Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your puppy get them? Seems like Ava gets the hiccups quite a few times a week. What could be the cause? She will get them while just laying around, sleeping and after eating. They go away fairly quickly.

Any advise? Is this something to worry about?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Londyn had them ridiculously for about the first 4 months! Every time that she ate almost. Then periodically from there. I felt so bad for her because she would just look at me like what is happening. I would usually lay her next to me and rub her to soothe her. They eventually would stop. Not sure if there is any puppy hiccup cures out there. Our vet said it was normal. Some research that I found said that it had to do with them eating fast or digestion.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's funny that you mention hiccups. Lula has had them several times since yesterday. She just looks at me like "make it stop!"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I know! That look just killed me! All I could do was hold and rub her. It was pitiful.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
my trainer told me they get the hiccups because they are growing so fast that the diaphragm grows at different speeds as does the rest of the body.... Brutus is still getting them at 4 1/2 months....

·
Registered
115 Posts
My yorkie would do that "reverse sneeze". It's weird sounds like a coughing but air going through the nose and mouth . Not an " ah chew" but a "cach hem " kinda noise. Imagine the jowls being blown with air too. You'll know it when you see it. Lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am not exactly sure how to explain it except as a ''reverse-sneeze'' lol. Its like the air goes in instead of out and it make a really hacking/konky noise. Buddha gets it all the time. His eyes go all pink and watery.. its so sad. He has been checked by the vet and is fine though.. just something that happens in some dogs. Look on youtube.

"The most common cause of reverse sneezing is an irritation of the soft palate and throat that results in a spasm. During the spasm, the dog’s neck will extend and the chest will expand as the dog tries harder to inhale. The problem is that the trachea has narrowed and it’s hard to get the normal amount of air into the lungs.

Anything that irritates the throat can cause this spasm and subsequent sneeze. Causes include excitement, eating or drinking, exercise intolerance, pulling on a leash, mites, pollen, foreign bodies caught in the throat, perfumes, viruses, household chemicals, allergies, and post-nasal drip."

·
Registered
633 Posts
My chihuahua had them all of the time (reverse sneeze). The boxers do it very seldom usually related to allergies with the exception of one time it was kennel cough. But it was continuous with the kennel cough, not just random like with allergies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good info here regarding hiccups. Duke gets them after eating and I assumed it was due to the fact that boxers eat so quickly. So I buy him one of those big bowls with the round thing in the middle and now it takes him awhile to eat, but then I get to thinking....is he just taking in more air now? I mean it takes him longer to eat, so more gulps = more air...who knows. Maybe it really is just him growing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts