Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LITTLE BIT IS A 15 WEEK OLD WHITE BOXER,WHOM I GOT FROM A BREEDER IN ARKANSAS AT 9 WEEKS OLD.
SHE IS A SWEET BOXERS,BOY SHE IS HARD TO HOUSE BREAK, I TRIED ALL OF YALL ADVICE.I CALLED A BREEDER AND
SHE SAID CRATE TRAIN HER, I AM CRATE TRAINING HER FOR 3 DAYS NOW, BOY IT WORKED. NO PEEE OR STOOL ON MY HARD WOOD FLOORS. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE YALL..

I HAVE A QUESTION. I TRIED ALL KINDS OF PUPPY FOOD WALMART SALES,BENEFUL, PURINA ONE,PURINA PROPLAN,MAXIMUM PUPPY. THEY GIVE HER TOO LOOSE 0F A STOOL.WHAT CAN I FEED HER????

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I bookmarked a list of very good foods in the diet & food section. It's titled recomended foods for boxers...The list is very good and you should be able to find something that will work. Anytime you switch foods, keep in mind it needs to be done gradually. Some boxers have a very delicate digestive system and it takes awhile for them to get used to a new food...Someone jump in if I have this wrong, but what I do is first week: 2/3 old food, 1/3 new. second week about 50/50. third week about 2/3 new and 1/3 old...Angel is very slow to accept new foods so I allow an extra week for her..Samson, now he will eat anything!!! Lol...

Glad to hear the crate training and housebreaking is going well..Expect slip-ups, it's all part of the process :) Sounds like she might be a big girl..Are her parents of German lines? They tend to be a bit bigger than American boxers.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
One of my pups had a hard time with diet, any food, while young.  It could be you are feeding too much too your pup and his digestive track is still immature.  There is a product called Fast Balance GI (Vermont Science) that I used for my pup with the problem and it really helped him get over that.  It is a natural product and you can order it on line, just google it.  I highly recommend it from my past experience using it over the past 3 years.  You probably won't even need the full amount of the recommended dose after a time or two of giving it.  I use it on my adult dogs also with wonderful results when loose stools occur.

Good luck with the new baby.

Nano

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some one told me to get her science diet food, any info on this food, never heard of it.please give me some advice....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
boxer2crazy\";p=\"6905 said:
some one told me to get her science diet food, any info on this food, never heard of it.please give me some advice....
Stear Clear of Science Diet.

Im feeding Jessie Nutro Dry right now, and ever since i switched her from Canidae she has had loose stools... some times going twice on one walk... im thinking about switching her back again...  Canidae is the only food shes eaten that didnt give her loose stool

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I give Odin Purina One healthy puppy formula... his stool is just right so I guess I won't be of any help. You'll get great advice here though. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Science Diet is pushed hard by vets in my area, but i would stear clear of it. Full of fillers and stuff. Just not a very good food.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice on science diet. the vet wanted me to buy some for her since she has a sensitive stomach...i was using purina one...it was giving them too loose of a stool..

·
Registered
214 Posts
SCIENCE DIET FOOD IS REALLY GOOD FOR HARDER STOOL. i FEED IT TO ALL THE DOGS!!! ALSO IF YOU HAVE PETS MART, THEY MAKE A FOOD CALLED BLUE. iTS GREAT TOO!!!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
tyson429\";p=\"6933 said:
SCIENCE DIET FOOD IS REALLY GOOD FOR HARDER STOOL. i FEED IT TO ALL THE DOGS!!! ALSO IF YOU HAVE PETS MART, THEY MAKE A FOOD CALLED BLUE. iTS GREAT TOO!!!!
Science diet is one of the worst dog foods... ive heard it called science death!

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... /7/page/20

it gets one star on this very reputable website..

there are plenty of good food that you can give your dog to ensure a regular stool consistancy!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I really would not recomend Science food, in any form. If you read the list that I posted, you will not find it on there..It has a lot of filler in it, which can upset a boxers tummy...I switched over to Blue Buffalo recently and I am having some issues with Angel with loose stools, but I'm going to stick it out as I think she is just slow to adjust..Please take a look at that list, I'm sure that you can find something that will work for you...Try something with lamb, or even duck, there are a lot of choices out there, so no reason to settle for less...

Most vets that hype Science food get a kickback from the manufacturer, so keep that in mind....If you asked them (the vet) would they say that they feed it to their dogs or cats?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I am going to pick apart the Science Diet Lamb and Rice Puppy Food ingredients first because I don't know what formula you are feeding:
Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Lamb meal is simply lamb meat with the moisture removed, making it suitable for use in dry food. Not bad.
Brewer's rice is a lower quality rice product that is missing many of the nutrients found in ground rice and ground brown rice.
Whenever flour is part of an ingredient's name, the grain has been processed and some (or all) of the nutritional value has been lost.
Corn Gluten Meal is used as a very cheap protein filler.
Ground wheat is a good quality source of carbohydrates. Because it includes the entire wheat kernel, it contributes additional protein.
Animal fat is a by-product of meat meal processing.
Egg product consists of the unused leftovers from eggs for human production. It can include undeveloped eggs, shells, and other tissues unfit for human consumption.
Dried beet pulp is added to some pet foods to act as a fibrous stool hardener. It's just more of a filler.
Chicken liver is used in pet foods primarily as a flavor enhancer.
Citric Acid is a weak water-soluble acid found in many fruits (especially citrus fruits) ; used as a flavoring agent. Can also contribute to the Bloat risk if food is moistened.
Rosemary, along with its cancer prevention properties, is a highly effective preservative.
This formula is much better to feed than the original Science Diet Puppy food. That formula has Ground corn which is the entire corn kernel, ground or chopped.
Corn products are commonly used in pet foods as a main protein source. I believe that was the first ingredient listed.
It also has Chicken by-product meal which consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
The rest of the ingredients are about the same as the lamb and rice recipe. I personally wouldn't feed this food because of the corn, wheat , citric acid, and by-products that are used.
And that's just my 2cents worth!  :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the advice on science diet, i think i stick to purina one. since they don't sell blue here there i live at ..

i will switch her to adult food when she is 6 months old, that what the vet said to do

1 - 15 of 15 Posts