Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

Duncan is 17 weeks old and he vet said he needs to be fattened up a bit (he was weighing in at only 22 lbs).

We feed Duncan Iams for puppies of large breeds (what his previous owner was feeding him). The previous owner said meal time was always a challenge b/c he would not be very interested.

The vet said that the Iams is a good choice for this dog and recommended mixing wet food in with the Iams hard food. He also recommended having meal times (twice a day, so he doesn't graze). So we mixed in the ceasar for puppies wet food and introduced breakfast and dinner time. Duncan loved it and the first meal was fine but after the second meal with the ceasar it was downhill. He mess in his crate (never happened) and it was a constant flow of diaherra all night.

I went out and purchased Purina's Beniful for puppies. He ate it right up but again we were up all night with diaherra.

I know the little guy is hungry, so I give him the Kong with peanut butter to ate least coat his stomach since he is not eating (or it is going right through him).

I feel like an awful pet owner. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would recommend switching his food gradually and see if that is the issue. Dog's tummies usually don't handle switching food very well. Start out with 75% old food 25% new food and decrease the amount of old food over a week or two (depending on how well he is doing on the new food). He may just be having issues because the switch was so sudden that his tummy couldn't cope.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would recommend switching slowly as Dillon's mom suggested. But I recommend going to a higher quality food, Iams doesn't have much to it except fillers so the dogs dont get excited over it nor does it give them what they need. You can add a splash of Beef or chicken broth to help get him interested. Stick to the schedule, no need to graze, I feed 3 cups a day. But how does he look to you, does he seem too skinny? A picture would help but boxers are lean dogs, and some are very petite.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Puppies can go thru lanky stages, unless his hip bones and ribs are showing real bad, I would not worry too much and just up the food abit. Also add in some eggs, cottage cheese, peanut butter kongs and or other fatty treats to get some weight on.

On the food front. Those kibbles are not going to be the best nutritionally. They are filled with tons of fillers such as corn, white rice, by products, etc. What happens with this is that the food goes in one way ----> right out the other end. Providing no real nutrition to the dog - hence why you may have weight gaining issues.

Check out this website - Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

It will give you ratings on dog food. For new pups I normally suggest food from Merrick and or Canidae. Chicken Soup for the Dog lover soul, wellness, California Natural are good ones. If you need to shop at Petco/Petsmart then Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Halo are all good foods.

Just try with a pup to keep the protein level under 28%.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i'm feeding my dog iams puppy for large breeds as well. he's not excited to eat--at all. in fact, he'd rather eat dirt rocks or dry leaves than his iams.

i'm going to go by costco today and look for something else. maybe artemis or blue buffalo. the phrase, "not fit for a dog" comes to mind when i see him just looking at his iams.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I'm feeding my 5 1/2 month old Merrick Puppy Plate which I sometimes add boiled chicken breast or a couple Tbs of wet food ( Merrick's Before Grain brand)to. She is doing very well on it. I get a lot of compliments on how healthy she looks. She was going through a growth spurt and I thought she was looking a bit on the skinny side so I'm giving her some peanut butter and a little more food.
Another one to consider if you plan to shop at Cost Co is the Kirkland brand. It has an A+ rating.

Iams, Science Diet, Beneful, Purina- the lists goes on, aren't the best food to give. I bet your baby poops a lot on Iams. Those food aren't nutritionally dense so poor puppy isn't absorbing much and it just gets pooped out! Read up on the type on Dog food that will benefit your baby. This forum is super as far as educating Boxer owners. I'm just a nut with my own nutrition so I'm the same way with my pups! Good luck!:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why are you feeding large breed? It has less fat in it for larger breeds who cannot afford any extra stress on their joints, i thought Boxers were a medium breed? My female Siberian is 2yrs and 22kg - i cant believe a 17week old Boxer should be more lol ...anyway!

I would suggest a puppy food of much better quality than Iams - vets recommend all soughts of junk. Depends on your budget but Orijen puppy food is the best, helped my two gain weight and you really dont have to feed a lot because it has soo much meat in it, also you could find another, cheaper dog food and feed 2 brands which is more economical. Try and find a dog food that has over 45-50% of meat, Orijen has 80% - most foods are bulked out with rice and grains which is just a cheap filler and your dog wont gain any weight on such brands.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why are you feeding large breed? It has less fat in it for larger breeds who cannot afford any extra stress on their joints, i thought Boxers were a medium breed? My female Siberian is 2yrs and 22kg - i cant believe a 17week old Boxer should be more lol ...anyway!

I would suggest a puppy food of much better quality than Iams - vets recommend all soughts of junk. Depends on your budget but Orijen puppy food is the best, helped my two gain weight and you really dont have to feed a lot because it has soo much meat in it, also you could find another, cheaper dog food and feed 2 brands which is more economical. Try and find a dog food that has over 45-50% of meat, Orijen has 80% - most foods are bulked out with rice and grains which is just a cheap filler and your dog wont gain any weight on such brands.
The IAMS Large Breed Puppy Food bag says for breeds +50lbs at maturity. Most boxers are around 65-70lbs, right? At least that's why I chose it. Just yesterday, however, I switched to HALO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The IAMS Large Breed Puppy Food bag says for breeds +50lbs at maturity. Most boxers are around 65-70lbs, right? At least that's why I chose it. Just yesterday, however, I switched to HALO.
Gosh Iams are crap - 50lbs does not constitute a large breed!

"General Appearance
Great nobility, smooth-coated, medium-sized, square build, strong bone and evident, well developed muscles.

Size
Height: dogs: 57-63 cms (221/2-25 ins); bitches: 53-59 cms (21-23 ins). Weight: dogs: approximately 30-32 kgs (66-70 lbs); bitches: approximately 25-27 kgs (55-60 lbs)." Kennel Club

I wouldn't stick with Iams either and would not buy them large breed food. How is Halo working for you? Never heard of it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
...I wouldn't stick with Iams either and would not buy them large breed food. How is Halo working for you? Never heard of it...

So far, I'm still mixing the HALO (Natural Dog Food) in with the IAMS. I still have about 7lbs of IAMS and am working it in so he doesn't get stomach problems.

Even with 1/8 cup of the HALO to 7/8 cup of the IAMS, he's much more excited to eat now. He'll finish an entire serving. Before, he'll just sit there and look at it. Sometimes, he'll look around and eat everything else but the food. I think I'll keep him on the HALO until a higher quality brand becomes available at the Petco near me. Most grocery stores only carry the really terrible stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So far, I'm still mixing the HALO (Natural Dog Food) in with the IAMS. I still have about 7lbs of IAMS and am working it in so he doesn't get stomach problems.

Even with 1/8 cup of the HALO to 7/8 cup of the IAMS, he's much more excited to eat now. He'll finish an entire serving. Before, he'll just sit there and look at it. Sometimes, he'll look around and eat everything else but the food. I think I'll keep him on the HALO until a higher quality brand becomes available at the Petco near me. Most grocery stores only carry the really terrible stuff.
Glad hes doing well on it, its important they enjoy and look forward to meals:dance:

·
Registered
11 Posts

No there not a so called large breed but most Large breed food is for dogs over 50lbs. And I have never seen a Boxer under 50lbs? So why not feed LBP?

·
Registered
542 Posts
No there not a so called large breed but most Large breed food is for dogs over 50lbs. And I have never seen a Boxer under 50lbs? So why not feed LBP?
When I think large breed, I think of german shepherds, rottweilers, dobermans, ect....and even some giant breeds fit into that 50+ catagory; newfs, sts, danes...

Boxers do not need a large breed formula....the bag says 50+ for a sales ploy. " well it says for dogs 50+ pounds, my boxer is 60 so it must be good for him".

There are many petite female boxers, my girl is one of them. She is only 48.8lbs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts