Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

So we all know that puppies get eye boogers.  Beckham had one this morning that was HUGE, and was in AND out of his eye, and his eye is pretty crusty now and looks kind of irritated.

Can puppies get "pink eye?"  Is this normal?  I would call the vet, but ours is closed on Sundays.

We used a warm cloth to wipe all the icky out and will keep an eye on it.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have noticed when Nyla is outside for long period of time, she wakes up with huge eye boogers as well. But if his is looking irritated, I would just keep a warm cloth handy like you are already doing.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there BB :)
Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i think conjuctivitus is a common thing in dogs with protuberant eyes. If you've seen photos of Voltaire you'll know his lower lids hang down - this means he picks up a lot of muck in them... he's had eye infections 2/3 times and the symptoms sound similar to what you're describing - a big blob of sticky goo in the morning?? My vet prescribed 'fradexam' eye drops twice a day and it cleared up really quickly both times. I even found out that i could buy the eye drops from the chemists (pharmacy? drug store? - whatever u call it?? :?  :lol: !!!) without passing through the vet - it's the same stuff as for humans in his particular case. Bathing it like you're doing is good to clean the eye - but if it's still gooey tomorrow, back to the vets i'm afraid  :( .
Good luck!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info :)  I looked up that medication and I don't see it here in the US.  My girlfriend takes the dog to work every day, and she said his eye is much better today, so we're going to wait for a day and see if it continues to improve.

ohhh pups and their wide assortment of random problems !  :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
Take the dog to the vet if the stuff is green - Chloe got an eye infection and it was definately noticable - her eyes were red and very swollen and there was green stuff coming out.  She normally has white or slightly yellow discharge from her eyes .

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
try to keep the area around the eyes clean... we a paper towel with warm water and just keep cleaning around his eyes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts