Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Depends on the dog - somewhere between 6-12 months.  What are you feeding?  I have read that it is generally not recommended that a breed (such as a boxer) is fed super high protein diet (which are in most store puppy foods which can be 40+% protein)- something with increasing risk of hip problems later in life.

I feed Canidae ALS - you can feed for puppy or adult - I think it is 24-28% protein - no corn or wheat - so no allergy problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been on different sites looking around and I am finding out that people are crazy.  They are talking bad about every dog food there is.  Saying all the ingrediants are bad.  I am confused and don't know what to think anymore.

·
Registered
770 Posts
We switched Daisy onto adult food when she was around 12 months old.
She has a dry food, it's Pets At Home Own brand food only available in Pets At Home stores here in the UK. It's a really good food which is the quality of Hills Science Plan and Eukanuba but a much cheaper price. Daisy is doing really well on it and really enjoys it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started out giving puppy food til now and Mitch is now 4 month old. He is now getting adult food. It is not good to feed high protein, over 26% to puppies. Some puppy food have 30% or more. I feed Nutro Ultra right now but I'm going to switch every couple of month or so so he'll get a variety of meat sources. I read all the labels to make sure there is nothing bad in the food that could hurt my dog. For explanations on the different dogfoods go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com
It's a great website but the 6 star rating is not for puppies. I would go with the 4-5 star rating.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Im with Burning River on this one!!!!!!

Jenn there are MANY bad dogs foods out there! Google the whole dog journal to get a list of the quality foods

Heather Hills and Eukanuba are not good foods!

·
Registered
2 Posts
From the Pedigree Puppy Food that I used to give mine, I have since switched to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. & Eagle Pack Super Premium.   [fade]

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you get a good adult food, you can feed that to your puppy no matter the age. The key is that you have to feed a puppy more than the recommendations for the adult.

Yes, many people are of very different opinions when it comes to dog food, and you'll never get a full consensus.

Jenn\";p=\"1065 said:
I have been on different sites looking around and I am finding out that people are crazy.  They are talking bad about every dog food there is.  Saying all the ingrediants are bad.  I am confused and don't know what to think anymore.
Jenn....the important thing is to educate yourself on the ingredients and what they actually are...here's a good starting list:

Corn (of all forms)- I's a filler, and it's hard to digest. Boxers are notorious for being allergic to corn.

By-products - consist of organs and parts either not desired, or condemned, for human consumption. This can include bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, heads, feet, and feathers.

Sweeteners - added only for appeal

Animal fat - Animal fat is a "generic" fat source that is most often made up of rendered animal fat, restaurant grease, or other oils too rancid or deemed inedible for humans. Look for a named fat source, such as poultry or chicken fat, that is naturally preserved.

BHA & BHT - known carcinogens

Food Fragments - Lower cost by-products of another food manufacturing process.

Brewer's Rice - see Food Fragments

Wheat Bran - see Food Fragments

Beef Tallow - cheap fat product

Meat and Bone Meal - if they don't want to name it, you probably don't want to know what it is. Also, it's generally made up from more bone than meat and it can be hard to digest.

Soy - filler

Flour - filler

Animal digest - exactly what it sounds like. Stomach contents and/or stomach acids

The dog food analysis page is a good starting point, but remember, this is all based mostly on one persons opinion, but it does give you a good listing of ingredients. Ideally, you want a food that's considered human grade. Some of those top brands are...Canidae, Innova, Innova EVO (Not recommended for puppies), Solid Gold, Merricks, Back to Basics, Blue Buffalo, and Wellness - all of which are on the Whole Dog Journal of approved food.

This is also a good site: http://www.rateitall.com/t-353-dog-food-brands.aspx

Just remember that when it comes to dog foods, not every dog is going to thrive on every human grade food, some just don't do very well on it. I love Canidae, but found the my girl just didn't eat it very well...she kind of picked at it. Now that I've switched her to Solid Gold, she eats readily and happily. So you need to find what fits your dog best :) And what you dog looks like on the outside is a good indication of the kind of food your feeding. My girl have very little problems with runny eyes, she energetic, and her coat is very shiny, soft, and looks awesome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
whorton3\";p=\"4636 said:
i feed mine purina one adult. lamb and rice. is that a good food to feed a 10 week old boxer
Personally, I would be feeding a higher grade food (I had an earlier post about that), one that is considered human grade.

Also, there really isn't much difference between puppy and adult foods. It's just important that you are feeding enough food for your puppy to grow and thrive on, which is usually more than you feed an adult. A senior food usually has less fat and energy in it, which is good for helping to keep the weight down on your senior dog - or overweight.

I would look into finding foods such as Canidae (who makes a lamb and rice food), Solid Gold, Merricks, or Blue Buffalo, as they are all human grade foods, and excellent to feed your puppy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alot of the boxer breeders around Alberta say that you should use the Raw Meat Diet.  This cosists of meaty bones, organs and certain veggies.  Has anyone else read up on this diet?

Cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I found this website and found it interesting way to rate food:  I also saw it on another website and they said it was from the service dog association website but not sure which website that is; the one I looked at didn't have it.  If you scroll to the bottom of the page, they have calculated the scores of some of the dog foods.  This is just one source of information, other places may have different opinions.

http://largedog.meetup.com/boards/view/ ... ad=2914614

1 - 13 of 13 Posts