Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 5 months old and doing amazing with training. She knows quite a few commands but she doesn't quite understand lay down. I use bait training with her but she just jumps up out of a sitting position tries to get the treat, does anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to lure her from a sit? Where you have the dog in a sit and hold the treat in your hand close to her nose and bring it to the floor?

Seems like she is getting too excited to hold the sit on the way down. Maybe you can work on more focus work before trying "lay down", also holding a sit during distractions. You can also give her a treat when she lays down on her own, but you have to do it as soon as she actually lays down, its basically marking the natural behavior.

I can't exactly remember how I trained my guy to lay down, but it wasn't by luring. I concentrated a little more on the focus part in the beginning. Everything after that was pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
My pup is 5 months old and doing amazing with training. She knows quite a few commands but she doesn't quite understand lay down. I use bait training with her but she just jumps up out of a sitting position tries to get the treat, does anyone have any tips?
I taught my latest to go into a down from a standing position. I gently placed my hand on his writers and gently squeezed on each side and he went into a down automatically and was then rewarded. I have also taught others from a sit and lured them by showing the treat and taking my hand to underneath their chest going further back if necessary and the dog again would atomically go into a down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your pup is only five months – I think a mistake some people make is teaching new commands before the dog really understands and can execute the “old” commands. The issue might not be that she does not understand lay down, but that she has not yet fully understood the sit command. She could be getting confused, you need to make sure she does not start making sit command mistakes and that these then turn into a habit and getting rewarded for doing so. Do you have her sitting next to your left leg or in front of you when you want her to go from sit to lay down?
Patience is the key and also making sure the fully understand commands before moving to a new command.
We have always used treats to train our dogs.
Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts