Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will this last? Is there anything I can do to help with this. Tank is 10 weeks old and I brought him home 2 days ago. He has his own crate. During the day he will walk in and out of his crate and go inside of it to take naps and play with his toys as you can see from the pictures. But at night when I put him in the cage he goes crazy b/c he cant lay beside me anymore. And it seems like he almost never stops crying. I dont think I have got much sleep in the past two days b/c of it

Attachments

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The only thing I can offer is "to hang in there". Keep the crate in the bedroom with you so he can see you. Do not give in to his crying and let him out. I know it is hard, but if you give in, he will only learn to cry to get his way. It should get better each night. Remember he is still a very tiny pup, a very cute one I might add. If you only brought him home two days ago he is probably just missing his littermates. It sounds like you are doing everything right, just hang in there!

Welcome to the forums! Tank is a gorgeous pup!!   :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure if going back to the breeder is feaible or not. But if so, I would recommend getting a sheep skin stuffed toy and place it with his litter mates and mom for a while. Sheep skin absorbs odors really well and it might provide him some comfort to have that smell in his crate. We did this with our pup and she barely had any issues with her. She wimpered for less then a minute a couple nights. We got her from Pet Land (I know, never again will we do this) so she might have already been used to being in a crate.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree with the "don't give in" bit. If a boxer gets his way by crying there's no way he's going to stop using this as a technique to get his or her way! They're really clever at manipulating us owners with whines and whimpers and looking like they're just about the saddest and most miserable creatures on this earth because we're not giving in to them. (often for food). They have a wide range of emotional arms  :cry: which include: the whimper, the sad face, the heart wrenching sigh, the unblinking stare, the sulk etc. etc. Everything to make you feel like you're the most cruel  :twisted:  'dog parent' in the world. I give in most of the time but i don't recommend it for others unless you don't mind your boxer being 'top dog' in your home!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
When we first brough Chloe home she would whimper at night. This lasted for about a week. Mostly you have to take into consideration that you arent the only one whose life changed. The pup has to get used to you as much as you getting used to the pup. Give him some time and things will get better!! I agree with the dont give in and also dont acknowledge his cries, unless he needs help of course. If you acknowledge the crying and whining this will also teach him if he that you will give him attention if he cries for long enough!He is a beauty! congrats on him!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
You have recieved some good advice! I would wait it out! My girl still cries when she is alone lol and shes going on 2! You are doing a good job by letting him go in and out at his own will, it will help him get use to his crate!

By the way hes a handsome devil :lol:  I think my girl has a crush on him :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You are on the right track and time will be your answer.  It usually takes a week or so for them to figure it out and settle in for the night.  Give them a nice toy or two that they only get to have in the crate that will help them refocus after they realize they aren't getting out regardless of how much complaining they do.  I am glad you have the crate in your bedroom.  That is a wonderful way to bond with your dogs and while you're sleeping!  

He's adorable by the way...............................

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think everyone has given you some excellent advice..I also found taking an article of clothing of mine and putting it in the crate helped..That way the pup gets your smell also...I used a wind-up alarm clock also....Pretty much, after about a week, the pup gets over it...I know one nite, I got soo worried that we were keeping the neighbors up with Buck's whining my ex got up and took Buck, wrapped him in a blanket and sat out in a lounge chair on the patio all nite..... :) Yea, yea, I know, wrong thing to do, but everybody got some sleep that nite  :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Tank is adorable.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts