Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed Luther Innova Puppy and want to change him over to Innova Adult.

He is almost 10 months old and is about 67 pounds.

When should I make the change?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Puppy Food to Adult Food

No input?  come on, lets hear what you think... I need to buy another bag of food tomorrow.

·
Registered
412 Posts

My personal opinion is that so called puppy food is simply a marketing gimmick. You can switch anytime. Just get a good quality all life stages kibble. Your pup is still young so watch the protien level, I would stay in the 26- 28 % range. I think regular Innova is ok but I would have to look. Innova evo is way too high. We had poop issues with my female and Innova but that could have been just her. I'm not plugging it, but Canidea is a good all life stages kibble that seams to work for many dogs. But there are plenty of good ones out there.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Skyboxers\";p=\"52074 said:
I have always believed not to change them until 1 year.
 For what reason? As long as it's an all stages food it doesn't matter. In fact, a rotation of kibble that agree's with your pup each with a different protien source is a good way to go. Avoiding allergy development due to over use of one protien. This is not alway's easy though due to some of our pups sensitive tummies.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

We fed Donner Innova All Life (in the burgandy colored bag) for his 1st nine months. He did very well with it, hair and nails were nice, stools were firm and no upset stomach. We were very happy with it but changed to Merricks Wilderness Blend for variety. He's a little gassier and stools aren't as firm but he LOVES it. My plan is to rotate the Merricks with the Innova every few months.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for all the input... I bought a bag of Innova Adult.  I am going to transition him over the next week or so.  Wish me luck... I hope it agrees with his belly..

·
Registered
17 Posts

I agree with Bumpy... puppy food is a gimmick and surely you can feed an allstage formula from the beginning, and in case of adult formulas just stay away from high protein formulas until 6 months old at least.
A kibble rotation is great as bumpy says.

DonnersMom... I also tried Merricks with Scooby with the same result, Canidae worked better for him.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Feeding a dog food that reduces calories, protein, fat and calcium/phosphorus while maintaining the proper ratio (such as a large breed puppy formula) is not a bad idea for puppies of breeds that tend to grow extremely fast and have increased risk of developmental bone disorders.  All life stages dog foods are typically designed with moderate calorie, protein, fat, calcium & phosphorus levels which don't make them bad choices.  However, there are dog foods out their with high protein, fat, calorie, calcium content that would be bad choices.

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/elbowdis.htm

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/Optimal feeding of large breed puppies.pdf

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luther has been on the Innova adult food for almost one week

His stool is perfect and he is not pooping as much.  This food is great.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
that is good stuff. We are switching Vega over currently as well. She ate the Solid gold only because she had to really but we are switchign her to Call of the wild and she absolutely inhales her food now. At first she would pick out the SG but now she is jsut eating it all. So I am happy that she is Happy and I am Happy for your change to.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
that is good stuff. We are switching Vega over currently as well. She ate the Solid gold only because she had to really but we are switchign her to Call of the wild and she absolutely inhales her food now. At first she would pick out the SG but now she is jsut eating it all. So I am happy that she is Happy and I am Happy for your change to.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I always recommend Canidae. It was a top 10 food in the Whole Dog Journal and I know tons of people that feed it to their dogs.  Bonzer has been on it for over a month now and he never turns it down.  Their Lamb and Rice Formula is a true Lamb and Rice. Others claim only lamb and rice but also have chicken. They also apply the probiotics differently which helps for higher amounts and better digestion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
[quote="Bonzersmom\";p=\"53927":303pcx1j]I always recommend Canidae. It was a top 10 food in the Whole Dog Journal and I know tons of people that feed it to their dogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts