Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i  heard of other peoples vets doing blood work before but our vet said nothing about any blood work. do they need blood work done before being neuterd?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
when i worked at a vets office, it was something that was offered. We typically recommended it for the older dogs. If champ is a pup, that may be why your vet hasnt said anything. Its been a few years, and i dont honestly remember what the bloodwork checked for. There are a few others here that can let you know though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks hes only 4 months but my bfs family also has a boxer thats the same age and hes getting blood work done and i wasnt sure it might just be because his balls didnt drop yet or for the tumor he has on his foot im not sure tho

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think mostly it's optional. We we were pretty much required to do it when we had Kaci spayed because of her size, but your pup should be just fine without it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah everything I read said that 6 months is the minimum age to get fixed.  The vet agreed and has Oggie scheduled for then.  If I have my facts wrong, I'd like to know!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my vet said 4 months was fine and i wasnt sure so posted on another forum and alot of people said it didnt matter and the earlier the better and that the healing process is faster or somthing and that anywhere from 4-6 months is fine

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Bloodwork was an option for both our dogs.  It cost 70 bucks more and I opted not to do it because both were healthy, and both were around 6 to 7 months old.  I think bloodwork becomes more of an issues with mature dogs.  I would make sure the vets don't use ACE and then it's up to you if you want the bloodwork done.  The bloodwork could help indicate potential problems so I'd at least find out what the cost is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts