Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am posting because I need guidance on my dog’s right eye. Ever since we got him it’s always been a bit red and droopy. At his first vet appt when he was 8 weeks old, the vet told me when we finally get him neutered (around 1 year) she would recommend getting eye surgery for him because his eye was droopy. She also recommended nose surgery because his nostrils are small. I understand that both of those issues are common in boxers and I informed my breeder just as an FYI in case she maybe wanted to consider not breeding that line anymore. I think she was slightly offended and told me I needed to go to another vet that understood the difference between a European boxer and a American Boxer. Anyway, I digress. Obviously the vet didn’t think either issues were urgent because she recommended waiting till he was neutered and doing it all at once.

Now time has gone on and he’s almost 5 months old and his right eye is always super red and saggy. The other morning he had goop in them and I brought him because honestly it reminded me of pink eye. She told me not to worry and that it’s just part of his saggy eye and I’ll probably have to deal with it till he the eye surgery.

So am I being paranoid? Do I go to a different vet? Or is this because he’s a European Boxer and it’s normal? I’ve read other posts and it seems like maybe this type of issue is common. I’ve attached a picture of him and you can see the redness. He doesn’t itch it or seem like it bothers him, probably bothers me more than him.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a mostly Euro male his eye area was loose looking like that when he was younger its not now your dogs eye doesn't look at that red to me and as far as the nose surgery goes I would get another opinion on that as well as the neutering most Vets are recommending at least 2 years old now for neutering my male is 2 now and I am choosing not to neuter him at all but I am a responsible person so he will not be breeding but I do want to protect his health. They are saying early neutering can lead to health and development issues so I would advise reading up on that too. The Euros noses are shorter and they do make more noise when breathing sometimes but not all the time. Your puppy is still developing and his nose will lengthen some and his head will spread out more so he is still in process of growing until 2 years old so things are going to change for him I would consult another Vet if I were you to get another opinion before putting your guy under the knife.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a mostly Euro male his eye area was loose looking like that when he was younger its not now your dogs eye doesn't look at that red to me and as far as the nose surgery goes I would get another opinion on that as well as the neutering most Vets are recommending at least 2 years old now for neutering my male is 2 now and I am choosing not to neuter him at all but I am a responsible person so he will not be breeding but I do want to protect his health. They are saying early neutering can lead to health and development issues so I would advise reading up on that too. The Euros noses are shorter and they do make more noise when breathing sometimes but not all the time. Your puppy is still developing and his nose will lengthen some and his head will spread out more so he is still in process of growing until 2 years old so things are going to change for him I would consult another Vet if I were you to get another opinion before putting your guy under the knife.
Thank you so much, that eases my mind a bit about his eye.
The neutering comment sent me down a rabbit hole. HAHA, so many people with very strong opinions on that topic. Now I think I might just pass on neutering him all together. The vet did say to wait as long as possible for the neutering to allow for his growth plates to fully develop, but said typically that’s completed by the time they are one so I was just going off what she told me. I don’t think she’ll be offended if I tell her I don’t want to neuter at all.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Agree with luvmiboxers about the eyes. I have no clue about the nose, never heard that one before.

Its called ectropion and it is somewhat common with the euros. My dog had the same thing as a pup. It tightened up a bit when he matured but is still a little droopy. You notice it more when they are tired. My vet said just keep an eye on it. Well its been 5 years and he has never had an issue with it. I personally wouldn't do surgery unless there was an issue. If there is no problem then its just basically you throwing money away for a cosmetic surgery.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Thank you so much, that eases my mind a bit about his eye.
The neutering comment sent me down a rabbit hole. HAHA, so many people with very strong opinions on that topic. Now I think I might just pass on neutering him all together. The vet did say to wait as long as possible for the neutering to allow for his growth plates to fully develop, but said typically that’s completed by the time they are one so I was just going off what she told me. I don’t think she’ll be offended if I tell her I don’t want to neuter at all.
Well ... this "time," I'll try and be helpful with the "Rabbit Hole," because as you have seen "opinions" vary. :)

If you are going to have a dog "fixed," the later the better! You know when you do have the choice. Doesn't count with rescues because you usually have no option, so altering "very young," is not that bad ... you know when you don't have choice.

When you do have a choice ... the later the better! Your vet is "almost right," for a medium to large sized breed. At one year old they "Slow down in growth plated development," but they are not done growing ... "Taller," six to eight month's more growth in height (still) to go, apparently?? Now past 18 month's they will still continue to fill out for another year. But at 18 month's that pretty much as "Tall," as they are going to get??

And 18 month's is not some random number pupped out of the air. "The Verein für deutsche Schäferhunde (SV) which translates to the Society for German Shepherd Dogs was founded by Max von Stephanitz and his colleague, Arthur Meyer, in 1899."

It's from those guy's in Germany uh where "Boxer's," also are from. The standards to be able to breed a dog are uh "strict!" And one of the test is a 13 mile run! And to be able to even "try," that test the dog/puppy need's to be at least 18 month's old ... the "German's don't play!" Good enough for them ... good enough for me!

Now moving on from that as long as you are a "Responsible Owner," I say getting your puppy fixed ... "Does not matter??" None of my "dog's," were out there making puppies!

But ... being able to do that "without uh issue's" depends on your life style, and what you do with your dog's! And I can "almost guarantee," that if you are a "God Forbid," Dog Park Person?? And you take an unfixed male dog into a "Dog Park??" Which no serious trainer recommends doing with any dog fixed or not! Yeah I say "Screw," Cesar Milan on that point! You are just looking for uh ... issue's!

Cuz if there "happens" to be another, "unfixed male dog," in that "Dog Park," on that day, he will "zoom in on your dog like a laser!" And at that point ... "He will find out ... if you have his back??"

And you know ... you have a Euro Boxer, apparently?? And I can guarantee you, that any dog that decides to "Challenge him??" Would not be a dog that you would want to screw with!

A "Dog Park," is just like the "OK Coral," and if you take an "unfixed," dog out there?? Your just like "Doc Holiday," who simple "Clicked His Shot Gun," and Hell Broke Loose! Just saying. :)

My dog's were taught to "ignore other dog's" and "we," were not out there, in "Dog Park's! So you'd have "Zero Issue's," with my dog's ... but that is just me. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Yes he’s a Euro. We definitely do not want to stunt any of his growth. We want him to be the big guy he’s meant to be.

I don’t know if we’ll be dog park people or not? We live in Minnesota so we aren’t really interested in those at the moment because it’s cold and Gladstone is still a puppy so he really doesn’t need to go to one at this point. He hates being outside in general. I know that if we do decide to do dog parks, I wouldn’t be bringing my dog by myself and my hubby would come with. My dog is definitely a mama’s boy, but admittedly I’m not great at being an alpha to him and he has selective hearing when it comes to me. I do all his training and work with him every day but he still can be a little poop head and ignore me. I currently do not feel confident that i could keep him in check or trying to break up whatever confrontation came our way from another dog. If hubby is there, I don’t worry as much as Gladstone is typically on his best behavior and I know that hubby would stop something like that from happening.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Like Chip said dog parks and un altered dogs are never a good idea. I don't take my male anywhere like that we went briefly when he was a puppy as I was exposing him to all kinds of situations but that was brief and we were the only ones there. I don't let my now adult intact male interact with other dogs at all now its the right thing to do and he is always on a leash when not in my yard which has a substantial fence. He has never shown any aggression towards other dogs but we have had plenty of dogs show him aggression. You really have to be on your guard if you are going to keep him intact and the thing you said with him ignoring you that really needs to be addressed. You need to get good control of him now while he is young and small he needs to know he is required to come to you when he is called. Males can be very stubborn so its best to work on all of this now! He should respect you as well as your Husband.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like Chip said dog parks and un altered dogs are never a good idea. I don't take my male anywhere like that we went briefly when he was a puppy as I was exposing him to all kinds of situations but that was brief and we were the only ones there. I don't let my now adult intact male interact with other dogs at all now its the right thing to do and he is always on a leash when not in my yard which has a substantial fence. He has never shown any aggression towards other dogs but we have had plenty of dogs show him aggression. You really have to be on your guard if you are going to keep him intact and the thing you said with him ignoring you that really needs to be addressed. You need to get good control of him now while he is young and small he needs to know he is required to come to you when he is called. Males can be very stubborn so its best to work on all of this now! He should respect you as well as your Husband.
We definitely are working on it and every day it gets a bit better, just not there the way he is with hubby. We do training on a skill every day for at least half an hour, puppy classes on Thursday. If he’s being naughty we do this calm hold where we put him in our lap and hold him kind of snug till he calms down. Hubby was the one who was correcting him at first, but we realized he wasn’t listening to me so now I do it too. I also have stopped interacting with him if he gets to be a wild man and doesn’t correct. The picture attached is him pouting because he tried to bite me, so I told him no very sternly and went and sat on a spot he couldn’t share with me and didn’t give him attention for at least 10 mins. It was actually the first time I’ve ever seen him pout and be upset like that.

If others have tips, I will gladly take them.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Hubby was the one who was correcting him at first, but we realized he wasn’t listening to me so now I do it too.
Ok well it look's like you caught onto that lesson pretty quick!!

Ideally (in my experience) the one that does the "primary," training is the one the dog will listen to. And the "primary trainer," passes on the command's to there better half and the dog still obeys.

That is how it worked with my, "Hand Picked Prima Donna Puppy's." Uh in the past ... My current Boxer/Pitt Bella, was one year old when I got her and being a "She," instead of a "He," ... (I wanted another Boxer GIRL!) Long timers will get my meaning ...

So I have admittedly screwed up, by transplanting my "baggage unto her" my bad ... It's gotten better "now," but I messed up. Bella will listen to me but she "Kind of, Sorta, Figures listening to Marilyn ... is optional??? It's a new experience for me ... so working on it.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Thanks! Yes he’s a Euro. We definitely do not want to stunt any of his growth. We want him to be the big guy he’s meant to be.

I don’t know if we’ll be dog park people or not? We live in Minnesota so we aren’t really interested in those at the moment because it’s cold and Gladstone is still a puppy so he really doesn’t need to go to one at this point. He hates being outside in general. I know that if we do decide to do dog parks, I wouldn’t be bringing my dog by myself and my hubby would come with. My dog is definitely a mama’s boy, but admittedly I’m not great at being an alpha to him and he has selective hearing when it comes to me. I do all his training and work with him every day but he still can be a little poop head and ignore me. I currently do not feel confident that i could keep him in check or trying to break up whatever confrontation came our way from another dog. If hubby is there, I don’t worry as much as Gladstone is typically on his best behavior and I know that hubby would stop something like that from happening.
Ok, just to be "Clear Here," most certainly not I, nor the vast majority of member's here are "Encouraging Dog Park's??" Quite the "opposite in fact."

If you want to find a bunch of badly behaved dog's go, to your local Dog Park! Dog Park's are best used for "Proofing purposes!" After much work on occasion I would take my, pack fighting send you to the ER for stiches Wl GSD, to the Dog Park ... for "Proofing!"

Off leash of course cuz it's a "Dog Park." I was a "nervous wreck," par for the course for me cuz, ... "I trust no dog I do not know!" But ... this was "Rocky," and "we," had done a lot of work together to build our bond. Another story and while he did not have a crazy A$$, Mal's hyper focus ... on me.

He stayed by my side as we walked the Dog Park. He did not give a crap about other dog's!

Only two were there another Female GSD, that was the DP Sheriff! I tried to politely "Body Block," her as she approached Rocky?? Yeah .. right, she deftly side stepped me to check Rocky out! And he passed her test so she moved on. :)

I found that a bit scary ... but we did good! That was more than enough excitement for me!! So we moved on but ... not done yet?? Her buddy a Basset Hound also wanted to check out Rocky!! Gezz one dog "I don't know," in one day and my first time in a "Dog Park," uh ever in "10 year's at that time ... was more than enough stress for me!!

So I tried to politely ditch him?? Sigh, well you know if your "walking," in a fenced in Dog Park, yeah your not gonna ditch a "Basset Hound!" :)

He must have just plodded behind us for 30 minuet's?? He never sped up, he never slowed down. He just followed, I have no idea if Rocky knew he was there ... thou he must have. So finally, I gave up and let them me! So he met Rocky and Rocky got yet another passing grade!

So Rocky was fine but I was "stressed out!" Two unknow dog's in the same day, was wayyy, over my threshold! We got out of there!

And yeah I could go on and on about the dangers of "Dog Park's," but instead I'll just post this so that you know your instincts are right on that one.

: Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

And I am not doubting your Hubby's commitment to the family dog at all!! But mostly if "crap," goes wrong ... your dog would be at some distance from him?? And trust me ... no matter how fast a "human is??" They are not gonna out "speed," a dog that is ready to strike!

Yeah I tried that myself ... with a "I dare you to try it!" Technique with "Rocky on one of the occasions when he was threating my "Band Dawg!!" And I was right on top of him! Yeah well "Rocky said ... OK. I'll take that bet!! He won and it was sigh ... "Game On," yet again!

I still had stuff to learn, but it worked out well in the long run. Long way of saying if the "wrong dog," comes into a "Dog Park," and takes a dislike to your dog?? Damage could be done before "Back Up," arrives!

In a "Dog Park," your just looking for trouble. Pack Walk's are nice a option though I doubt they are happing now?? But all dog's with owner's on leash, that care about there dog's behavior ... is the way to go.

And when your out and about in your neighborhood?? LOL ... well I got that covered! Cuz one of my GSD friend's pointed out something to me in one of my numerous Dog Park tirades!"

Cuz in defending my "Dog," from other rouge dog's, well I am pretty good! I was 17 for 1! But MAWL (Mine Are Working Line) asked me ... well if your don't go to "Dog Park's?? Then where are all these loose Dog encounter's happening??

Well of course she already knew the answer. But I was stunned when I thought about it?? Cuz the answer is that most "Dog Attack's," happen ... close to home!!" And now ... you know. :)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If he’s being naughty we do this calm hold where we put him in our lap and hold him kind of snug till he calms down.
OK ... that, is just "wrong, on so many level's, it's a bit hard to explain" but of course I'll try. :)

Now granted I can be a "concerted, arrogant A-H, at times" ... but I can safely say ... that includes No Pro, that I would ever recommend and I only know and trust two Behaviorist! Susan Garret and Patrick B McCormick!

The holding bit ... yeah I could on and on that one, but you could also get a free sample of "The Other End Of The Leash," by "Patrick B McCormick," on Amazon and you would learn that "Dog's are not primates," they really don't like to be hugged ... it's not how dog's work.

If you "in the future," get another puppy or a rescue?? And you "tried," to do the same thing?? You just might find your self in a "whole world of hurt!" No one that works with dog's for a living and is good at and successful at what they do ... would recommend that approach??

That is not how dog's work. They work primarily off of "Visual Cue's," and "Pressure," you move forward towards them to increase pressure and step to relive pressure?? They watch, what you do ... not what you say!

I learned that many year's ago with my second Boxer Struddell, though I had no idea what I was doing at the time?? I was training recall and I for whatever reason, was using hand signal's and a verbal command at the same time?? I would say "Struddell Come," and she was like "whatever," but I would also give a "Hand Signal?? And then one hand ... I noticed that she responded, a mil second quicker to the "hand Signal," then she did "the Verbal Command!" hey whatever this work's the rest is history, I never thought about it again ... it's just what I do. :)

But back on point so you do the "huggee thing with your, "particular puppy," and it seems to work out fine ... "now??"

Well that's great but you know ... time goes by. And let's say you find a "Dog," you want to rescue "with unknow or questionable history??" And you try the same "Huggee thing??" It might not work out to well??

"No," serious trainer would recommend that approach! Just No! Boxer's can be crazy and nutty and I tend to say ... at least with "people," the American Lines pretty much "insane for company!" Thou you have to be careful with the last one?? And your not gonna hug that out of them?? And you can extrapolate, that to coming home, or company or grabbing your key's to leave them home??

But if you had a dog with unknown or questionable history ... would "Hugging them be a good approach, for awhile," be a good approach?? I'd say "No," myself.

I had my "puppies," who's history I knew, I have had rescues who history, I have no idea of?? Yeah the "Rescues," say stuff. But you know they only repeat what they have been told?? When I handle a "Rescue," I listen to what they say. But I say "show me dog??"

People Aggression, Dog Aggression Cat Aggression, whatever ... tell me what you know or don't tell, me anything (rescue pitt's from off the street) ... it's makes "Zero," difference to me. I'll find out "myself." Works out fine!

Ok so crazy tangent I suppose but to my point ... "stop the hugging to calm thing!" I can stay as "fact," that no one, that no knows, what they are doing ... does that!

Just stop! It can cause blow back in the future! In as much as your "Photo," of him on the coach ... already say's your breaking the best practices rules?? So from that I would guess he ... "sleep's, in your bed, he free roam's the home when your are out, and he is obviously on the furniture and he is not Crate Trained??

Now with the wrong dog or puppy ... all of that can be deadly! But you don't appear to have issues .. so moving on. Ditch the "Huggee Thing," right now and start working on him getting a "Grip!" Every dog needs to learn how to cope with doing "Nothing!" Dog's already know how to "move," they need to be "taught," how to do ... "nothing!"

It is a "thing," and every serious "trainer," that can actually help people ... knows and train's it! I outline it here and heck as to the furniture bit ... well you know ... "whatever," train "The Place Command," and you can use the "Coach," as a "place cot!" Only the "Command Matters!"

My PIA Pitt/Boxer uses a bolder when go to the "Dog Bowl!" :)

Ok all a bit crazy I suppose, but I explain it here, and you'll see "Sit on the Dog," so do that also!

Now I wrote that year's ago so asked questions as required. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Respectfully Chip, your comments and assumptions can be downright condescending. He is crate trained, sleeps through the night, never has been on our bed ever, stays in his kennel whenever we are not home or can’t supervise him properly. He’s potty trained and rings a bell when he wants to go outside too. He’s actually a really good dog and we are quite pleased with him. He’s only 15 weeks, I don’t expect perfection 100% of the time. He has a dog bed he lays on when he has free roam and we have taught him “place” so he if we want him to go there he does. He knows “come”, “sit”, “wait” “out”, “off” and “leave it”. He’s still a puppy so some days are better than others. Like I said he can be a turd sometimes but I would say it’s not frequent. Regarding the hugging thing we do to calm him. It works for us and my husband has had a boxer before. I was raised with huskies and malamutes. We are not strangers to large breed dogs. Everyone is going to do things a bit different. I respect that you have a different opinion but I do not appreciate your assumptions about us, just because we let him on our couch. We got a dog because we love them and want him to be apart of our family and we don’t mind him being on our couch.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sounds like your puppy is doing well and is very smart if he can do all that at his age. I think dogs should be trained to suit the owner whatever fits into your life. The come on the recall is one of the most important things I teach my dogs first because that can save their lives. The leash manners and being respectful of me and my Husband too the rest of it, well your puppy will grow out of the excited jumping around biting stage. I let my dogs on my bed and my couch! They have never learned place either I don't have to be in control over every move they make in the house they are not destroying anything or getting in the trash so I feel like its their house too. Works for me!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Respectfully Chip, your comments and assumptions can be downright condescending.
Aww, well in my defense for "you," ... "I stand corrected!" And I apologize for any offense, that was not my intent??

Cuz for "you," my basic "assumption's," were in retrospect "obviously," a bit off??" In my defense, I did question/acknowledge your (correct use of the the "Prong Collar" on a Puppy.) Now I get it, but for the most part JQP ... does not do that?? So I suppose that should have given me pause for other assumption's (I did make) about what you did or knew?? So my Bad There ... "sorry," for any offense.

And I will grant that the only thing three "Dog Trainer's," will agree on ... is that "one of them is wrong!" As I used to say on Germanshepardforum, alot. When they would tell me, I can't do what I'd already done, there is always, "That Guy," or "Girl." :)

And yes as long as one's dog's "Don't have any serious behavioral Issue's," then sure the Free Roaming, No Crate, Sleep In Bed and Up On The Furniture, is "no big deal." But ...if one happens to have a "Law Suit On Four Paw's," looking for a place to happen ... "pretty much every owner with "that issue," has those in common. And that happens, all the time. But yeah that was not "you," so my bad.

But the "Hugging thing??" I'll acknowledge, that you can get away with that with your dog's, ... with whom you have a sound relationship and I'll let it go at that. :)

Other than that and again ... sorry for being "PIA," my bad. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found my boxer as a puppy on the side of the road, I think he was abandoned. He was very weak and hungry and the leg was damaged,I just could not pass by and leave such a charm on the street to meet his death. I remember the guy and I picked it up and started looking for a good veterinary, in the end, the paw was intact. And all we had to do was feed him to gain weight. Since I have never had a dog, the veterinary clinic advised me to write a good blog for dog lovers more, where there is a lot of useful information. By the way, her name is Rachel and she is already about 9 months old and I am very glad that I found her that day. I saved her and she saved me from boredom.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Apology accepted, also I don’t use prong color on my dog.
Aww Jezz! Did I screw up twice?? I will grant that "my comments and assumptions can be downright condescending," ... sigh that is kind of a given?? Been working on it ... but hey I am quick to "apologize when I am wrong!" So you know half credit perhaps??

But I am also kind of, "pedantic also??" So am I one apology short?? Cuz "I thought," the member I was responding to ... had also said " they were working with a trainer, with a puppy and used a "Prong Collar??" I "specifically asked ... How old was the puppy," and the answer was "quite young," maybe 12 week's?? If that was "not," You?? Well I missed up again and mixed you up with someone else?? If I did ... "I apologize for that also!"

Now at that age ... we had a member on here that used a "Prong Collar and an "E-Collar!" On a very young puppy! I did say, "Not the Norm," but he posted his work on "Youtube," as well as on here. And in "PM's," I asked question's. I was impressed and his pup looked just fine! So yeah "stuff," can be done that is "Not The Norm,"... if your that guy/girl. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Aww Jezz! Did I screw up twice?? I will grant that "my comments and assumptions can be downright condescending," ... sigh that is kind of a given?? Been working on it ... but hey I am quick to "apologize when I am wrong!" So you know half credit perhaps??
I think that sometimes, your abundance of punctuation makes it hard to follow the idea you are trying to get across. I'm not trying to be rude, just pointing out something that I struggle with when I'm reading your comments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts