I would be that person. I am absolutely heartbroken. I will leave the forum now. Thanks for all the information and advice.
Please, don’t be so hard on your self.
We currently have 2 boxers, a female, Kalani, who turns 13 in a month and a young male, Kekoa, 3 1/2.
we got Kekoa when only 6 weeks old, but that’s another story. Your story reminds me how these two would interact. We wonder laugh, say how he really wanted to be Alpha, but didn’t stand a chance, LOL. We have had boxers since 1992 and with the exception of our first, always more than 1, and even up to 6. When we had the 6, 4 were female (Kalani and 2 girls from two litters, 2 were male, (Father & Son). When the youngest girl was about 21/2, she started having issues with her older sister. Very random and not predicable but escalated in frequency over time. They could be asleep by side 2 minutes before an incident. All the dogs were neutered, so not an issue. No assistance or help. Sadly, about 3 years in, it reached the breaking point of never knowing when an incident, even more than 1 a day.was taking a tole on both wife and I. My only solution was rehoming. So I rehomed the younger sister and her brother together to a very good home, couldn’t bare to separate them as they were alway close. Broke my heart, many a tear, but I knew it was best for them. Never saw aggression in the older sister again, complete reversion to former sweet self until she passed of congestive heart failure years later.

You did good. Don’t leave.

Reactions: chip18

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you so much. I really read all the posts here and online and I just wish I would have done the research before hand or the breeder would have told me. But I learned my lesson, a very hard one to learn. Everyone is mad at me, here at home, and I am mad at myself and judging myself harshly so I assume others will as well. She has been very loved and cared for. After reading some things on this forum and online I started to notice some things that both dogs were doing that while might not seem serious right now, would definitely become an issue later if that continued. I also want my 5 year old boxer baby to go back to being herself. She has started to stick to me like glue, stay in my office when I work, crawl on my lap more so than before. She will play with the puppy and she will even seek out the puppy. The aggression is more on the puppies part. Laying on my big Boxers bed and then barking at her if she gets to close. My big girl just walks away and jumps on the couch but in 2 years will that still be the case. I just feel this is the best decision and I thank all of you so much for being supportive. I don't take pet ownership lightly and I love both of these dogs so much.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
LOL well "somebody has to be the "Bad Guy!" And in your family it seem's like that is you! The "Burden of Command," as it were. :)

Way back in the Day when I got my first WL GSD ... if I would have reached out and said well my "experience," is with Bully Breed's. Your Boxer's, Pit's, Pit/Boxer's and Band Dogge's, someone might have said ... "Well you know that is all well and good but ... "you know ... those are all low "Rank Drive Dog's?? But GSD's are High Rank Drive Dog's??

Sigh... well "two female Boxer's," in the same home break's that rule," (there is always the exception) but in general "Bully Breed's" are "Low Rank Drive Dog's!" So in general that means you can pack them in like "Potato Chip's! And there place in the "Dog Pack," is "Good with them!" But as it happen's ... "Wl GSD's," are High Rank Drive Dog's!?? Bully Breed's are low rank drive dog ... as a general rule ... there "place in the Dog Pack, is good with them! But WL GSD's ... not so much??

But even still it's "complicated??" At home Struddell, ruled the roost but out and about, she deferred to the Males! Another story but I saw it! I only had to Gunther had to control Gunther in order to keep my "neighbor's POS crap little Dog, from getting ripped to shred's when he invaded my dog's space and got in Gunther;s face!!! I told Gunther "Stay/Stay/Stay and Struddell was right on Gunther's flank! Waiting to see what he did??

If Gunther had moved ... Stru would have pitched in and they would have ripped that little A/H in half in half in a second!! But Gunther held station and so did Stru!
And they let me deal with him. :)

But my point is the "girls," and I don't care how sweet and innocent they appear to be?? Are/can be ... seriously hard core ..."Bad Asses!" You just don't normally see it?? But I will take two males in conflict any day over two female Boxer's, that one day decide someone has to go???

And most likely the rest of your family, does not understand this but "you do!" So you know somebody has to the "bad guy," and right now with your family ... that is you! And while they don't understand that ... we do. And we say ... you did good! :)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
We actually decided it would be best to rehome her. After reading the stories on here and researching we decided it was best. My 5 year old Boxer has free reign of the house and to be honest I am afraid no one else in the house will work with me and enforce what needs to be done. I have a friend with a Male Boxer that is going to take her and I feel this will be a better situation for her. I have cried and cried over this and it was not a decision I made lightly. Please don't judge me. I never thought I would be that person. I am absolutely heartbroken. I will leave the forum now. Thanks for all the information and advice.
Don't be hard on yourself...you know your family and what can be dealt with. Better to do this while still a young pup. Stick around we love to hear about everyones boxer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My 5 year old is the perfect most loving wonderful angel I could ever ask for. She is my soul dog and I love her like my own child.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You did what you had to do and you did it the right way. You know she is going to a good home. Since its someone you know you can still visit and watch her grow.

Its sucks having to be "the bad guy", but I would say you were the responsible one. You researched the situation, you know everything thats going on, you see how both dogs interact, and you made a tough choice, but if I had to guess, the right one.

Stick around. No reason to leave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 5 year old female (spayed) Boxer who is the best dog I have ever had! She was easy to train and has been perfect. I don't remember a lot about training her because it felt so easy at the time. We recently got a 8 week old female Boxer pup. She is rowdy and stubborn. She is doing pretty well with house training. She is nipping and biting hands and toes. We are working on that and have seen improvement. My concern is their play together. My older Boxer is great. She is gentle and loves the puppy. The puppy plays good most of the time. I hear her growl at times and she bites my older girl in the face, mouth, nose, neck, cheeks and ears. My old gal never yelps or cries out, she just shakes her off or paws her down and puts her muzzle on her. Occasionally my puppy will get growly and snappy at my big dog. I am struggling to identify if this is still playful or is she is being too aggressive. My older Boxer doesn't let it bother her. Is this normal?
I think it's normal. Our 5 month old female boxer/pit growls and barks when she plays with other dogs and they seem fine with it. When we play tug o war with her she growls but she has never been aggressive about it. She is a ball of energy of course but she let's us know when she has had enough (as in she will just stop playing and go to sleep). She is quite a joy to have in our home and does very well with our 9 year old cat. They challenge each other and chase each other, the cat is serious but the pup is playing. They're hilarious! Our pup does get rowdy and she does get stubborn sometimes but we think it's just a puppy stage and she will grow out of it. We stay on her with the training and she is doing so well with it. We have never had a potty training issue. We are going to train her to be a service dog for anxiety and balance issues as it appears I may be going down that road and our pup has a good temperament for it. She has already learned how to hug and it takes away all my anxiety, especially helpful at the end of a long hard day.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I hope you will stay on this site we all love chatting with our boxer friends, and you still have a boxer so stay around! There is good and useful info on this site too I have found many helpful things here from others experiences as well. If you feel your girl is lonely take her to your friends and let her play with those boxers if they all get along that way she can come home and get all the attention again and none of the strife of dealing with the puppy all the time

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I think it's normal. Our 5 month old female boxer/pit growls and barks when she plays with other dogs and they seem fine with it. When we play tug o war with her she growls but she has never been aggressive about it. She is a ball of energy of course but she let's us know when she has had enough (as in she will just stop playing and go to sleep). She is quite a joy to have in our home and does very well with our 9 year old cat. They challenge each other and chase each other, the cat is serious but the pup is playing. They're hilarious! Our pup does get rowdy and she does get stubborn sometimes but we think it's just a puppy stage and she will grow out of it. We stay on her with the training and she is doing so well with it. We have never had a potty training issue. We are going to train her to be a service dog for anxiety and balance issues as it appears I may be going down that road and our pup has a good temperament for it. She has already learned how to hug and it takes away all my anxiety, especially helpful at the end of a long hard day.
Well Welcome Aboard. And there is certainly no shortage of Boxer/Pit's on here as well as other common mix's?? Labrador/Boxer's also seems to be a "thing???" Boxeador's I think they are called?? I have never seen one and I don't much about them ... but I'm pretty sure they like people! :)

Bella is my second Boxer/Pit and compared to my first Boxer/Pit, Stewie a male ... she is a real piece of work! Hence my particular interest in this thread! But sigh Bella is not a Bob! And that Ticked me off! .

I wanted another Struddell, White Female Boxer and I already ... messed up for adding such! As I "know," what I would need to do to "make a female Boxer, work," and it is not what I have done so yeah ...

But moving on ... the Cat thing?? Yeah ... now I don't usually say I am a "Pro??" Butt ... I was a cat first before adding dog's. Cat rescue guy and at my high point I had 18 cat's! I kinda sucked at the placing them part so yeah ...

These days I am down to five cat's. But many, many year' when I added my first Dog/Puppy ... I had "one rule," the "puppy/dog," "Does Not Chase The Cat!!" Not one paw forward in pursuit ever!!!

"My Standard's," . And my "Rules" are pretty high, with Cat's and Dog's are admittedly pretty freaking high! To wit ... my Cat's are not going to change anything about how they live in there "home," because I bring a new creature!

That's how I roll! And sigh, prior to my current to my current Boxer/Pit I could say in 15 year's and five dogs ... I never had a single Cat/Dog incident! And then came Bella! My current Boxer/Pit which I got at a year old and as far as I know, never lived with cat's??

And sigh ... my perfect record has been broken!!! But it's not really about Bella (PIA) that she can be ... as much as it is about "some," Cat's! Bella is pretty much perfect but one of the two male's ... just don't "trust her!" One of them ... "alway's," think's that if she move's fast... she is coming for them?? And she never is or has??

She did grab FW, (Fuzzy Wuzzy) once by the scruff!! A year or so ago by the ! scruff!! Pissed me off and I think it that was over treat's?? Yeah she has not done that again and FW ... has no issue with her these day's. :)

Spooky aptly named is a "Dog Cat," and she Luv's her and FW that Bella throttled has today no issue with her! And Bob ...my newest Stray/Rescue ... never even noticed her! And Spike ... well he he is "aware of her," but they get along fine. Stumby however is the real issue!

Bella never pays attention to the Cat's ever at all. But if she moves fast to get to the window or the Door and Stumby is there?? Stump always "assumes" Bella is after him!!!

Several week's ago it got bad!! I was late on the scene and did not see what happened?? But Marilyn said ... Stump swatted Bella and Bella retailed!! It was bad and loud but no one got hurt.

Bella is pretty much a prefect Dog/Cat and she deferfer's to the alway's and still! They can block her by not moving and she will wait for them to move! And after the Stump and Bella encounter ... I really did expected to see a difference, cuz "Marilyn" who was eye's on said Bella grabbed Stumpy and thru him!!

Well I did not see what went down?? So I could not "punish," who ever?? But I saw not change's in either combatant?? Bella still defer;s to Stump and Stump has no issue's with getting in Bella's face or in her way! Stupid cat's!!

Long way of saying ... I don't care how "Cute," it is now?? You should not be letting your "puppy," chase your cat! And if you want to make her a "Therapy Dog??" And she "chase's cat's,' ... yeah "Good Luck," with that!

Now I will grant ... that with "Dog/Cat," issue's... I'm not particularly impartial?? The vast majority of my personnel dog's grew up as puppy's with cat's ... and they did not/were not allowed to chase them ...no big deal.

But if you rescue Cat's, sooner or later, your gonna get around to rescuing dog's?? And if you do, you can bring home a Potential "Cat Killer???" LOL ... that was ... fun! 85 lbs of pure "Cat Killer" APBT ... fresh of the street!!!

It took" me" about 24 hours, to convince her that if she was gonna live her?? Yeah "NO," your not gonna be doing that crap!! ANd my "work," was by my "Aptly," named cat "Spooky!!" SHer saw the dog when I brought her (on leash) and Spook said "said," yeah I am outta here!!!

Frankly ... I never thought I would see "Spooky," in the living room again for month's?? SO you can imagine my surprise when 24 hour's later ... I saw "Spooky," come out of the back to meet this new creature?!And would have been Sally ... laid down, to meet her!

So aside from "me," the other dog's ... that "Don't Chase Cat's," are LE Dog's, Bomb Detection Dog's, MWD's and of course Seeing Eye Dogs and Service Dog's!

Those dog's "CAN'T DO THERE JOB," If the random appearance of a "Cat," can pull them off focus?? Cat chasing ... is a "Big Deal," if your "Life Depend's on your Dog's," ability to do his job!

My life does not depend on my dog ... I just have a pretty low threshold, for crap behaviour! And you know ... if you can't stop a "puppy," from chasing cat's?? You pretty much have "No Chance," of stopping a Boxer/Pit from doing the same ... when out and about??

And sigh, Boxer/Pitt's are very similar to Boxer's but the Girl's with a cross ... apparently "double down," on the hard core pig headedness! Just saying. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This happens naturally, dogs often fight with each other due to the food or location they have, but we need time to get along and play with each other.
You don't need to worry too much about that.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
This happens naturally, dogs often fight with each other due to the food or location they have, but we need time to get along and play with each other.
You don't need to worry too much about that.
Stump AKA Stumpy is a CAT, not a dog?? Sorry if that was not clear, my bad. :)

Bella did not even see him?? Bella was rushing to the back door for whatever and Stump was in the way-ish?? Five cat's here now and only Stump think's, everytime, Bella moves fast ... she's after him??? And Bella "Never Is???"

21 - 33 of 33 Posts