Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I both work full time.  So I am curious if there was anyone else on here that worked full time and had a puppy.  When we got Binga my husband was between jobs and home with her for a short amount of time.

If we were to get a puppy now can they be left alone for 8 hours?  I know you would have to make a designated area for him/her.  And I know that needing to go potty is going to be hard for him/her.  We want to get another puppy in the future so I was wanting to hear some opinions on this.

So any full time workers out there have any suggestions or advice?!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Adam and I both worked full time when we had Duke.  We came home to some messes in his kennel but it worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Both my husband and I work full time and Maggie and Herbie are 6 months old.  I have crate trained both of them, however I do come home on breaks and lunch to give them time to stretch and play alittle.  If there is ever a time that I cannot come home I ask a neighbor that I trust to come over and leave them both out, play with them a bit or even feed them if I need him to.  I hope this helps alittle  :lol:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I work full time and all 4 of the dogs are at home by themselves. They have a doggie door and a fenced in yard so they let themselve in and out. The cockers are older and sleep most of the day. the pups on the other hand LOVE to get into stuff!!! I have come on to the trash can being knocked over and emptied in the kitchen floor ( that happens alot!!!!) 8O  They have unrolled the tp a few times. I want to chock them when I first walk in the door sometimes. Then there are the days when they don't get in to nothing. I am hoping for more of those in the future :roll: It really depends on their moods

·
Registered
648 Posts
My wife and I work full time. Once you get your schedule down and are consistent things get much easier. My day starts at 430am walking, preparing food and playing with Britney until we both leave for work. Then I put her in her designated area and when we get home she is fine. She plays pretty much all day with her squeaky toys. However, just to mention she never fights not to go in her area in the morning she goes free willing which I always feel better that I don't have to drag her in.

While my wife cleans up this area I am letting her go the bathroom and then I walk her again. She rarely goes potty in this area and waits for us to get home. However, we have a place for her to go if she needs too. After her evening walk I feed her and then my wife and I wipe her down with wet clothes. We have been doing this routine since we got her at 8 weeks old. Yes she is getting use to being wiped down nightly heheh

However, we are just about done building her new home which will be an extension on our office area which leads into her indoor room that is fully tiled including ceiling fan, exhaust fan, screen windows and doggy door leading to her outside kennel that is fenced. I have made this as comfortable and possible while we are away

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!  I am just worried about leaving a puppy alone, but I know it gets done all the time.  Binga does really really got now BUT she is 8 months old.

And Britney sounds like she has a great setup!  Did she potty in her area when you first got her?  And what do you keep her in?  A crate or did you set up like a fenced in area?

I think getting Binga was one of the best decisions.  I did get frustrated with her at first, but I could not imagine life without her.  :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What your wife says is true    :)

Just because someone doesn't work doesn't mean they would treat the puppy right or love him/her as much.

Thank you SO MUCH for your replies.  It helps me out a lot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts