Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really didn’t know what I was doing with my first boxer. The breeder I bought him from told me to always leave food in his dish and let him eat as much as he wants. I did this and quite honestly with my boy Murphy it worked great. He was a beautiful boxer with great muscle tone. People commented all the time on how good he looked. as he went from puppy food to adult food I did it the same way. He would eat when hungry. He grew into a healthy 70lb adult boxer. He was never overweight. It wasn’t a gobble it up session when he ate. He ate casually as he felt hungry.

I now have a new pup (Geo) and his breeder tells me 3 to 4 feeding a day. Pretty much what I read online also says the same thing. This boxer pup is 9.3lbs at a little over 10 weeks old. At 8 weeks when I brought him home he was 7.6lbs. I have increased his amount being fed. I feel tempted to just let him eat what he wants when hungry like I did with Murphy. How do you feed your pups? Any input appreciated.
Thank you,

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have some friends who let their dogs graze, leave food in the bowl all the time. I personally feed three times a day. It works for our schedule. Ive never fed any other way so really don't know if it depends on the dog, etc. Seems like you have had success with it.

1,385 Posts
Puppies need to be fed multiple times during the day like the breeder says. I feed my adult dogs 2 times a day free feeding is really not a good idea. There is a risk of bloat if your dog is active at the time he just ate being the biggest risk. I like to have control over how much they are eating to keep their weight right.Puppies need more calories for proper growth and to keep their blood sugar up so more often is better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Puppies need to be fed multiple times during the day like the breeder says. I feed my adult dogs 2 times a day free feeding is really not a good idea. There is a risk of bloat if your dog is active at the time he just ate being the biggest risk. I like to have control over how much they are eating to keep their weight right.Puppies need more calories for proper growth and to keep their blood sugar up so more often is better.
Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Controlling you pups food intake has many advantages. An over looked one is being able to anticipate their bowel movements. Making potty training much easier. You'll soon discover the amount of time after your pups eaten before they have to go poop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Controlling you pups food intake has many advantages. An over looked one is being able to anticipate their bowel movements. Making potty training much easier. You'll soon discover the amount of time after your pups eaten before they have to go poop.
Thank you for the advice. So far he is doing well. At 10 weeks he goes to the door when he has to go and I open the door and he walks out and does his thing. We are so proud of him. We still carry him out after naps or first thing in the morning just to be safe 😀

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thank you for the advice. So far he is doing well. At 10 weeks he goes to the door when he has to go and I open the door and he walks out and does his thing. We are so proud of him. We still carry him out after naps or first thing in the morning just to be safe 😀
Wow sound like he is doing great! I only had one that was that easy. As the above post mentioned every time they wake up they have to pee and ever time they eat they will poop great rule of thumb for housebreaking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts