Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an extremely scary experience yesterday! Willow was choking on her food, I had fed her and then walked upstairs to talk to my husband. A few seconds later I heard an odd noise and turned to see Willow coming up the stairs towards me. She looked distressed and I knew from the sounds she was making and the look she had that she was choking. I know the heimlich for humans and pressed in the same spot on her (just under where the ribs come together) and she coughed up 1 piece of food but was still choking. I pushed a couple more times and food came up into her mouth, which she immediately chewed up and swallowed again.

She used to not be a big eater, but now gobbles up her food quickly. Any tips or special feeders you use to slow down your dog when they're eating? I never want to experience her choking again!!! She got some extra loving and cuddles yesterday and today ?.
I was surprised she came right to me while it was happening, like she was saying "help me!"

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
You can buy slow feeder bowls or a metal ball that drops in her dish. Also feeding her on a cookie tray will help slow her down as it's harder to pick up each kibble.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a friend with the same problem recently. I just think you need to start slowing it down by getting a different feeder. Get a bowl with knobs on the inside. These can slow it down as it has to go round the ring while eating. This will slow it down.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
We bought duke a slow feeder that had a maze inside his bowl, looked like a great idea at the time until he got a rash under his chin it was terrible, after that we put a free rock from my garden in his bowl it seem to help.. cookie tray would have have been a good idea too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts